HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2014, 12:29 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Gordon View Post
So I finally got to test the Mobius today and I see blurry corners on the right hand side of the video. Do I need to focus it?

Otherwise great little camera

This is the wide angle lens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L13lc...Yc97ela31l6Bzw
Looks like you got the B lens wide angle lens? It won't hurt to try focusing adjustment, though the rest of the frame looks to be in pretty good focus. It could be a very slight mis-alignment (axial) of the lens barrel relative to the CMOS array, which needs to be perfectly perpendicular to the lens axis. Don't over tighten the lens retainer set screw.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2014, 01:41 AM
Joined Jan 2014
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Gordon View Post
So I finally got to test the Mobius today and I see blurry corners on the right hand side of the video. Do I need to focus it?

Otherwise great little camera

This is the wide angle lens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L13lc...Yc97ela31l6Bzw
It can probably be improved a little with refocusing, but to get it perfect, and similar on both sides, a shim between sensor and lens holder may be necessary, can't say if it needs it on left or right, that depends - if you need to focus closer or further to get the corners sharp. If you go too far, the corners on the other side will blur. (Optics 101... )

(Remember, the lens itself only costs around $15, so don't expect miracles!)
Janke is offline Find More Posts by Janke
Old Mar 09, 2014, 03:51 AM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Apr 2011
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfl68 View Post
I often do time lapse for events and exhibits, so the cameras are often up in a catwalk or other hard to access area for several days. I am just trying to cover my bases in case AC power is disconnected at some point during the recording, as more than likely no one will notice until it's too late. I just need to figure out typical battery drain for time lapse, and get appropriate sized USB battery to last the duration.
There many options for ready to use power banks. Size, weight, shape, type of batteries, capacity, etc.

Then there are many possibilities of making a DIY power bank.
I made this for myself, although I have ordered a single and a double 18650 power bank.
As I like the simplicity of the NiMH batteries.

Name: step up diy.jpg
Views: 87
Size: 170.0 KB
Description:

You could use 6 or more batteries in parallel in sets of 3 and use a step up converter. It is better than using 6 batteries in series and use a step down regulator.
air_crash is offline Find More Posts by air_crash
Old Mar 09, 2014, 06:51 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rally jim View Post
Picofly,,that was a cool tranquil vid,,very nice,, what was that song-music btw,,very eurethral.
?ethereal?
eurethral means something else ...
Mike
empeabee is online now Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Mar 09, 2014, 12:09 PM
Joined Nov 2011
17 Posts
I had a pretty bad crash with my wing and the lens on the Mobius got smashed. Now when trying to switch it on, I get the blue LED for a split second and then nothing. After that I can press anyhting I want but nothing happens. I then need to reset it or unplug the battery to get the blue LED to flash again when turning it on.

According to the maunal a blue light followed by orange means a camera module defect or possible ribbon cable issue. So I disconnected the camera module ribbon and reconnected it but it changed nothing.

Am I right then to assume the camera module needs replacing? Or is the camera board also trashed?
mvh808 is offline Find More Posts by mvh808
Old Mar 09, 2014, 12:26 PM
Joined Mar 2014
2 Posts
Out of focus issue

Hello,

I received my Mobius camera 2 weeks ago and used it for FPV.
However I noticed most of my videos were blury, while some others were perfect.
Sometimes, the camera even gets or loses focus during the flight.

I made some non-FPV sample clips to highlight my issue, and make sure it was not related to the plane (vibrations, interferences, etc).
I suppose this is not normal behavior? Is this a software or hardware bug?
I already opened the camera to check the lens focus and make sure it was correctly secured.

Thanks for your help!
royale is offline Find More Posts by royale
Old Mar 09, 2014, 12:47 PM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Apr 2011
316 Posts
Another idea for a DIY AAA power bank.

Name: AAA DIY power bank.jpg
Views: 84
Size: 227.2 KB
Description:
Old Mar 09, 2014, 12:53 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by royale View Post
Hello,

I made some non-FPV sample clips to highlight my issue, and make sure it was not related to the plane (vibrations, interferences, etc).
I already opened the camera to check the lens focus and make sure it was correctly secured.

