SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 22, 2012, 08:02 PM
Planes dress doors...
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Mar 2011
667 Posts
Discussion
Yoda - Ultrabatics - perform them, this will...

Alright guys, i've been hinting for ages over on the VTPR Facebook group that i've been working on a lightweight glider that is capable of performing a rudder flip, as well as all the other ultrabatic stuff.

As far as i know the only other glider out there that will do it is the Aero-Glide that Steve and Michael built over in Cali, and I wanted in on the action!!!! What I was looking for, was a smaller sloper that could do all the VTPR and ultrabatics stuff, that looked a little unique. Then someone mentioned that with the tail config the way it was on the Aero-Glide, it could be discus launched. I ran with that idea and have a launching peg installed so I can DL it (in super light conditions) on the slope.

Now it could possible be built lighter with EPP and covering film, as well as some lighter servo's and a swiss cheesed wing... But i wanted to use what I had, and that was blue foam, carbon and fiberglass. Plus 2x HXT500's, 2x HXT900's, a AAA 4cell pack and an orange Futaba reciever.

She came out at 258g ready to fly. That gives me a wing loading of around 6.5oz/sq.ft, or 20g/sw.dm. I'm pretty happy with that, and hope that it holds up to the usual VTPR slope abuse. One thing I added in this which wasn't in my 40" Le Fish, was a 2.5mm carbon rod down the entire LE of the wing to provide impact resistance. The old wind was totally dinged up, where as this can be whacked on anything and the LE remains clean.

Why the name? Well, what's little, extremely agile and pretty weird looking? Yoda of course! I found the tail shape I designed looks very similar Yoda's ear, and it suits the way it flies.

There's a short video below of some test glides in the park. I have full length flapperons mixed in like a DLG so I can really slow it down for landing, i'm using them in the video to hand catch it...

There's plans attached for anyone interested. Feel free to make one, change it, fix it, redistribute it or whatever you want. It's very loosely based on the original Le Fish plans, so credit goes to Steve Lange for the idea - and in particular the work he's done with Michael Richter from Dreamflight on the Aero-Glide.

Yoda - Ultrabatics Glider (0 min 41 sec)
Rhys Porter is offline Find More Posts by Rhys Porter
Last edited by Rhys Porter; May 24, 2012 at 01:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 08:20 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts

Love this.

Subscribed I am.

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
Old May 22, 2012, 08:30 PM
Just Toss It !!!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
6,096 Posts
Pay to George royalties you will.......Hmmmm....
MATIN is online now Find More Posts by MATIN
Old May 22, 2012, 09:09 PM
Planes dress doors...
Joined Mar 2011
667 Posts
Haha if Lucas Film comes after me for royalties i'll be totally stoked that they've taken interest in slope soaring.

Wind's forecast 5-6 knots NE this arvo, should get 15mins of testing in before it gets dark!!!!!!
Old May 22, 2012, 09:48 PM
Wind Powered
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Oct 2004
538 Posts
Right on Rhys!
-George
george@dream-flight is offline Find More Posts by george@dream-flight
Old May 22, 2012, 10:07 PM
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Dec 2011
858 Posts
Nice Stuff there, Rhys. Looking forward to the slope videos.

Ken
Snewk is offline Find More Posts by Snewk
Old May 22, 2012, 10:24 PM
Cliff
Australia, QLD, Pacific Paradise
Joined Oct 2011
372 Posts
Show me more. the buiild,mechanics of tail feathers,layouts of sevos etc
Bugger that show me every thing
Slope video please
16141 is offline Find More Posts by 16141
Old May 22, 2012, 10:42 PM
Planes dress doors...
Joined Mar 2011
667 Posts
Lol - It ain't pretty! Will take some detailed pics once I know it flies as desired... Currently using a normal pull/pull system with lines running inside the tail boom. If they break i'm stuffed, so fingers crossed it doesn't!!!!!
Old May 23, 2012, 12:46 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Awesome stuff Rhys! I've often thought that a lightened DLG of sorts would be a good contender for this type of flying, and, well, you've basically proven the concept! Nice.

I've got a "LapDancer" (interesting name?!) from Denny at Polecat Aeroplane Works which, although it has a spinny thing on the front, slopes extremely well due to its roots in the DLG world. Oh well, all this to say nicely done!

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old May 23, 2012, 02:08 AM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,678 Posts
So innovative...love it.

-P
FSD is offline Find More Posts by FSD
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 07:17 AM
Planes dress doors...
Joined Mar 2011
667 Posts
Well, the wind never came... So the Yoda is still sitting in the back of the golf... Maybe tomorrow.
Old May 23, 2012, 08:02 AM
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Dec 2011
858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Porter View Post
Well, the wind never came... So the Yoda is still sitting in the back of the golf... Maybe tomorrow.
Sloping's version of Field of Dreams:

"If you build it......the Wind won't come!"

Ken
Snewk is offline Find More Posts by Snewk
Old May 23, 2012, 09:37 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Rhys have you tried a true DLG launch yet?

Will be interesting to see what we need to do to get the rudders solid enough on these models to permit that.

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
Old May 23, 2012, 06:03 PM
Planes dress doors...
Joined Mar 2011
667 Posts
I did one at half power and it was ok - it was quite yawy, but I didn't have a rudder pre-set like I usually do on my DLG. There was a whistle as I went around but I think that was either the pull/pull lines or the gaps in the ailerons (remember it's glass).

The Rudder only goes through about 120 degrees ,and the pull pull lines are crazy tight. The servo arms on the HXT900 are actually bending under the load haha. So I think it'll be ok for a full on DLG launch, I just need the balls to do it!!

It could also be my throw, as I haven't put the DLG peg in the wing yet, so I was jut pinching it and throwing Alula style.
Old May 23, 2012, 06:34 PM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,678 Posts
You were speaking of a pull-pull system for the rudder...Here is another option (called direct drive) that I was working on six months ago to achieve extreme rudder in my attempts to perform what I call a vertical flatspin or what you all call a rudder flip. Just sharing ideas...hope you don't mind.

-Paige

Continued Work On Extreme Rudder (1 min 5 sec)
FSD is offline Find More Posts by FSD
RCG Plus Member