New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:36 AM
Find More Posts by JWDen
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Aug 2014
263 Posts
Question
Why so little interest in the FMS L-13 or Moa?

A lot of folks seemed very interested in the larger (90 inch) Hobby King Blanik L-13 but not in it's smaller version the FMS LET -13 (59 inch).

Why is that? Is there some kind of prejudice against the 1.5 meter gliders or against FMS?

Full disclosure: I will not order anything from HK based on the rants I read in this forum about long shipping times and extremely poor customer support. So I guess I have some prejudice of my own.
JWDen is offline Find More Posts by JWDen
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2014, 01:49 PM
Lou
Find More Posts by Lou
Lou
Ground Penetration Tester
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
6,506 Posts
re: FMS L-13 ... mediocre 1500mm foam glider and for the price not a bad buy. The MotionRC flight report on it is not glowing but not bad either.

http://www.motionrc.com/fms-l-13-gli...-wingspan-pnp/

For my taste, silver is not a color I care for on a glider, it is a bit small and the YouTube vids do show just how small it gets when only several hundred feet high. Power system is limited to a 2s battery and that will bother some. My family having actually owned a full scale L-13 so I hate to see a motor on a L-13 model.

If one where given to me, I would remove the motor and make it a sloper.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2014, 02:12 PM
Find More Posts by JWDen
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Aug 2014
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
re: FMS L-13 ... mediocre 1500mm foam glider and for the price not a bad buy. The MotionRC flight report on it is not glowing but not bad either.

For my taste, silver is not a color I care for on a glider, it is a bit small and the YouTube vids do show just how small it gets when only several hundred feet high. Power system is limited to a 2s battery and that will bother some. My family having actually owned a full scale L-13 so I hate to see a motor on a L-13 model.

Thanks for your reply. The 2s battery is 1300mah and that will give it a 7 or 8 minute motor run which is plenty for an electric glider. I do understand your comment about removing the motor making it a sloper, I think it would be a much better sloper than a thermal ship but I no longer live near a good slope location.

BTW, since this is an Electric Sailplane thread, I'm surprised you are frequenting it since you seem opposed to motors, or did I misunderstand your comment?

JWDen is offline Find More Posts by JWDen
Old Nov 11, 2014, 02:25 PM
Lou
Find More Posts by Lou
Lou
Ground Penetration Tester
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
6,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWDen View Post

BTW, since this is an Electric Sailplane thread, I'm surprised you are frequenting it since you seem opposed to motors, or did I misunderstand your comment?

Yes, you misunderstood the comment.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1950043

Start at post 42.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2014, 04:19 PM
Find More Posts by uncookedlentil
United States, WA, Jefferson County
Joined Jan 2008
101 Posts
I've got the Hobbyking version of the Minimoa and while it's not my best floater, it's one of my favorites for pretty, I guess I'm just a sucker for gull wings. ;]
uncookedlentil is offline Find More Posts by uncookedlentil
Old Nov 12, 2014, 03:01 AM
Find More Posts by renatoa
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
17,365 Posts
Maybe because there is Bird of Time
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 12, 2014, 04:12 AM
Find More Posts by scirocco
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post

I learned to fly in a Blanik winch launching. Very fond memories if a bit vague after over 35 years. Although I do recall lots of short flights as we were at a coastal site with cool sea breezes = no thermals, not that far from a big airport = constrained airspace.
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Nov 12, 2014, 03:44 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
3,175 Posts
I think it's mostly due to size. At 1.5 meters with a scale paint job and power system it's pretty hard to get great soaring performance. Plus, if one does catch a good ride, the silver paint is not a great choice for visibility at any size.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Dec 24, 2014, 03:56 PM
Find More Posts by feldmarshal1
United States, AL, Smiths Station
Joined Oct 2011
29 Posts
Owned it now for about nine months and find it's power system (2S & up to 1800 Mah) to be very strong.
Not a great thermaling bird but good, even with the motor.
So good that I am adding flaps on a new set of wings to see how much more I can get out of it. I've used 1800 MAH battery and flown for a good 35 minutes in moderate thermal conditions, coming down with about 14% battery power left over.
Must agree, silver is not my first choice for color either.
Good value for the money, so by it and modify to your liking is my recommendation.

Feldmarshal1
feldmarshal1 is offline Find More Posts by feldmarshal1
Old Dec 24, 2014, 08:31 PM
Find More Posts by NB0W
Scott
United States, NE, Broken Bow
Joined Oct 2014
57 Posts
Knowing that my dad always gives $ for Christmas, I ordered myself a FMS Moa. It made it's 6th flight today.

I like it. I love the shape of those gull wings.
NB0W is offline Find More Posts by NB0W
Old Dec 25, 2014, 11:08 PM
Find More Posts by NB0W
Scott
United States, NE, Broken Bow
Joined Oct 2014
57 Posts
I had a lot of fun with the Moa this morning. The family was still asleep so I slipped out and flew for about an hour in 25 (F) weather. With only a light breeze, and the sun shining bright, it really wasn't all that bad.

I have three 2S 1,300mah batteries. With the Taranis voltage telemetry to know what is going on, I was getting about 18 minutes of flight time with climbing/gliding, climbing/gliding before getting down to 3.4v per cell.

I found out that with a bit of a dive/fly-by, I can even get a satisfactory "woosh" sound as it floats past. I just love that sound.

I'm new to flying, and I realize I don't know much .... but I'm really enjoying this little glider.

I felt kind of silly when this arrived. I ordered it from MotionRC and it arrived with the airplane box inside a shipping box. I opened the flaps to the shipping box and inside was the L-13. I called Motion to let them know they sent me the wrong one. He asked if I had taken it out of the shipping box yet. I said "No". He said go ahead and take it out and turn the airplane box over. I did that, and there on the other side of the box was the Moa. Apparently they use the same box for both planes. I apologized for wasting his time, but he was gracious and assured me I wasn't the first to call about that.
NB0W is offline Find More Posts by NB0W
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:54 AM
Find More Posts by CrashB0y
Joined Jan 2015
2 Posts
Hey There,
I have just got my first glider - LET 13. I have no experience and took it out for a flight - three short flights later - crash. Repaired now but cautious and would like to know if you have any advice about a simulator that I can train on so I don't ruin the glider?

I have a free FMS simulator and am using a radian pro model on that. Just checking if you guys have something that flies like/close to the real thing?

Appreciate any advice.
Thanks
CrashB0y is offline Find More Posts by CrashB0y
Old Jul 29, 2015, 09:46 AM
Find More Posts by uncookedlentil
United States, WA, Jefferson County
Joined Jan 2008
101 Posts
Crashboy, start with a UMX Radian! They fly themselves practically and will give you hours of friendly thumb time while your getting your skills sorted out.

I bought my FMS Moa , just to have a small airpark runabout, finished building it yesterday and was very happy with quality and fit! Looks well thought out, field assembly is going to be a bit fiddly! Looks nice.

To stay on topic, it's too small for much wind, too small to see well if you do stumble into some decent thermals, scale planes rarely turn into decent thermal hunters, as was mentioned before, park flying and slope soaring will use them at their best, but I'd still leave the motor in for return insurance!
uncookedlentil is offline Find More Posts by uncookedlentil