Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:14 AM
Shut up and Fly!!!
United States, VA, Hartfield
Joined Aug 2011
1,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Watkins View Post
Good luck.
After an embarrasing showing at a contest, I really worked on KE spins on all my planes this summer and hit them about 90% of the time now
I've found that most of my planes will go in at considerably less than full throttle, and that they wind up faster if I relax the rudder once they lock in.
Yeah, I had my son for the holidays and decided to show off for him with the MXS. Regardless of the failed attempt he was still impressed with rolling circles, harriers etc.
jw357_23043 is offline Find More Posts by jw357_23043
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:12 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw357_23043 View Post
Yesterday I took my MXS out and tried to do a knife edge spin and it wanted to flatten out. My entry works with other planes but not this bird. I stall and drop either to the left or right with full down elevator along with rudder input. Any suggestions??
Do you have the racing wing tips on? Try taking them off, but keeping the SFGs on. I get KE spins pretty easy this way.

Also, somebody else taught me a way to get into KE spins...at apex, wing over with full rudder, keep going, and as you pass nose down, add your elevator. I don't do it this way, but it was a good way to learn for me.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:27 PM
Shut up and Fly!!!
United States, VA, Hartfield
Joined Aug 2011
1,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Do you have the racing wing tips on? Try taking them off, but keeping the SFGs on. I get KE spins pretty easy this way.

Also, somebody else taught me a way to get into KE spins...at apex, wing over with full rudder, keep going, and as you pass nose down, add your elevator. I don't do it this way, but it was a good way to learn for me.
I took the tips off as I wanted a faster roll rate so yes the tips are off for now. I will try that next time I'm out. Thanks.
jw357_23043 is offline Find More Posts by jw357_23043
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:26 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
I have found that the entry into the ke spin with the MXS is the key. Once you get past the entry it generally locks in pretty good. For me it seems like a little less rudder and rolling on the throttle up to a little over half throttle gets it most of the time. WOT doesn't work well for me and half or even less once it's locked in makes it spin like crazy. Since switching over to a 14x7 prop the ke spins are much easier for me as well.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:41 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
entries are easiest for me this way

upline, stall upline and full down elevator+some left aileron, as it starts to spin down add full right rudder.

If you run full speed brake elevator with an 85mg you will be blown away and the rate of of rotation.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:10 PM
GPT
Sydney,Australia
Joined Dec 2004
1,596 Posts
After a few Edges I finally decided to try one of these. Another winner from EF again
GPT is online now Find More Posts by GPT
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:29 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
entries are easiest for me this way

upline, stall upline and full down elevator+some left aileron, as it starts to spin down add full right rudder.

If you run full speed brake elevator with an 85mg you will be blown away and the rate of of rotation.
right rudder?
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:46 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
right rudder?
The brain doesnt know the inputs. My fingers sure do though though and yeah manta im wrong there.

Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:52 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Quote:
The brain doesnt know the inputs. My fingers sure do though though and yeah manta im wrong there.

I was thinking next time I was out flying id try right and see what happened! im all for correction as I think Ive gotten as good as I can get as a pilot. Seem to have plateu'd. May be age/time to fly/ who knows but im ok with it.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:48 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Try doing 3/4 to full speed horizontal line into ke spin. I'm really close to getting it but you have to roll into it and the apply keep inputs.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:54 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Quote:
Try doing 3/4 to full speed horizontal line into ke spin. I'm really close to getting it but you have to roll into it and the apply keep inputs.
ya thats a violent,frame stressing,crowd wowing move right there for sure
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:05 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
I half expect the airframe to explode in the air someday

not yet though
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:34 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,453 Posts
That's something I'm wondering about...imagine a 78" or 91" MXS. I know there is video somewhere of a 78" MXS, but still, hard to imagine the g-forces this plane can pull being scaled to a 78 or 91.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:19 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
I trust in chris.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:52 PM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
660 Posts
Quote:
I've been doing this a lot lately with my Edge. At full throttle I get 3 solid end-over-end rotations before running out of momentum and exiting in a rolling harrier. So much fun!
Motojunk is offline Find More Posts by Motojunk