Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:18 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2001
153 Posts
Eric when you do please make a video of that Duellist on YS-45s screaming by. I can already hear the twin YS-45s resonating to tune at 15,000 rpms!
Huang is offline Find More Posts by Huang
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:52 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,303 Posts
Matt,
Post some pictures of your stuff. We ike pictures.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:54 PM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Joined May 2006
1,290 Posts
Matt,

Awesome! I am happy that one of "our own" got the Atlanta. I know about how short time is!!

I am glad that my Atlanta inspired you.

Pictures, please pictures.

Doug
Fatherof4 is offline Find More Posts by Fatherof4
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:17 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2001
153 Posts
What was so interesting Doug was I remember reading how you met the original builder Kevin again after 20 years and got your Atlanta back in the air. Some inspiration!

I always loved the vintage pattern ships - the Curares, Auroras, Blue Angels... they were my dream planes when I was young and still is now. I built and flew a few of them and the last one was the Wildbeat by Akiba.

I switched to 100% electric about 8 years ago due to the field limitations here and also got into flying all types of sailplanes. Last year I moved closer to a field where I could fly glow and all of a sudden got the itch to fly vintage pattern again. You know the screaming two strokes on pipe!

That 2035 video from Kevin probably had something to do with it. Don't have many photos of the planes on hand, here's a stash of classic pattern engines behind my desk... and the only small iphone video I have here, the H9 Phonenix 7 on a maiden fly by. Turn up the volume to enjoy!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1748562
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:41 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,303 Posts
Nice!
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
I'm looking for a ShowTime50!!
Any one has one to sell or sugget me how find one
thanks
lele75 is offline Find More Posts by lele75
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:03 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2001
153 Posts
lele, you might have better luck posting a WTB ad at the classifieds section (under fuel airplanes or electric airplanes)
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:10 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2001
153 Posts
One of those YS rear exhausts will go into the Atlanta, not decided on the LS or short. Or maybe one of the new limited run YS-60s that is said to come out end of the year. As you can see I'm also an Enya fan, very nice metal work and they are still around producing great stuff...

Does anyone know who is the designer to Atlanta? Is my Naruke theory likely?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:57 AM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Joined May 2006
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huang View Post
What was so interesting Doug was I remember reading how you met the original builder Kevin again after 20 years and got your Atlanta back in the air. Some inspiration!

I always loved the vintage pattern ships - the Curares, Auroras, Blue Angels... they were my dream planes when I was young and still is now. I built and flew a few of them and the last one was the Wildbeat by Akiba.

I switched to 100% electric about 8 years ago due to the field limitations here and also got into flying all types of sailplanes. Last year I moved closer to a field where I could fly glow and all of a sudden got the itch to fly vintage pattern again. You know the screaming two strokes on pipe!

That 2035 video from Kevin probably had something to do with it. Don't have many photos of the planes on hand, here's a stash of classic pattern engines behind my desk... and the only small iphone video I have here, the H9 Phonenix 7 on a maiden fly by. Turn up the volume to enjoy!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1748562
Matt,

I actually met Kevin 30 years ago when we were both teenagers. We shared the bond of RC airplanes and he painted my airplanes for me. I actually built the Atlanta but Kevin has always been my spray-man.

Like the video of the P8.

If I had the time and money I would wait for the new YS. Kevin and talked to Richard Verano and gotten the inside scoop and those things are POWERFUL!! It will be worth your wait in my opinion.

Lastly, Any chance you can make it down here to our "Pattern Contest/Get-Together" in November?

Doug
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:25 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2001
153 Posts
Man, Doug, that's really good news on the YS. That'll be the perfect engine for the Atlanta then! I remember when talking to Rich that it will be a short stroke in the LS case, correct? Any more info?

That P7 is powered by the original YS-60FS courtesy of Jeff aka Generic Member.

Unfortunately with a one year old son now I am much less able to travel down south. I do read every one of your contests and photos with much enthusiasm!

Where can one download the schedules that are flown for classic pattern?

Matt
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:02 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,829 Posts
From what I gather, the new YS shorties should be available in time for the Xmas holiday's. But that's a tad of speculation on my part.

