Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:09 AM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen09 View Post
I like that everybody finds a different way of hacking

Are your 220 ohm resistors there because I can't see them
@Zen09, they are Tombstoned (standing up, they were to ones on the circuit board) and the blue 30 awg wires soldered to the top pf them, bottom of picture. (sorry blurry picture, was using a friends crappy Sony camera and was in a hurry to finish in my 30 minute lunch hour.

Next I plan on making some low cost DIY sensors (voltage, current, tach), some info here.

https://sites.google.com/site/remzib...ternal-sensors

And I read about a a low cost GPS (I have several $6 units that I converted to use on my telescopes)

Anyone have info on DIY sensors or low cost alternative sensors?
--Oz-- is offline Find More Posts by --Oz--
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:36 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,954 Posts
I guess you mean sensors for Frsky system, when you ask low cost.
For now Frsky is the bottom as cheap telemetry, only GPS can be replaced cheaper.
Beware that not the sensors themselves will cost you to build, but also you must interface them to the receiver, what does the hub now, so a MCU is required.
If you want to DIY them just for hobby, and time has no much value for you, will be fun. Else, I doubt you will save something significant.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:04 AM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
I guess you mean sensors for Frsky system, when you ask low cost.
For now Frsky is the bottom as cheap telemetry, only GPS can be replaced cheaper.
Beware that not the sensors themselves will cost you to build, but also you must interface them to the receiver, what does the hub now, so a MCU is required.
If you want to DIY them just for hobby, and time has no much value for you, will be fun. Else, I doubt you will save something significant.
Good point about the micro. Voltage, current, temp and tach and most other sensors can be feed into the analog ports and cost less than $2. The gps you have a good point about needing the micro interface. Also if you want or need more than 2 sensors, you need the hub interface and micro, thanks for your feedback!

Still looking for low cost diy sensors, any links?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:16 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,954 Posts
Check the Hitec telemetry system hacking thread, there are some alternatives there.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:34 AM
Germany, HB, Bremen
Joined Jun 2010
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz-- View Post
Voltage, current, temp and tach and most other sensors can be feed into the analog ports and cost less than $2.
How can you input the discrete tach signal directly into the analog port?

BTW, here is a low cost hub for GPS http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1661874
Zen09 is offline Find More Posts by Zen09
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:04 PM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen09 View Post
How can you input the discrete tach signal directly into the analog port?

BTW, here is a low cost hub for GPS http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1661874
There are many low cost IC's that are called "frequency to voltage converter"

It would not give a direct rpm number, but a voltage, this could be calibrated with a simple 10 turn trimmer pot to something like 100mV per 1,000 rpm. This would be easy to read the rpm straight from the voltage number. Using this example, 3.3 volts (maximum input for A1 and A2) would be 33,000 rpm, with a resolution of ~130 rpm.

Thanks for the link to the low cost gps hub!

@renatoa, thanks for the search direction!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:02 AM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,110 Posts
Low cost Current Sensor

Come to think of it, you could use a low cost hall sensor to measure current, like the low cost Allegro A1302 (~$1) to make a "current" (ammeter) sensor.

I use these in my home brew online racing wheel/pedals in iRacing, never worry about stupid (intermittent) pot failure as there is not pots to wear out or freeking glitch, see pictures).

Basically heat shrink a A1302 to the high current battery lead, maybe un-insulate the power wire where the hall sensor would touch (testing needed), then using a 10 turn trimmer pot to calibrate the output to something easy to convert, like 100mV per Amp. I have not tried this theory yet, maybe its not sensitive enough.

Can someone give me the link to the DIY low cost current sensor I read it a few days ago but I can't find it now, maybe a better solution than my , thanks!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:52 PM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
I'm installing a smartieboard too, would this stop me from just temporarily removing that board, doing this mod and then re-installing it or do I have to modify the smartieboard itself? I'm not even sure I need telemetry but if I do get it it would be nice to have it on the screen and not on some secondary display.
scottydsntknow is offline Find More Posts by scottydsntknow
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:57 AM
flying is not a dream
Spain, CT, Cardedeu
Joined Jan 2008
990 Posts
hello,

i will receive a DJT module soon and want to use it in my 9X (already prepared and flashed with open9X).

i want the possibilitie to manage the DJT's Alarms with the transmitter.

wich resistors do i need to make the mod?
in thos thread, and other places, i see differents value and where to put them!!

i need 2- 220 ohm on the main board of the 9x, but what else exactly?

regards
lebenj is offline Find More Posts by lebenj
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:13 PM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
I saved myself the trouble and bought the telemetrez board from smartieparts. $30 shipped to my door, full functionality and 5 minutes with a drill and soldering iron (easy soldering nothing small) to avoid having to run any external wires with the DJT.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:47 PM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I saved myself the trouble and bought the telemetrez board from smartieparts. $30 shipped to my door, full functionality and 5 minutes with a drill and soldering iron (easy soldering nothing small) to avoid having to run any external wires with the DJT.
Do you have the Telemetry display on the 9x LCD?

Where did you drill the hole(s)? (have a picture)
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:58 PM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Yep full telemetry display. I can try to get pics later on, I opened up the DJT itself and drilled a hole in the side of it right above the circuit board. Cut the big black plug off the connector that comes in the TelemetrEZ board, stripped and soldered the wires to where they would go when plugged in as close to the base of the pins as possible. Then opened up one of the vents in the DJT bay on the radio big enough for the other end of the plug to go through and ran it through there.

I dunno I just was not about to pay for a "plug and play" easy board and have a hole in my radio with wires coming out. With that said, its still a better option, at least to me, than trying to solder onto small ass solder points.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:31 AM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yep full telemetry display. I can try to get pics later on, I opened up the DJT itself and drilled a hole in the side of it right above the circuit board. Cut the big black plug off the connector that comes in the TelemetrEZ board, stripped and soldered the wires to where they would go when plugged in as close to the base of the pins as possible. Then opened up one of the vents in the DJT bay on the radio big enough for the other end of the plug to go through and ran it through there.

I dunno I just was not about to pay for a "plug and play" easy board and have a hole in my radio with wires coming out. With that said, its still a better option, at least to me, than trying to solder onto small ass solder points.
Nice, so what happens to this plug when you remove the DJT module and use another module (like SkyFly)? Where does this wires/connector go, can it fall back into the 9x or is it not removable or?

Thanks
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:16 PM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Mine is no longer removable unless I open the case. This is easily fixable by adding another plug inline which I might do but don't see the need in my case. Sticking with Frsky for the foreseeable future at least with this transmitter.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 08:06 AM
Jeddah
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Diod on ppm question

Oz, could you kindly upload a close-up picture of the diode you have added to the ppm? Though I can solder, am not a an expert at electronics. Don't want to commit a mistake while trying to use both modules. Thanks in advance. And thanks to renatoa for directing me to this thread
samlikespad is offline Find More Posts by samlikespad