HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:53 PM
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2011
591 Posts
Discussion
Engine Care After Flight?

Hello all,
I know I have been asking quite a few questions in the fuel section on here, but since I am brand new to the nitro side of the hobby I guess I'll continue asking

Anyway. . . . . So I have a .15 size engine that I've ran a few tanks worth of fuel through and my question is after I get done flying is there anything I should do to the engine to take care of it? I don't always know when the next time I will be able to fly, it could be two days or it could be two weeks. Should I clean the fuel out of the inside of the engine or anything like that? Like I said, I know pretty much nothing about glow engines and I would like to take care of the engine I have.

Also, when I know that I won't be flying for a long duration of time (a month or so), is there anything I should do at that time to keep the engine in good condition?

Thanks,
Nicholas
PyroMan is offline Find More Posts by PyroMan
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:00 PM
OEF 10-11
United States, NC, Taylorsville
Joined Oct 2012
229 Posts
I never worried about it when I was running nitro surface stuff. Every now and then I put after run oil in it and always cleared the fuels lines of fuel(always did that even if I didn't use after run oil)
new user is offline Find More Posts by new user
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:07 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,068 Posts
Well there are some guys that will put marvel mystery oil in their engines through the glow plug hole after every flying day. I don't do anything like that, just because I have never had a problem with an engine and I don't forsee there ever being one. I don't have very high dollar engines and this is exactaly the reason I don't, I don't trust myself to take care of an expensive engine like I should. I might put some oil in the engine if I know I won't run it for a few months or more, but the most I do to maintain them after every flight is start it and unplug the carb line just to get all the fuel out, so they don't gum up. Just the kind of person I am and I have never had engine problems.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:08 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,082 Posts
The most important thing is running the engine completely dry of all fuel at the end of the last flight for the day. This is best done at full throttle by pulling the fuel line off the carb or you can pinch the fuel line to starve the engine of fuel but wait a few seconds after it stops to let muffler pressure bleed off or it'll just shove some more fuel through the carb. Then remove the fuel line and drain the tank dry. The reason for doing this is to get rid of any trace of fuel, especially methanol which sucks water out of the air and it's the water that causes rusting.

The second most important thing is to use a fuel with some castor in it because castor is an extremely good rust preventative.

Those two things will keep an engine fine for a couple of months but much longer than that and the castor will start to go a bit (or a lot ) gummy although it's still doing its job of protection. For longer term storage, pour some ATF into the engine and flick the prop over for a bit to get it spread all over the internals.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:53 AM
United States, NY, Eldred
Joined Jun 2012
656 Posts
As stated above I use ATF(automatic transmission fluid). Doesn't matter what brand or kind as there are many. I just get mine from Auto Zone or similar type place. $5 for a quart will last a long long time. This is opposed to $ 4 or $5 for a tiny bottle of after run oil, which is probably very similar to ATF. Same smell, same viscosity etc. I personally use after run oil at the end of each flying session unless I know I'll be flying in the next couple days. To me it's cheap insurance and take an extra 45 seconds per plane.
kimchiyuk is offline Find More Posts by kimchiyuk
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:40 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,417 Posts
alot of good advice already!

but I will add a couple of my practices! first of all make shure your running name brand fuel! even cool power is good, as most modern fuels have decent oil already in them! so I never use after run oil! and can usualy start my engines even after not being ran for a coupla yrs!

the next thing is, if you don't know when your gonna fly again!"which for me is everytime, unless I am test flying an airplane I know for shure I am going too fly the next day" I drain my fuel tank dry, then restart the engine, and let it run dry! for me I never store my planes with fuel in them, be it nitro and especialy gas!

some of the old timers I know, will give a squirt 3in1, atf or even air tool oil! in the carb,then flip it over a coupla times! I allways fig'd that if theres that much oil down the side of my plane, well there must be oil in the engine, so that I think is more of a personal thing, iif it makes you feel better then do it! lol
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:41 AM
Joined Jun 2012
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid View Post
alot of good advice already!

