HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:13 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
I just got through flying my Beast 3D in 25mph winds with gusts to 32mph!!!...I was honestly scared that when I flew it down wind I wasn't going to get it back...The video is uploading on YouTube as I write this post....I'll post the vid as soon as it becomes available...

Kevin
Kevin,

Looking forward to the video! The B3D is absolutely uncanny in stronger winds. Was that on 2s or 3s? My record so far is 30 MPH gusting to 37 MPH - but that was on 3s. I don't think I'll be breaking that one anytime soon. The peak G-loads were so extreme that the plane suffered significant structural damage during the flight - which included stationary snaps, rolls, KE, and touch & goes - plus a few big-air loops & WOT passes. Three popped flying wire sets, a severed interplane strut, multiple creases in the wings, and stress-related damage around the elevator & aileron horns. But anything up to around 30 MPH seems to be just fine. I've got quite a few hours of wind-surfing in 25+ MPH winds on mine, and she's still hanging in there.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
This is caused by overheating of the Voltage Regulator(VR). the VR has a small metal heatspreader on the bottom of the brick. I added a heatsink to my VR for reliable 3S operation. I also added a small scoop to the cooling hole the aileron wires go through as it is directly below the VR.

-Brian
Now, that's a well used, "workin' man's" airplane right there!
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:33 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Kevin,

Looking forward to the video! The B3D is absolutely uncanny in stronger winds. Was that on 2s or 3s? My record so far is 30 MPH gusting to 37 MPH - but that was on 3s. I don't think I'll be breaking that one anytime soon. The peak G-loads were so extreme that the plane suffered significant structural damage during the flight - which included stationary snaps, rolls, KE, and touch & goes - plus a few big-air loops & WOT passes. Three popped flying wire sets, a severed interplane strut, multiple creases in the wings, and stress-related damage around the elevator & aileron horns. But anything up to around 30 MPH seems to be just fine. I've got quite a few hours of wind-surfing in 25+ MPH winds on mine, and she's still hanging in there.

Joel
Hey Joel!!!...I was flying from a confined space (my back yard) and was afraid to do anything but fly level...My plane is on 2S with a 5030 GWS prop...My batteries are 300mAh 35C NanoTechs...I'm POSITIVELY CERTAIN that had I been using stock batts and prop my plane would have been blown down wind into the next county!!!...I don't think that I would have gotten the plane back when flown down wind with a stock setup...My plane did execute a 1/2 roll uncommanded in the wind as shown in the vid...As you know when winds are measured they are at ground level and up higher the winds are stronger...When I flew winds were actually 25mph with gusts to 32mph...At approximately 2:25 into the vid you can hear the winds kick up to almost a hurricane roar as the mic did it's best to muffle the wind noise...

Here's the caption in the video description:

"Winds were actually 25mph and gusting to 32mph at ground level...WInds up higher are much faster...The Beast doesn't go much faster than 40mph so when I launched I was scared I wouldn't get the plane back when I went down wind!!!"

You can hear my commentary in the vid...Now that I've flown the Beast 3D in these strong winds I can say that at least I tried it...Now, I'm not going to fly my plane in these winds again as I can say "Been there, done that!!!"...

Kevin

Beast 3D 20 30MPH winds (3 min 8 sec)
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:44 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,161 Posts
Kevin,

Wow - that was some serious wind there for a bit! I agree - if you would have been running the stock pack or prop, the plane would have been unable to make headway. I've never attempted to fly in that much wind on 2s! I think 20 MPH is about it (as measured near the ground). However, I really enjoy doing stationary aerobatics in higher winds on 3s. Here are a couple of my higher-wind flights:

B3D in an 8-19 MPH wind. Stock w/5030 prop & Hyp 240 2s pack:

UMX Beast 3D in an 8-19 MPH wind (8 min 53 sec)

B3D in an 8-26 MPH wind. I'm running the 2300 Kv/5043 combo on a Hyp 180 3s pack:

Eflite UMX Beast 3D on 3s - in a 26 MPH wind! Stationary KE, elevator landings, etc (8 min 10 sec)

If you want to see a few more clips of the B3D in high winds, check out my blog thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1637935

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,020 Posts
Quote:
Kevin,

Wow - that was some serious wind there for a bit! I agree - if you would have been running the stock pack or prop, the plane would have been unable to make headway. I've never attempted to fly in that much wind on 2s! I think 20 MPH is about it (as measured near the ground). However, I really enjoy doing stationary aerobatics in higher winds on 3s. Here are a couple of my higher-wind flights:

B3D in an 8-19 MPH wind. Stock w/5030 prop & Hyp 240 2s pack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqg4tG-JI2Q

B3D in an 8-26 MPH wind. I'm running the 2300 Kv/5043 combo on a Hyp 180 3s pack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OJyqOZKHEU

If you want to see a few more clips of the B3D in high winds, check out my blog thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1637935

Joel
VERY COOL!!!...Just for grins and giggles I flew the plane again a few minutes ago...The winds seem to be letting up by around 5mph...Due to the surrounding area and swirling winds I experienced some SEVERE down drafts that just about planted the plane into the ground...I backed off on the power and gave full up which pitched the plane upward in the down draft...At the moment of pitch up I added full power to fly out of the down draft...I landed in the street with 1/2 throttle!!!...What an exillerating flight!!!...