Thanks for your help!
The only way focus can change is if the lens barrel rotates in the plastic module or the CMOS backplate is loose (held in place by two machine screws on the back side of the module. If both of those are secure, perhaps a lens element spacer inside the lens barrel is missing (not very likely). It could be an instability in the video codec compression or imager sharpness adjustment malfunctioning. It's definitely not normal. The firmware is able to interact with those functions, but it would not be unstable like that.

I'd re-load the FW, and if the condition still exists, contact your vendor for resolution.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Mar 09, 2014, 12:56 PM
Joined Jan 2014
6 Posts
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for your help!
Sorry I can't help but the same thing happened to me, I tried different firmware and changing the lens focus and nothing helped. I found sometimes the focus changed when pointing the camera up from if it was pointing down. I sent my camera back for a replacement, they just wanted some sample footage and then asked me to send it back, my new one is on the way
gomme600 is offline Find More Posts by gomme600
Old Mar 09, 2014, 12:58 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by air_crash View Post
Another idea for a DIY AAA power bank.

Attachment 6576352
might last an hour, and a 1S 600 mAH lipo would be a whole lot lighter, smaller, & maybe cheaper
Mike (parades rained on to order )
Old Mar 09, 2014, 01:05 PM
Joined Jan 2014
202 Posts
Quote:
Camera starts focused and loses focus if I move

I would guess you have a loose lens inside the lens barrel; there are several small lenses inside, held in place by screwed ring(s). If a ring is loose, the lens(es) can move inside, and you lose focus.
Janke is offline Find More Posts by Janke
Old Mar 09, 2014, 01:22 PM
Joined Mar 2014
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The only way focus can change is if the lens barrel rotates in the plastic module or the CMOS backplate is loose (held in place by two machine screws on the back side of the module. If both of those are secure, perhaps a lens element spacer inside the lens barrel is missing (not very likely). It could be an instability in the video codec compression or imager sharpness adjustment malfunctioning. It's definitely not normal. The firmware is able to interact with those functions, but it would not be unstable like that.

I'd re-load the FW, and if the condition still exists, contact your vendor for resolution.
Ok thank you for the suggestions, I will check the screws.
Regarding the firmware, I already flashed 1.17 and 1.13, it did not solve the issue.
royale is offline Find More Posts by royale
Old Mar 09, 2014, 01:57 PM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Apr 2011
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
might last an hour, and a 1S 600 mAH lipo would be a whole lot lighter, smaller, & maybe cheaper
Mike (parades rained on to order )
Lipo is not SAFE.
If you have children you may know.
They bite anything.
Then again leaving 48ours a NiMH to charge on a charger (assuming its timer is faulty) won`t make any harm.
Leaving a 600mAh lipo charging for 8 hours (overnight) on a charger that got faulty is certain that will explode.

That`s why in my previous message about the 3x AA power bank said "I like the simplicity of the NiMH".
My camera uses AA, my keyboard, mouse, etc.
You can have multiple charging and be relaxed.
Old Mar 09, 2014, 03:10 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,844 Posts
I beg to differ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by air_crash View Post
Lipo is not SAFE.
MiMH, Alkaline, lead/acid cells are NOT SAFE (v poisonous)
Quote:
If you have children you may know.
They bite anything.
You must never leave ANYTHING dangerous where small children can 'chew' it
Quote:
Then again leaving 48ours a NiMH to charge on a charger (assuming its timer is faulty) won`t make any harm.
surely you jest, see below
Quote:
Leaving a 600mAh lipo charging for 8 hours (overnight) on a charger that got faulty is certain that will explode.
Leaving a 600mAh NiMH charging for 8 hours (overnight) on a charger that failed to peak detect is certain that one or more cells will explode.
I know, I had to replace the broken window (and the charger and the other 3 cells)
Quote:
That`s why in my previous message about the 3x AA power bank said "I like the simplicity of the NiMH".
My camera uses AA, my keyboard, mouse, etc.
You can have multiple charging and be relaxed.
and so can I
So shall we call it a draw, (except for the pollution from nickel after use);
Mike

By the way, replace your 3 AAA s with a single A123 cell, which claims to be proof against overcharging, and you don't have to be forever fretting about which of the 3 cells is on its way out
Old Mar 09, 2014, 03:37 PM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
?ethereal?
eurethral means something else ...
Mike
Excuse me, I laughed so hard I almost peed..... (sorry I had to)

Geoff
gbmarsh is offline Find More Posts by gbmarsh