Find More Posts by ED3
ED3
100% RC ADDICT
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2007
760 Posts
Help!
i need help setting up a Trex 600 on a DX7 or DX7s???>>>

I traded a few of my planes for this heli , I can fly them but I don't know how to set them up. If any body is local (Pasadena, CA) or surrounding areas
any help is appreciated, and let me know how much

I tried you tube but not much help

thanks, ed
ED3 is offline Find More Posts by ED3
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2015, 04:43 PM
Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
United States, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2013
440 Posts
I know the problem, I can't learn anything from videos, I need to read it instead. www.rchelicopterfun.com has excellent ebooks that explain the setup. Get the "120 degree swashplate setup" (or something like that, don't remember the exact title), that should help you.
Here's a short guide to get you started:

1. Your heli has a flybar, so you have to select a "120 degree" swash in your transmitter.
2. Program a pitch curve that is flat around the center: 0-50-50-50-100 (I believe the DX7 has 5 point curves)
3. Get your servo arms to 90 degrees at mid-stick (that's where this flattened curve comes in handy), using sub trim
3a. Use servo reverse to ensure that the swash stays level when you change the pitch/throttle stick. All servos should move either up or down together; it doesn't matter here which direction as long as they all do the same.
3b. Go into the "swash mix" menu; there you should typically find values like +60 or -60 for pitch, aileron, and elevator. Adjust the sign such that the swash moves in the correct direction - right aileron tilts it to the right, forward elevator tilts if forward, and pitch "up" slides it up on the main shaft without tilting.
4. Remove the head, slide a swash leveling tool over the main shaft down to the swash
5. Level the swash at mid-stick by adjusting the linkages from the servos to the swash
6. Level the swash at low and high stick by adjusting the servo end points (travel adjust) in your transmitter
7. Put your head back on

I gotta look up the next steps later; don't remember them for a flybar heli...
getsuyoubi is offline Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
Last edited by getsuyoubi; Jan 30, 2015 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Added points 3a and 3b.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 05:46 PM
ED3
Find More Posts by ED3
ED3
100% RC ADDICT
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2007
760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by getsuyoubi View Post
I know the problem, I can't learn anything from videos, I need to read it instead. www.rchelicopterfun.com has excellent ebooks that explain the setup. Get the "120 degree swashplate setup" (or something like that, don't remember the exact title), that should help you.
Here's a short guide to get you started:

1. You heli has a flybar, so you have to select a "120 degree" swash in your transmitter.
2. Program a pitch curve that is flat around the center: 0-50-50-50-100 (I believe the DX7 has 5 point curves)
3. Get your servo arms to 90 degrees at mid-stick (that's where this flattened curve comes in handy), using sub trim
4. Remove the head, slide a swash leveling tool over the main shaft down to the swash
5. Level the swash at mid-stick by adjusting the linkages from the servos to the swash
6. Level the swash at low and high stick by adjusting the servo end points (travel adjust) in your transmitter
7. Put your head back on

I gotta look up the next steps later; don't remember them for a flybar heli...

thanks
Old Jan 30, 2015, 08:10 PM
Joined Sep 2013
440 Posts
OK, finally I found some time to look up the next steps. Turns out to be sort of the same as with flybarless; I thought there was more to it due to the flybar.
Anyway, here we go:

8. With your head back on and all the pushrods connected, lock the flybar such that it is horizontal (at a right angle to the main shaft). There are flybar locks for this purpose, but I'm not sure whether they are still available. You may want to experiment with inserting something that keeps the flybar from moving.

9. With the stick at 50 percent (mid-stick), set your pitch to zero degrees by adjusting the pushrods.

10. Check the pitch at high and low stick; compare with the manual. It should probably be something like +12 degrees at high and -12 degrees at low stick. Adjust the value for "pitch" in the swash mi menu. Note that it will affect both directions - if you go from the initial +60 at high stick to +50, it will also reduce the negative pitch from say -14 to -12 degrees.

11. Try all combinations of collective and cyclic input to ensure there is no binding. If binding occurs, reduce the corresponding value (aileron or elevator) in the swash mix menu.

12. Tail setup: Make sure the direction is correct. If not, reverse servo direction in the transmitter. Setup the gyro according to the manual; the correction direction is obviously critical. Set your gain to 65-70 percent for your first flight, or better ask someone with the same setup for a better start value.

I believe this is it in terms of setup of the heli itself. Now you have to set your pitch and throttle curves, and expo in your transmitter.
Last edited by getsuyoubi; Jan 30, 2015 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Added points 10 to 12
Old Jan 30, 2015, 08:37 PM
ED3
Find More Posts by ED3
ED3
100% RC ADDICT
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2007
760 Posts
ill give it my best shot, probably till sunday evening.
ill go thru the steps and check them off as I go
thanks again
Old Feb 01, 2015, 10:17 PM
Find More Posts by mhills51
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
13,855 Posts
Wow! where you are at there is at least three clubs around that should be able to help you out. Your request is not abnormal,
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
Old Feb 24, 2015, 09:37 AM
Find More Posts by Florida Heli
Expert Heli Crasher
Joined Jan 2014
2,116 Posts
Quote:
www.rchelicopterfun.com has excellent ebooks that explain the setup. Get the "120 degree swashplate setup"
+1. I have a copy of it sitting here with me. It was worth every penny I paid to download the eBook. I can't imagine building/setting up a heli without reading it first. It covers flybar helis with significant differences for FBL helis clearly listed.

-Florida Heli-
Florida Heli is offline Find More Posts by Florida Heli
Old Apr 07, 2015, 08:06 AM
Find More Posts by edwinkania
Addicted to RC aircraft
United States, PA, Hazleton
Joined Jul 2002
460 Posts
+1 I also have the book still use it for my helicopter setup. I am building a TREX 600 ESP I just got at the LHS for $200.00. That will be my winter project.

EK~
edwinkania is offline Find More Posts by edwinkania
Old Apr 07, 2015, 02:05 PM
Joined Sep 2013
440 Posts
You're starting your winter project in April???
Old Apr 07, 2015, 06:25 PM
Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
I'm breaking-in helis.
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
2,841 Posts
now THAT is a machine, ED3 looks awesome! +1 on rchelicopterfun.com

well, i won't post anything helpful cos i never flew with flybar and everything else is pretty much covered.
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Apr 08, 2015, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by edwinkania
Addicted to RC aircraft
United States, PA, Hazleton
Joined Jul 2002
460 Posts
Quote:
You're starting your winter project in April???
No not starting my winter project in april. I just got the 600. I am really happy I got the trex 600 for $200. I hope it flies like my 450.

EK~
edwinkania is offline Find More Posts by edwinkania