if it makes you feel better then do it! lol
Absolutely the best way to say it! it's your hobby, do whatever makes YOU happy!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:45 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,453 Posts
I pull my fuel line to the carb... apply the glow starter and hit it with the starter... you'll get a good few seconds of run time as it burns the fuel off left inside the motor. I drain the tank and when I get home remove the plug and add a few drops of oil there and to the carb opening and flip the prop several times to work the oil all around, re-intsall plug and thats it.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:03 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Seeing that my glow motors never spend more than 4 weeks without being used
(often used every weekend) all I do is drain the tanks before leaving the field.
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:09 PM
Joined Mar 2011
591 Posts
Thanks everyone for the advice.
I ran my (very first) glow engine the other day, and when I was done I emptied the fuel tank and ran the engine out of fuel like ya'll suggested. I did not put any oil in the engine though. I may do that when I know it's going to be put up for a long time.

Thanks,
Nicholas
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:18 AM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylerdinger View Post
Well there are some guys that will put marvel mystery oil in their engines through the glow plug hole after every flying day. I don't do anything like that, just because I have never had a problem with an engine and I don't forsee there ever being one. I don't have very high dollar engines and this is exactaly the reason I don't, I don't trust myself to take care of an expensive engine like I should. I might put some oil in the engine if I know I won't run it for a few months or more, but the most I do to maintain them after every flight is start it and unplug the carb line just to get all the fuel out, so they don't gum up. Just the kind of person I am and I have never had engine problems.
You are the most fortunate of men! And if you lived in the climate I do, you wouldn't have a useable engine very long doing that either.
Use the Marvel Air Tool oil, as it won't hurt the glow plug(s) and oil well and wipe off any excess- check at least every two weeks to be sure all is well.
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:25 AM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroMan View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice.
I ran my (very first) glow engine the other day, and when I was done I emptied the fuel tank and ran the engine out of fuel like ya'll suggested. I did not put any oil in the engine though. I may do that when I know it's going to be put up for a long time.

Thanks,
Nicholas
WRONG!
ALWAYS oil it afterwards if you want to keep it.
The alcohol in the fuel is hygoscopic; it attracts moisture and that coupled with the nitrate residue from the nitromethane in the fuel, forms what? Nitric acid.
That will eventually eat the crud out of everything unless you have run castor only fuel- then you only get a gummed-up mess after a long hiatus.
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:12 AM
Joined Mar 2011
591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKinTX View Post
WRONG!
ALWAYS oil it afterwards if you want to keep it.
The alcohol in the fuel is hygoscopic; it attracts moisture and that coupled with the nitrate residue from the nitromethane in the fuel, forms what? Nitric acid.
That will eventually eat the crud out of everything unless you have run castor only fuel- then you only get a gummed-up mess after a long hiatus.
Well instead or buying special oil and whatnot, can I just use the 3-in-1 oil that I always have on hand?
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:53 PM
Joined Jun 2012
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroMan View Post
Well instead or buying special oil and whatnot, can I just use the 3-in-1 oil that I always have on hand?
It's better than nothing. I've seen many people on here say not to, but I used it for 15 years while running glow cars and trucks and always had corrosion free engines. I now use automatic transmission fluid just because it's thinker and coats better. You're going to find this is one of those topics where everyone has their own opinion and preference. For over a year I was buying the hobbico after run oil for $4 for a tiny bottle. A quart of ATF is also $4!!! You do the math.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:28 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,139 Posts
Yes, ATF is just as good as any after run oil and much more economical.
Also, any air tool oil will do fine. Marvel Mystery Oil is not the best nor is 3in1 oil as they are to thin to do the job well but are better than nothing. If you use oil, use enough; just a few drops will not do the job, especially on 4 strokes. You need about a teaspoon full or more and be sure to put it into the crankcase on 4-strokes, not the exhaust or glow plug or carb as it will not get to where it is needed most on the 4 strokes. Do NOT use WD-40 as it will do more harm than good.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney