HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2010, 02:32 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
1,002 Posts
Discussion
Conrad 450 vs gaui 330??

Been thinking of buying one of these but can't decide which way to go, it seems you get more for the money with conrad as it has accelerometers as well and looks far better although I understand the frame/landing gear is not too strong but gaui is far better known and parts are cheaper and easier to come by. I know by experience that a good parts back up is needed for these things.....

Many thanks for any of your views on this.
ripmax is offline Find More Posts by ripmax
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2010, 04:51 AM
Villebon sur yvette, France
Joined Mar 2010
428 Posts
Hi,
I have a QC450 and I have seen the Gaui flying in real.

The major advantage of the conrad is its software: you can define your own parameter on your computer.
The gyro gain on the gaui is changed by a screwdriver and a very small half of a quarter of a quarter turn on the screwdriver completly change the behavior of the gaui.

The original QC450 weight around 500gr naked . Actualy I'm flying on an aluminium frame (cf : maiden flight of the SLE-X9.01 frame )
total weight with Lipo 3000mah: 1015gr. and I fly for around 10/11 min.

motors and Lipo are not hot after the flight

I have seen that the gaui has some trouble with ESC too ...
catlord is offline Find More Posts by catlord
Old Jul 13, 2010, 05:24 AM
Kyalami, South Africa
Joined Jun 2006
1,509 Posts
I have not flown or seen the Conrad, but built in accelerometers means it will self correct far better than the Gaui which I do own. The frame on the Gaui is pretty bullet proof though and is way more robust that the Conrad's from what I have read.

I would be guided by application. If you are fairly new to heli's/quads then the Gaui makes more sense. Lots of crashes, cheap spare parts and more robust.

On the other hand if you fly well and have experience in quads/ helis then I would get the Conrad.

My Gaui flys very well in calm weather, but does not work well in wind. I fly mainly on 2 cell which enables very smooth controllable flights. I am using it as an FPV platform, and so far not 1 crash. IMHO the ESC issues are more related to overloading the frame or extreme stunts. Neither my motors or frame are perceptibly warmer than ambient after 10 minutes flying.

One of the reasons that the Gaui is not so stable in the hover in wind, seems to be response times of ESC/motor combinations to commands from the gyro. The new ESC's (10A and programmed for high speed changes in RPM) and Scorpion motors have been added to speed this up in the "S" version. I have ordered a new set of the 10A esc's to see how this improves things.

The Conrad uses I2C controllers that are designed for Quads and respond far quicker to gyro inputs. However they are expensive, and relatively rare.
kyalamikid is offline Find More Posts by kyalamikid
Old Jul 13, 2010, 06:50 AM
Joined Mar 2010
428 Posts
Kyala: you're right on the bullet proof frame of the gaui

This is a VERY bad point for the conrad: its frame is very fragile and you have to change it very soon because one crash break one arm link on the main frame.
the main frame is made in plastic while arm are in aluminium :when you crash, the aluminium destroy the plastic and to be pefect the plastic is ungluable ! We have tried lots of glue: araldite,epoxy, super glue: nothing can fix it. => new frame
Old Jul 13, 2010, 01:23 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
1,002 Posts
Thanks for your replies.... I have been flying for some years now and have a ufo5 and 8 as well as helis, so long as the quad is reliable in flight there should'nt be too many crashes!! that'll be the kiss of death now!!

It seems to me, apart from the frame the conrad 450 is a much superior machine and cheaper. Does anyone know if my futaba skysport 6 will work with the conrad?

catlord....Do you find yours reliable in flight, do you trust it? I find with the walkera ufo 5 although my flying skills are good it can dive to the floor with a dodgy motor or some other failure. I use it for taking video and would like to film over lakes etc, could'nt trust the ufo 5 for that!!
Old Jul 13, 2010, 01:34 PM
Kyalami, South Africa
Joined Jun 2006
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlord View Post
Kyala: you're right on the bullet proof frame of the gaui

This is a VERY bad point for the conrad: its frame is very fragile and you have to change it very soon because one crash break one arm link on the main frame.
the main frame is made in plastic while arm are in aluminium :when you crash, the aluminium destroy the plastic and to be pefect the plastic is ungluable ! We have tried lots of glue: araldite,epoxy, super glue: nothing can fix it. => new frame
Is the plastic polyproylene based? If so have you tried the plastic pellets that melt in warm water? I have had good luck with them on bonding to PPE....

