FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
It says to contact nihil about starting your own chat room, so I just pm'd him

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomite View Post
There is a chat section on the site. But because its not on the front page a lot of people dont know about it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/chat.php

Im there most of the time and the group of guys that are the *usuals * are extremely helpful, fun to talk to and are electronics geniuses ( well at least compared to me)
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:29 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Hi folks.

RCGroups does indeed have a live chat feature, at least for the moment. The chat has been around for over a decade now, and I've been moderating it for the past 8(?) or so years. The last of RCG's volunteer staff/mods/whatever.

There used to be a box on the main page, but it was removed a few years back, presumably to make room for ads (gotta pay the bills). We still have a core group of 20+ regulars who are happy to answer questions and help out in any way they can. We wont all be talking at once, since we are spread out pretty wide geographically, but generally if you join and say hi, someone will respond no matter what time of day or night.

There is a small text link at the very bottom of the RCG site that leads here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/chat.php

And there is the Chat101 thread with some helpful information about the chat feature:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262002

Everyone is welcome to stop in, whether it be for a quick 5 minute "help I broke something" or getting a dedicated IRC client and idling 24/7 with the rest of the regulars.

There has been mention of the chat feature being discontinued, but no date has been set as far as I'm aware, so we're going strong until then. When that happens, I've setup a backup server on my personal VPS that anyone is welcome to visit. I will update the Chat101 thread with that info as needed.

As for an FPV specific room, if you join the main channel (link above), FPV talk is more than welcome, and many of our regulars have FPV rigs of their own.

Feel free to stop in and say hi.

-------
Join me at RCGroups Chat!
nihil is offline Find More Posts by nihil
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:53 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
thanks nihil

I spend my time in FPV oriented threads for the same reason I spend my money on FPV equipment. because that is my core goal is to learn about subjects geared toward fpv, help when I can, and fly fpv.

I may stop in to the general chat room, but I am not very interested in general chat.

I would monitor a fpv chat room quite regularly however.

Thanks
-Mike
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:15 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
You'd be amazed at how much FPV talk there is in the "general" room, it's quite the hot topic these days.

The problem with just setting up a subject specific channel and calling it done, is that any chat room is only as good as the variety of people in it. If you had 20 people who would instantly populate an FPV specific channel with the bulk of them wanting to leave sessions open 24/7 it would probably work. But history has shown that building up momentum slowly and establishing a solid user base is the way to make it last.

Better to join the general channel and talk to an established group of people, many of which do FPV, than to sit in an FPV specific channel by yourself waiting for someone to come along at the moment you happen to be looking at that window, no?

Stop in, you might be surprised.
nihil is offline Find More Posts by nihil
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread