HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:31 PM
Casselberry, FL
Joined Mar 2007
201 Posts
Some progress...

Thanks for the input. I got one inbd. wing glued up. I think I'll make the other side next. I need to figure out how I'm going to work the ailerons and spoilers. The plans are old school-all mechanical linkage, but I'll be using servos in the wing. I'd like to keep the the linkage hidden-no exposed horns like the original. I have some Harley Michaels rotary drive couplers that I might try-any other suggestions?
Bill
BStaley is online now Find More Posts by BStaley
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:46 PM
Casselberry, FL
Joined Mar 2007
201 Posts
Some progress...

Well I got the rt. inbd. wing panel done and then went back to the fuse. I laid out the center formers to see how wing alignment looked. I had to do some more adjustments on the root rib stand-offs to get the rib to align correctly with the fuse, but after that the formers went on OK. Now hopefully to on with more of the fuse.
Bill
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:32 PM
Casselberry, FL
Joined Mar 2007
201 Posts
Well one side of the fuse is just about ready to skin. I just need to glass around the wing tube boxes. I'll try to get some done after Christmas.
Merry Christmas to all!!!!!!!!!!
Bill
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:32 PM
Yank Pilot
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,694 Posts
Looking good, Bill. That will be one beautiful sailplane. I'm watching with interest.

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:15 AM
Casselberry, FL
Joined Mar 2007
201 Posts
Started sheeting the fuse. I'm using the wood glue/iron technique and it works very well. I've done 2 sections and will post later after some more are done.
Bill
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:17 AM
Australia
Joined May 2009
44 Posts
Am I the only 1 thinking wrong end? thought you would start from the tail myself.
sorry if I missed something.
Pod Jockey is offline Find More Posts by Pod Jockey
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:27 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pod Jockey View Post
Am I the only 1 thinking wrong end? thought you would start from the tail myself.
sorry if I missed something.
I'm not being snarkey or anything ('cos I don't know what the right method is): what would be the reason for starting at any end?

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:18 AM
Australia
Joined May 2009
44 Posts
No not being snarky. I just thought plywood panneling started from the tail to the nose thats all.
for example if it's a clear coat finish.
If it is to be painted or covered i would have thought balsa would have been another option.
Keep up the good work Bill
Pod Jockey is offline Find More Posts by Pod Jockey
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:30 AM
Casselberry, FL
Joined Mar 2007
201 Posts
No particular reason for starting at the front-I don't think it would matter in the grand scheme of things. The building tips on Scale Soaring UK have you start at the front so I was just following the tips.
Bill
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:20 PM
Casselberry, FL
Joined Mar 2007
201 Posts
All done with one side. I was able to span several formers at a time do to the gentle curve in the fuse. This glue method is really slick. I needed to pull one piece off to smooth out a bump in a former-I thought I would be able to get it off and reuse it but there was no getting it off without tearing. All doubts about the glue strength are now gone! Now on to the other side. I need to get it done to finish the tail structure.
Bill
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:44 PM
Utah, USA
Joined Jun 2007
615 Posts
What glue did you use?
What setting on the iron?

Scott
shinck is offline Find More Posts by shinck
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:01 AM
Casselberry, FL
Joined Mar 2007
201 Posts
I'm using Titebond 2 and the iron on a medium setting.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 05:52 PM
Casselberry, FL
Joined Mar 2007
201 Posts
Some progress...

Well I've had a oddball year so far-was working a lot but now I'm laid off. So now it's back to some modeling while I can...
I finally got the rt. side covered then spent a lot of time on the tail. The plans are quite vague about how it's all supposed to go together and I wanted to make some changes(no removable fin) anyway so it took awhile. I decided to go with a tail servo for the elevator instead of some complicated mechanical linkage since the stab is removable. But once I got all that worked out I closed up the tail, covered the stab, got the stab leading edge on so now all I have left at the back is the filler block at the stab/fin joint. Next will be the fuselage wing mount close-up and the nose. I'm gonna wait on the canopy frame 'till after I get the wings done.
Bill
Old Oct 10, 2013, 06:10 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,626 Posts
This will be one gorgeous sailplane when done!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Oct 19, 2013, 07:54 PM
Casselberry, FL
Joined Mar 2007
201 Posts
Change of plans-I needed to get the canopy frame done so I could get the nose block shaped. I made the frame from strips of 1/32 ply laminated together and used the laser cut bows. I doubled them up with some balsa-they will be covered by the external frame.
I also got the tail fairing plug made and shaped.
Now on to the wing root fairings and the bottom skid and the major build work on the fuse will be done.
Bill