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:34 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2001
153 Posts
Well the Atlanta is here . Sorry no open box photos yet, just got done inspecting the contents.

The first impression is what a beautiful kit! First time seeing the green polyester resin fuse, very stiff, and with formers already molded. The shape of the fuse, wing and belly pan just looks superb. And the wood quality looks quite good. This is the '81 version with engine rails, which I prefer because I can use the MK soft beam mounts.

This was advertised as NIB, but it turns out there has been some minor work already done by a prior owner. The wing/stab tips have been joined and carefully shaped. I also noticed builder cut the flaps about 2" longer than plans (and therefore shorter ailerons). This might be a good thing, because in my experience those tiny flaps (aka Arrow and Curare style) does not do much, and the planes have excellent roll rate already. A set of Dave Brown/Southern Pro retracts are included, but I will likely go electric or fit with proper MKs.

The slightly bad is one of the aileron servo pockets have been cutout from the wings, then somehow another piece of balsa is CAed back sealing the cutout again . One of the ailerons is split and CAed back which results in a slight warp. All very easy things to correct, but a surprise when I thought the plane was NIB.

A question for those that still have the NIB kit -- I cannot find much hardware included. Besides a bag of precut ply formers, about the only hardware I see is the aluminum belly pan mount and some aluminum tubes. Did the original kit not include other hardware, for example the flap and spoiler torque rods, and the nice rear elevator torque rod setup as seen in the plans? Or does the builder have to make their own?

Overall, very well preserved for a 30 year old kit. Compared to an MK kit, this is almost ARC!

Matt
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:31 PM
Paul Pappas AMA 42520
CT,USA
Joined Aug 2008
1,102 Posts
Atlanta 60

Hey Matt, Glad to hear you got a kit! You’re going to enjoy this plane!!

All the hardware was up to the builder since this was a competition ship but the elevator internal setup was included. They did supply 12 aluminum dowel pins for locating the bellypan and a couple of aluminum tubing pieces for locating the wing, you still had to get a couple of mini camlocks(Prather) to attach the bellpan. Glass cloth and some aluminum shielding but that was about it.

The original ZigSaw Atlanta kits didn’t come with any hardware for flaps and spoilers. They recommended IM‘s premade hardware for both options back then. This hardware is pretty easy to duplicate if you decide to go with these options.

I personally would just go with dual aileron servos and use a flaperon mix in the radio to get the same results without adding more weight and a complicated setup.

Oh, by the way the wing dihedral is wrong in the manuals.
Pitstop000 is offline Find More Posts by Pitstop000
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: JR 28X / JR’s Flagship Radio!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:14 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2001
153 Posts
Thanks Paul! The Altanta has been on the bucket list for a long time. Very happy to finally see one in person.

Thanks for the pointers on the original kit! I thought that the internal elevator setup would be included, but they are not hard to fabricate because they are really just torque rods. Same with flaps. Usually I steer far away from torque rods on ailerons because they get slop after a while and I can't stand any slop. Plus single aileron servo is limiting in setup vs dual aileron servos.

I was wondering whether Zigsaw included the MK type aileron/flap setup: I'm sure you are familiar with the very neat tube-in-tube torque rod setup that's included in many MK kits of this era: both flaps and ailerons in one internal system. I have it on the Arrow, and thought they were extremely cool not only because they are surprisingly tight and slop free, but it makes all the servos and linkages internal in the wings for a very clean look. Added that the Atlanta has internal elevators linkages, this will produces a streamlined Atlanta with all internal linkages that will look beautiful and fast, and produces a period correct design.

I don't have extra sets of those MK rod-torque rods, so I will probably still go with dual ailerons. Plus one aileron pocket is already cutout by the prior builder.

I'll check again on the kit contents on those aluminum pins and start gathering parts. Hopefully I will have time to build this soon!

Matt
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:19 AM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Joined May 2006
1,290 Posts
Matt,

You mean like this??

Used to be mine, traded to some guy named Paul in CT!!!!

He also got my Hitori off-set header and pipe.

Just in case you want to try to make a deal with him.

Doug