HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2015, 02:47 PM
mallorca
Joined May 2007
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjets View Post
Anyone have any source for the 3 bladed fans??? Or a good substitute for one (running 3S).
hobbyking sell them under spares.
madingle is offline Find More Posts by madingle
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:21 AM
What Goes Up...Must Come Down
United States, NC, Oak Island
Joined Jan 2013
1,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madingle View Post
I tested the f18 today with 7 mm extensions on the elevators ( i have fixed the ailerons). What a difference, flew beautifully with very smooth control right down to a walking pace. Happy nerd
Very nice!
abjets is offline Find More Posts by abjets
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:21 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,359 Posts
Quote:
hobbyking sell them under spares.
Thanks! I will have to search them again...
Old Mar 26, 2015, 04:21 AM
mallorca
Joined May 2007
100 Posts
35mm fan

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...d_Fan_Set.html
madingle is offline Find More Posts by madingle
Old Mar 26, 2015, 09:44 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,359 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Madingle... They are still backordered...been that way for a while.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 02:05 PM
Joined Sep 2004
133 Posts
Hawk - first impressions

The weather is finally getting better and I flew the hawk today. It was a surprisingly uneventful flight aside from the hand-launch. At full throttle with a light toss it flips inverted immediately. 2nd launch was better...less throttle and slightly harder toss.

It's much easier to fly than I expected. I'm starting with a TP325 3 cell. I took it easy but did some quick verticals and it has tons of power with 5 blade fan. It's still cold here and the motor was only warm when I landed. I look forward to dialing it in. The landings weren't great. I had to approach fairly hot and the flare was poor. I may need to adjust the CG a little. I'm finding it somewhat challenging to get the CG accurate on such a small plane.

Overall quite impressed, however I think a gyro would be a great addition to these micros. It would smooth it out and help it in the wind.

I've acquired a few of these models now so I'll be trying the F16 or the F18 next. I got lucky with the hawk. The fan was incredibly smooth. The others I have sound terribly out of balance.
straightup is offline Find More Posts by straightup
Old Mar 27, 2015, 11:14 AM
Noob Speed Demon
Joined Jan 2015
51 Posts
OK, I picked up a 35mm SA MIG15 on eBay. I chatted with hobby king about the receiver and I have the OrangeRX RX3SM. I can't see how to make it fit with my battery. Can anyone let me know how to make it happen or if the receive or battery are not what I should have?
Thanks!
Rob2Smith is offline Find More Posts by Rob2Smith
Last edited by Rob2Smith; Mar 27, 2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 02:06 PM
Joined Sep 2004
133 Posts
I have one of those receivers as well but I haven't considered putting it in one of these jets because they are relatively big and heavy for a micro receiver. HK sells 4 channel receivers without the gyro which are much smaller and lighter. I'm referring to the R410 or R415. That being said, I'm sure you can get it to fit with some surgery. I don't have the mig so i can't offer you specifics on how to make it fit and get the CG right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2Smith View Post
OK, I picked up a 35mm SA MIG15 on eBay. I chatted with hobby king about the receiver and I have the OrangeRX RX3SM. I can't see how to make it fit with my battery. Can anyone let me know how to make it happen or if the receive or battery are not what I should have?
Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 02:32 PM
Noob Speed Demon
Joined Jan 2015
51 Posts
It irks me a bit that they told me it was right for the bird.

However, they are out of the two you mentioned. Is there another brand with something like this? I am struggling trying to find a comparable receiver.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 06:43 PM
Joined Sep 2004
133 Posts
Have you considered putting it inside the hollow canopy?

QUOTE=Rob2Smith;31178563]It irks me a bit that they told me it was right for the bird.

However, they are out of the two you mentioned. Is there another brand with something like this? I am struggling trying to find a comparable receiver.[/QUOTE]
Old Mar 27, 2015, 07:27 PM
United States, WA, Silverdale
Joined Nov 2005
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2Smith View Post
It irks me a bit that they told me it was right for the bird.

However, they are out of the two you mentioned. Is there another brand with something like this? I am struggling trying to find a comparable receiver.
Yeah, there's no way in heck that one is going to fit. I have that rx and the R415. I was able to fit the R415 in sideways just forward of the elevator servo and that Zippy 350 will fit forward of that. I'm still working on the CoG (might have to glue 2 nickels in the floor of the cockpit for weight, not sure yet) but I can get the R415, the Zippy 350, and all of the wiring under the canopy and let me tell you it was a tight fit.

I also made a thrust tube out of an 8.5"x11" piece of printer paper and that seemed to increase the thrust to where my MiG wanted to fly right out of my hand. I basically made a constant diameter tube from the fan body to the rear of the MiG to do away with the expansion chamber effect. Seems to have increased my thrust over not having one. I need to pick up an inexpensive mg scale and make a cradle for my MiG and test the thrust produced both with, and without, the tube to see if it makes any difference.

I did a battery test run with both of my Zippy 350's and got over 4 minutes of full throttle on each test run before I stopped the runs. Individual cell voltages were 3.4 one one pack and 3.3 on the other pack and I pushed back in 270 mAH and 274 mAH to each one. I figure with throttle management I should be able to get 5+ minutes of flight time with each battery. No one answered my question about the ThunderPower TP325-2SM70J or TP325-2SL55J packs (2s 70C and 55C packs, respectively) so I may end up getting either a couple more of the Zippy 350's or try some of the Nano-Tech's.
girick is online now Find More Posts by girick
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:26 PM
Noob Speed Demon
Joined Jan 2015
51 Posts
Cool report girick. HK was out of 415's and I was fortunate to find one on Ebay. I will have it this wednesday..... shame I can't fly it this weekend.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 07:30 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,534 Posts
The lipo fittment in the F-86 and the mig was a challenge. I managed to stuff 3s 500 MAh packs into mine. Had to put in a second floor under the batter tray and carve out the original foam to make them fit. the others were a breeze by comparison.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:56 PM
Joined Sep 2004
133 Posts
A-10 maiden - 5 second flight

Tried to maiden my A10 today in stock form (2s and 5 blade fan). The wind was pretty gusty and I should have known better but I'm still surprised by how it behaved. The launch was good into the wind with little to no roll. The plane started to sink slowly so I applied elev and it tip stalled to inverted before I could blink. I flipped back over and applied elevator again and it tip stalled into the grass. I broke the fuse and a piece of tail off, but it will be easy to fix as they were clean breaks. I will wait for ideal conditions before I try it again. It may have been caused by simply going too slow and applying too much elevator but wow is it unforgiving. I was expecting the down wind turn to be the killer but I didn't even get to that - this all happened within about 5 seconds. The CG was 20mm back at the wing root.