SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2015, 06:38 PM
mahoganyfan
United States, NJ, Atlantic City
Joined Nov 2010
745 Posts
Build Log
1/10 Scratch Built Crackerbox

Well I am just now starting what will be my first scratch build. The crackerbox boat will have a length of 21" and a beam of 7 1/4". This boat I will probably not finish totally, I am just using this boat to cut my teeth on it. I have a bigger boat in mind that will be my first real scratch build after this. The plans for the crackerbox I landed from KEN N.J. here on the groups and of my model boat club. This is a fairly easy build for the first time scratch builder. I got the wood from A.C. MOORE, a craft store in the area. Midwest has an impressive wood display there. I found all the wood(balsa and aircraft plywood) there. It would have cost less but dummy me forgot to take a 40% off coupon with me. Materials have come to around $55.00 so far and it doesn't look like this build will cost much more, other than motor and all the electronics which I probably won't need anyway. Look out GPR, FrankG, Sydbalsbaugh, Ed Crowell and all the other masters, here I come, no just kidding.
californiakid is offline Find More Posts by californiakid
Last edited by californiakid; Feb 16, 2015 at 07:18 PM. Reason: info
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2015, 08:01 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,918 Posts
LARRY- Good choice for a fun first build. The club, GARDEN STATE MODELERS, back in the day when we were strong in membership and still had a good number of builders in the club, tried to encourage more of the members as well as outsiders to join us in a club build.

Three types of models were voted on and the cracker box won, hands down, as the club project. At that time we had more club members than ever build the models from the same set of plans, supplied by the club, and every one entering the model in running competition had to use the same motor and a 7.2 volt NI-CAD pack of batteries.

This is build took place before the club decided to stop voting on winners for the best built models and every modeler did their own thing as far as how to finish their entry in the static judging for looks.

The plans were the original plans that Jerry Dunlap had published in one of his articles, free of charge. The plans went on to be one of the most built models both by scratch builders and model manufacturers produced in various scales.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Feb 17, 2015, 09:28 PM
United States, TX, The Woodlands
Joined May 2014
129 Posts
Yes Sir!

Love the Crackerbox Design.

I'll be watching...

-gus
augustus is online now Find More Posts by augustus
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:31 PM
Joined Aug 2006
402 Posts
Can one acquire a copy of this article? Is it similar to the Legend California Crackerbox by frankg? Lotsa build pictures please….
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
Old Feb 19, 2015, 01:54 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,918 Posts
BENETEAU3- The hull of the one Larry is building comes out to be just less than 20” making it a 10th scale boat. The legend Model Boat Kit is a 1/6th scale model and measures in at 30 ¼” length.

The hull design is the same dimensions as the full scale boat in length and beam as well as having the same bottom design. The main difference between the two boats is that the Jerry Dunlap boat is slab side at the transom while the Legend model is tumble home style.
Last edited by frankg; Feb 19, 2015 at 10:52 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 01:58 PM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,872 Posts
Try here for plans... http://crackerbox.free.fr/plans.htm

Or do a little looking here, Google search... https://www.google.com/search?q=jerr...ackerbox+plans

OSE thread: http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...kerbox-Ruleset
ken_nj is offline Find More Posts by ken_nj
Old Feb 19, 2015, 09:16 PM
GPR
Rochester, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
609 Posts
I'll be watching. Have fun!!
Greg
GPR is offline Find More Posts by GPR
Old Feb 19, 2015, 09:53 PM
mahoganyfan
Joined Nov 2010
745 Posts
Starting Over

Hey GPR and other members, the build so far has come out subpar. Half of it had to do with me cutting and gluing the paper sheet improperly to the wood resulting in very bad cut lines .The second reason is I am using a scroll saw instead of a band saw to make cuts where a band saw should be used. Add in a little sloppiness on my part and what I have to show for it is a hull that looks and fits together badly(crocked and out of alignment with the keel protruding 1/4" above the frames with it glued down to the building board.) I brought it to the club meeting the other night and was jokingly told I should lose it on the Garden State Parkway going back home. I guess to put it out of its misery. Anyway I knew it was bad but like they say practice makes perfect. I will be starting over on the build after I retool and resupply for the build.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 02:42 AM
United Kingdom, Hampshire
Joined Jan 2013
132 Posts
Good call CK. There's no point pressing on when you know it's wrong from the start. Look on this as a practice run. The real thing will be a much better job and you will feel so much better knowing everything is square, symmetrical and fitting well.

I'm looking forward to this build!

Greg
SailorGreg is offline Find More Posts by SailorGreg
Old Feb 20, 2015, 01:20 PM
Joined Aug 2006
402 Posts
frankg: I was just curious about the article. I like perusing any written information about boats I like. I am currently (slowly) building your Legend crackerbox, so I have plenty to do….
Old Feb 20, 2015, 01:27 PM
mahoganyfan
Joined Nov 2010
745 Posts
Legend Crackerbox

Looking great Beneteau3, I have built two Legend kits and they are fantastic kits, the crackerbox kit by Legend was my first kit build. Please keep posting pictures of your build. You are doing nice clean work.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 06:50 PM
Joined Aug 2006
402 Posts
Well, I finished planking the bottom, and tried to fit the first side planks per instructions, but was totally unsuccessful. Turned into a terrible mess. I think this boat is going into the trash. I don't think I will try another planked model - They are just too expensive to keep ending up with models that look like crap. Now I fully understand why the local hobby store has a whole shelf of these planked models that are collecting dust.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 07:02 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,918 Posts
BENETEAU3- Please post some pictures of the problems you think you are having with the planking o the model. This is one of the simplest of all the mahogany planked models on the market for you to be having so much trouble.

I see by your blog that you have been building models for quite some time, so for you to be having so much trouble with this kit is puzzling.

Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:42 AM
Joined Aug 2006
402 Posts
Too ashamed and disappointed with my mess to post any pictures, Rich. No fault of your kit, just my lack of talent. Depressing to hear that this is "one of the simplest kits --on the market." Now I know I won't try another.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:55 AM
mahoganyfan
Joined Nov 2010
745 Posts
Side Planking

Beneteau3, don't give up just yet, I am sure it can be fixed. The planks can be ripped off even if you used C.A. glue. The planks (when ripped off) will take some balsa underlayment with it but you use Evercoat Euro Soft filler to fix that problem. Then you get some fresh wood from the kit, FrankG provides ample wood, and start going again. I looked at the pictures you posted of your bottom planking progress and I have to say you did an excellent job, even on the topside balsa sheet layout. I did a goof up on my Thunderbolt build, which i posted pictures of (page 6 post 88) regarding the placement of the mahogany sheers. I know how it feels to smudge something up you worked so hard at, but rip it up and start fresh. The crackerbox is too beautiful a boat to kick it to the way side. We will help you, just food for thought. Californiakid
Last edited by californiakid; Feb 23, 2015 at 12:09 PM.