Even though I'm running an exterior 10 amp ESC I get hot cutoffs generated from the brick when running 3S....I don't understand this as I'm running an exterior ESC but taking the throttle signal directly from the brick...I would think that the brick ESC/regulators would be taken out of the equation but they haven't...My ESC is rated for 4S so I'm sure that the cutoffs when on 3S are related to the brick...But I'm running a 2500kv motor---I need to drop down to the 2300kv motor for 3S...

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Oct 14, 2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:00 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
Now, that's a well used, "workin' man's" airplane right there!
Quote:
VERY COOL!!!...Just for grins and giggles I flew the plane again a few minutes ago...The winds seem to be letting up by around 5mph...Due to the surrounding area and swirling winds I experienced some SEVERE down drafts that just about planted the plane into the ground...I backed off on the power and gave full up which pitched the plane upward in the down draft...At the moment of pitch up I added full power to fly out of the down draft...I landed in the street with 1/2 throttle!!!...What an exillerating flight!!!...

Even though I'm running an exterior 10 amp ESC I get hot cutoffs generated from the brick when running 3S....I don't understand this as I'm running an exterior ESC but taking the throttle signal directly from the brick...I would think that the brick ESC/regulators would be taken out of the equation but they haven't...My ESC is rated for 4S so I'm sure that the cutoffs when on 3S are related to the brick...But I'm running a 2500kv motor---I need to drop down to the 2300kv motor for 3S...

Kevin
Your cutoffs are from the VR over-temping. slap a heasink on it and you'll be fine. The voltage regulator is really working hard to bring 11V down to 4.3V for the servos!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,020 Posts
Quote:
Your cutoffs are from the VR over-temping. slap a heasink on it and you'll be fine. The voltage regulator is really working hard to bring 11V down to 4.3V for the servos!

-Brian
Can you post a pic of what I need and where to place it???...This would be MUCH appreciated...

Kevin
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:06 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bob View Post
Tried my beast 3D on 3S with a 5030 prop and the v1 motor on rc babbels packs, added a heat sink to the fets. Could fly wide open but about 2 minutes in the motor quit and lost total control. Nose dive destroyed the airframe, but after the crash I had control and throttle again. Is this a thermal shutdown of the brick ? Anyone know where to get the airframe or full plane cheap? I would consider used if not crashed.
That was the voltage regulator shutting down. Some have put a little heat sink on that too. But the VR shutdown is extremely unusual. You loose everything... servos included.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
That was the voltage regulator shutting down. Some have put a little heat sink on that too. But the VR shutdown is extremely unusual. You loose everything... servos included.
You loose everything---YEP!!!---For about 3 seconds then everything is OK as long as you are at low throttle...

I have a heat sink that I can cut up to use on the VR...I just need a pic as to where to place the heat sink...I tried the 3S battery on a 2300kv motor...The motor didn't cut out as quickly as it did with the 2500kv motor, but none the less, the motor still cut out..

Kevin
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:53 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Kevin,

Joel
Are you sure of that wind speed? That's pretty incredible. As a sailor I know that over estimating wind speed is the norm...
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:47 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,765 Posts
My wife was a fire lookout for years and had a very complete weather station on site with digital anemometer and I was always amazed at what seemed to me to be 30mph wind would always be more like 10-15. I felt the wind make me stagger around and it would barely be in the 20's.
Not saying that anyone here is wrong, but I do very much overestimate wind speed.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:20 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
My wife was a fire lookout for years and had a very complete weather station on site with digital anemometer and I was always amazed at what seemed to me to be 30mph wind would always be more like 10-15. I felt the wind make me stagger around and it would barely be in the 20's.
Not saying that anyone here is wrong, but I do very much overestimate wind speed.
Mike
Well, anemometer are usually there to tell you how much wind there's on the ground, but I have to agree with you, even then, wind is hard to estimate. You can test it before flying and ten minutes later, it's 3 times stronger. In fact, when you fly FPV, you quickly find out that often, there's also a HUGE difference depending on how high you fly! Nothing better than a 5mph wind on the ground, then finding out (via your GPS and FPV) that your airplane, goes 75km/h one way (groundspeed) with the throttle almost off, and barely goes 10km/h the other way, with wide open throttle, the other way! Yet, once you land, wind is still 5km/h on the deck! Part of the fun of flying RC airplanes!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:15 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Can you post a pic of what I need and where to place it???...This would be MUCH appreciated...

Kevin
Here is a picture of the Voltage Regulator on a stock brick. It is the only thing with a metal heatspreader on it. I used Erkq's heatsink attachment method and just used thermal adhesive and attached the heatsink directly to the existing heatspreader. (not pictured)

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:05 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
What did you use as a heatsink?

Quote:
Here is a picture of the Voltage Regulator on a stock brick. It is the only thing with a metal heatspreader on it. I used Erkq's heatsink attachment method and just used thermal adhesive and attached the heatsink directly to the existing heatspreader. (not pictured)

-Brian
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:08 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,636 Posts

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member