New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2015, 02:22 PM
Find More Posts by jayxer
Joined Oct 2007
438 Posts
Discussion
scratch build newbie looking for help

I've been longing for a good scale F-5E for a long time. The Freewing hits the scale marks much better than previous offerings. But reports have it being tricky to fly, and needing to be flown FAST. I don't have a lot of options to fly bigger/faster models, so I am looking for something to be built light, but still scale.

I'm wondering how plausible it might be to take the eflite 28mm, and build myself a depron twin F-5. Thoughts from some of you accomplished modeler's? I read through Corsair Nuts larger T-38 and F-5N build threads, but I'm looking for something without all the bells and whistles, hand launched and belly landed on grass, in a park sized model. I assume there aren't any plans for something like this already. I'm not against creating them, I have access to 3D CAD software, I've just not done anything like this with it before.
jayxer is online now Find More Posts by jayxer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2015, 02:47 PM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
7,129 Posts
Considering the (F-5E Tiger II)
Length: 47 ft 4 in (14.45 m)
Wingspan: 26 ft 8 in (8.13 m)
Height: 13 ft 4 in (4.08 m)
Wing area: 186 ft (17.28 m)

and the (F-20) are almost the same

Length: 47 ft 4 in (14.4 m)
Wingspan: 27 ft 11.9 in / 8.53 m; with wingtip missiles (26 ft 8 in/ 8.13 m; without wingtip missiles)
Height: 13 ft 10 in (4.20 m)
Wing area: 200 ft (18.6 m)

You can get the F-20 plans here: http://www.parkjets.com/f-20-tim-h/
and a build thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412333

Keep in mind these are designed as "pushers" so you will need lots of mods ..enlarge the plans to suit your scale
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:49 PM
Find More Posts by St. Martin
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,991 Posts
Seeing as you are making this from depron, all you need is the formers, etc. I enlarged portions of these plans, and traced the parts, for a 30"WS version. About 40+" long. There are no parts on the plans. So tracing the parts is necc. Section of plans showing side keels, wing, and tail surfaces, need enlarging to desired size. CG is noted on plans and there is an actual airfoil used. It was intended to fly catapult launch.

I flew the original kit, and it is a great flyer/glider, verifying the CG.

If I ever remember having these plans and build it, I'll use it with a single oval exhaust. Could even go larger for one of the CS fans(about 5%) And this F-5E is quite scale in outline.

http://www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com...odf5etiger.htm

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:48 PM
Find More Posts by jayxer
Joined Oct 2007
438 Posts
thank you both for the input!
jayxer is online now Find More Posts by jayxer