Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:27 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,114 Posts
Back to the line.

'Way back at the beginning,I spoke of sanding down the die-crunched wing ribs, to make them smooth and useable.
Someone asked if I took off too much,ending up with a thinner airfoil...It probably wouldn't matter, bu I used 1/8 in sheeting and cap strips and restored the height to the original templates.
-just sayin'-
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:00 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
565 Posts
Wow Earl I think I am now following three or four different build threads of yours. Are you ever going to finish anything? LOL. Keep it up I am the same way. I got two plan builds on the table, one kit, and one of the guys at my club just gave me an ARF that he won but didn't want because he only flys foamies.
cbarnes0061 is online now Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:22 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,114 Posts
I am totally out of control...builds every where !..I go in cycles....I'll finish the builds under way, then fly for a couple of years, unable to even think about building..

Since I retired, I threw the 'rules' out the window. It's according to which build makes me happy for the day.

I should be five people.! So many airplanes, so little time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:48 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,221 Posts
Sounds like raising kids. You "build" them (as many as you have room for) under one roof, and when they're finished - bam! Out they go!

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:45 AM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Earl,I have a good amount of kits that I hope will get to your years.Plus plans also.I try to balance flying and building.90 degree's and humid will keep in the cellar building planes.
stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:57 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMET 44 View Post
Earl,I have a good amount of kits that I hope will get to your years.Plus plans also.I try to balance flying and building.90 degree's and humid will keep in the cellar building planes.
stefanP
I'm 72,and a realist.-Right now, even if they never get finished,...every day I'm happy, doing what I love to do!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:38 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
I'm 72,and a realist.-Right now, even if they never get finished,...every day I'm happy, doing what I love to do!
I'm 69 and have drawn the same conclusion. It may be well to be goal oriented but it is essential to make the process enjoyable.

The energy which inspires us could be viewed like the sea's invisible air currents which are constantly changing direction and force. If the direction in which you are determined to sail is directly into the wind, you can expend needless amounts of energy. But if, instead, you select a heading which optimizes your boat's sailing performance, but still generally advances you towards the right quadrant, you "go with the flow."

Likewise I am helpless to confine myself to a single project, so always have many in progress. And, as the energy which drives me comes in gusts and from various directions, so do I advance my projects, each in their turn, depending on where the energy is coming from.

Some days I am becalmed.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:38 PM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
Hey Earl if you need some help send them to me and I will build and fly them for you. . Your doing a great job and are a true craftsman. Keep up the good work and I will continue to follow all of your builds even if you have 10 of them going at once.
cbarnes0061 is online now Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:39 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,114 Posts
I have reached my limit-there's no more room !
I have to build the right stock wing, then set up for the right symmetrical wing, now, before I move the fixture to do the left ones.

There are STILL rules !
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:20 AM
Joined May 2012
209 Posts
Thanks For the Tutorial

Earl, Like you I've got a lot of planes in some state of thinking about building, punching out, on the board, being covered, getting the engines tested repairing hanger rash and hopefully heaven forbid in the air. I really appreciate finding this build as I've got a Nosen Mr. Mulligan that I really want to build. This one appears to be an original not the A&A Industries version but it is not pretty I was a bit dismayed as I was working the ribs out of the sheets today (got a back strain and am not fit for honest work). There's no doubt that I'll have to take my medicine and rework the ribs and the spar slots. It was fortunate for me to be getting this tutorial. Thanks for sharing the know how. And yes between unfinished dressers, big boxes of airplanes, power tools and building boards there does come a time when you just run out of space. I don't have room to swing a cat just ask my five cats. Cliffc
Cliffc is offline Find More Posts by Cliffc
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:00 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,114 Posts
Encouraging me will only make it WORSE! And before folks can only see one side of me, by now, nearly 300 models have winged their way through the blue, off my work benches.
Three models liked flying so much, they never came back..I built a Sig Kadet MK11 as a Christmas present,(from parents to son).and couple of months later, a radio malfunction sent it across country to destinations unknown.

My fly-aways consisted of a "Sinbad", and a B-70 Valkyrie sheet balsa affair..The B-70 was the result of not believing it could be 'trimmed' for a first flight.-My models NEVER flew without a lot of trimming.
Sadness and pride,as it winged away to never be seen again.That Cox Baby-Bee was a dependable, long running engine.....I have proof !
I'm happy to have helped you.Let's get on the "Mulligan", now. You've already lost yesterday......
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:43 AM
WW I Flyer
Enid, OKlahoma
Joined Dec 2008
59 Posts
My name is Rich, I am glad I found your thread, I too love to build. Now I am into 1/4 scale WW I airplanes, I have three flying and one on the build table. I am also in the same age group. I 'll be following along, what other thread do you have currently open.

Rich
jwrich is offline Find More Posts by jwrich
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:17 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrich View Post
My name is Rich, I am glad I found your thread, I too love to build. Now I am into 1/4 scale WW I airplanes, I have three flying and one on the build table. I am also in the same age group. I 'll be following along, what other thread do you have currently open.

Rich
Giant Scale Airplanes-Fairchild F-24 1/3 scale
Balsa Builders- Nosen Citabria/Decathlon
Scale Fuel Planes-1/4 scale monocoupe.
Balsa Builders-The MId-wing Special.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:40 AM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012