Hopefully the new Conrad frame will fix this (I think August release?) but your frame is superb!
kyalamikid is offline Find More Posts by kyalamikid
Old Jul 13, 2010, 02:13 PM
Joined Mar 2010
428 Posts
Thanks kyala, it's a real pleasure to fly with this one

Is the QC450 reliable ?
well... everything is a matter of cost: if you plan to fix a go pro HD on it it's ok because if it crash you will loose 600€.
No quad, even a mikrokopter is reliable over water. On the french Mk board ,we have an exampe of an octocopter that have been lost in the sea with a big photocamera on it.

We found some small devices to save the quadri if you plane to fly over water:
http://www.water-buoy.com/

it's around 130€ for 24 water buoy.

The qc450 is reliable if you don't have a mechanical/electrical problem. If you stay with the original frame you can have a big payload ( around 400/500gr) and it doesn't fear the wind

For the plastic: the only thing that work is to heat the plastic until it became liquid then you attach it...
Old Aug 04, 2010, 07:24 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,928 Posts
Good thread. I have been slowly reading through the main Conrad one but it's huge! Can someone point me to info. on the new frame mentioned above? I wonder if new ones (it's out of stock till August 10th) might have it ...

I assume the 35 Mhz receiver on the Conrad is only the 4 channels needed to fly it ... no spare outputs for operating camera tilt etc.? And what crystals do you need (brand) for it? At the sites I fly at 35 Mhz is fine, so I'd be keen to go with that initially (I do have a DX6i as well though).
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Aug 04, 2010, 07:42 AM
Berlin / Germany
Joined Feb 2010
689 Posts
Hi all,
the Original Fram is made from Nylon , same as Polyamid.
Nothing normal you can not glue it togehter.
But with 85% Formic Acid, a little mixed with pieces or Powder of Polyamid together,
you can Glue it. It works fine. For a little Time.
But better is a new Frame. Keep it simple. Alu Cross Frame or Wood like my.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2bAXTL_XhM

http://www.youtube.com
/watch?v=0WH87oklm0A

Questions and Plans : rc_heli_halle@freenet.de to Mike
Rc Heli Halle is offline Find More Posts by Rc Heli Halle
Old Aug 04, 2010, 07:56 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,928 Posts
I was just reading on the Conrad.de site about the 'stabilisation plate' and new landing gear:

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/208946/STABIPLATTE

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/208945/LANDEGESTELL
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Aug 04, 2010, 05:16 PM
Joined Mar 2010
256 Posts
ripmax/Bill
I have a new unused Conrad sitting about doing nothing, plus a spare frame in good condition and a suitable data cable/software etc.
It was a replacement for the first one I got, whilst I was waiting for it I built a mikrokopter and hence I don't have a lot of use for it.
Drop me a PM if you're interested in buying it, otherwise it will probably appear on ebay.co.uk in the next few weeks.
jim80 is offline Find More Posts by jim80
Old Aug 05, 2010, 10:01 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,031 Posts
i am happy with mine

i tied a cam under it with some rubber bands and this is the result

http://www.youtube.com/user/cmulder002

With some software fine tuning i am confortable flying it in wind.
I agree the frame is weak.

For me its a good entry level quad but now i am saving up for a proper one like the mikrokopter one.
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Aug 05, 2010, 11:29 AM
Joined Mar 2010
428 Posts
Actually we are several french flying with the SLE -X9.01 frame with the conrad electronic inside
maiden flight of the SLE-X9.01 + conrad elec

and a key chain cam scotch tapped right under the front motor :
La résidence de villebon vue du ciel (3 min 7 sec)

no vibrations (well very very little but the rigidity of the frame is incredible to kil the vibrations ^^)
Old Aug 05, 2010, 02:48 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
1,002 Posts
Jim80, pm sent! Let me know what you want for it, cheers