Closed Thread
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:04 PM
It's a heli valotta fun!
Joined Apr 2007
1,413 Posts
Rant
Ode To Horizon Hobby

Dear Horizon Hobby,

Thanks for fooling me into purchasing your over-priced products because I trust your claim of high quality.
Thanks for fooling me into thinking that I would receive actual customer service when I call to discuss a problem with you.
Thanks for immediately disowning your products as soon as ownership passes from one person to another.
Thanks for being so blinded by the fact that I am not the original purchaser of a product that you fail to recognize the product defect and the damage your lack of concern is causing to your customer base.
Thanks for instantly instilling doubt in the quality of the rest of your products I currently own.
Thanks for helping me realize the irony in your automated phone phrase "where we help people have fun with hobbies".

Sincerely,
Warranty Schmarranty
kt74 is offline Find More Posts by kt74
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:45 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
What product did you have an issue with? What was the issue with it?
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:41 PM
It's a heli valotta fun!
Joined Apr 2007
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
What product did you have an issue with? What was the issue with it?
Micro rock crawler. Basically NIB purchased from FS/W. Just short of 2 months regular use, suddenly the servo stops responding. Troubleshot and found the esc had gone bad and had taken the servo with it. Called hh to explain the issue and all was well until I mentioned that I had acquired it from a previous owner. Then suddenly they couldn't care less about me if they tried!
I guess it took me by surprise because I had read so many happy stories about how helpful their customer service is. Never once did I imagine that they would say "too bad you didn't buy it from us... Take a hike!" I know I wouldn't want a 3-month old piece of garbage out there with MY name on it...
For a customer that has never called their customer service and owns many of their products (purchased first-hand) it was quite a kick in the teeth.
Its all about the Almighty Dollar anymore isn't it...
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:30 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
I would try calling again, I've never had any issues with dealing with them, even when I was calling for a friend.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:27 AM
It's a heli valotta fun!
Joined Apr 2007
1,413 Posts
Quote:
I would try calling again, I've never had any issues with dealing with them, even when I was calling for a friend.
Well that's just great...!! I called 3 times yesterday and was told to get lost by all three people! One of the times I even asked them about repairing the esc and they told me the part doesn't cost enough to consider repairing...

I searched online and found many instances where hh replaced items for customers that were not the original buyers, in the spirit of good customer service.

This is becoming more and more disturbing to me. People everywhere singing hh's praises and in my time of need they treat me like this...
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:26 AM
It's a heli valotta fun!
Joined Apr 2007
1,413 Posts
The joy continues... Apparently I was stupid enough to call them from the same phone I used yesterday because those people track your number too!! The guy this morning simply had to tell me to off since his buddies yesterday did the same thing... And he simply had to back them up . No amount of courtesy and niceness can sway these guys in their resolve to me over. Although this guy today did suggest I send it in and they'd look at it. So I'm going to try that. Of course I'm probably setting myself up for more frustration...
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:23 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
Not trying to pick a fight, but this doesn't sound like any experience I've had with them at all. When I bought my ultra micro mustang I was getting VERY little range (like 50-75 feet), and they went through all kinds of troubleshooting, and offered to replace the whole thing even though it had multiple flights on it, including some crashes when it went out of range.

It turned out the transmitter antenna wire wasn't connected internally and it was an easy fix for me, and horizon followed up with me after I hadn't called back to get return shipping info.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:41 PM
It's a heli valotta fun!
Joined Apr 2007
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Not trying to pick a fight, but this doesn't sound like any experience I've had with them at all. When I bought my ultra micro mustang I was getting VERY little range (like 50-75 feet), and they went through all kinds of troubleshooting, and offered to replace the whole thing even though it had multiple flights on it, including some crashes when it went out of range.

It turned out the transmitter antenna wire wasn't connected internally and it was an easy fix for me, and horizon followed up with me after I hadn't called back to get return shipping info.
On no problem. I'm just surprised with ALL the wondrous stories out there of people getting issues resolved on both new and second-hand products that of course I would be the unlucky one. It figures. I just thought that I'd let you all know how "wondrous" my experience with them is going. Maybe it will help prepare one of you to deal with these jokers in the future.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:49 PM
Burlington, NJ USA
Joined Apr 2001
426 Posts
I'm really interested to know what their side of the story would be on this one....
bfaulguy is offline Find More Posts by bfaulguy
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:39 PM
Agressive driver
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
I have bought cars/planes from Horizon. I try to buy aftermarket parts for them, so to not support Horizon Hobby. They try to take buisness away from local hobby stores so they can make more money. If you order direct from them it ships quickly and the right things. If a hobby store orders bulk they just push back the order untill they have some free time, sometimes up to 3 WEEKS!
zanek is offline Find More Posts by zanek
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:34 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
sorry to hear of your dissapointment but ... you bought it second hand and unfortunatly most if any retailers no matter who it is will warrenty an item bought second hand . and yes why you say well fact is whos to say its only a ( 2 ) monthes old ?? did you provide an original sales recipt stating this ???
did you ask the owner for a recipt ??

moral of the story is this they would be more than happy to help you if you could prove date of purchase ( a recipt weather you bought it or not ) but with all of the scammers going around stealing and basicly abusing stuff and trying to get new stuff for junk they realy have no choice but to be hard asses on this matter or they would be giving new stuff away on a daily basis to people who did not even buy it at all . its like i hear people buying things from a walmart or what ever putting the broken one back into the box and returning it and reciving the money back its not right but we as the consumer PAY for this in the exact way that you are being treated and also higher prices .
best advice is this contact the person you bought it from and request the recipt and im willing to bet horizon will at that point be willing to bend over backwards to help .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:54 AM
United States, AL, Phenix City
Joined Apr 2012
1 Posts
I as well have never had an issue with HH. They have always worked as hard as they can to help with a product. And saying that HH takes away from local hobby shops is complete hooey. being that I am an employee at my local hobby shop, one of our main suppliers is HH. It also doesn't take the so called three weeks to get everything like you are suggesting, rather, we get shipments in every three days. I have also found that attitude is everything. If you call HH in an angry/frustrated manner and are being belligerent, you don't get service. I've seen it too many a time. It's the quickest way to the HH black ball.

...Roll Tide
KrashKid is offline Find More Posts by KrashKid
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
I doubt anyone from HH would tell you to f*** off. Did you call ranting and raving like a lunatic from word one when you called and set the tone with them.
bobbyb323 is offline Find More Posts by bobbyb323
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:10 PM
It's a heli valotta fun!
Joined Apr 2007
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyb323 View Post
I doubt anyone from HH would tell you to f*** off. Did you call ranting and raving like a lunatic from word one when you called and set the tone with them.
For the record... no I did not. I called and politely explained the situation. Even when they told me I was outta luck I calmly asked if there was anything they could do to help. But alas... they hung me out to dry leaving me to resolve this all myself.
Closed Thread