to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:39 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
... but I'll also lay out there that Joe swapped from Slicks being his favorite planes to the Extra's due to their better manners.... just say'n
....and winning a lot with them. But heck thats whats truly great about 3DHS planes. They all are good with elements to please every flyer.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:40 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
Surely, you aren't serious?

Have you put the 71 together yet?
If someone local wanted to make the trade then I'm down. I haven't built it yet but I did glue in the stab.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:47 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I was there Saturday only.

I see that the "love of Slick" is upon you. I trust that your fiancee/wife can stand it.

My wife is right in wanting me to sell or to put some planes in storage. But most of my planes are like children to me. I don't want to get rid of them just because they are older!
so far my wife has left me alone for the most part... i don't ask her questions when nordstrom boxes arrive at the house, she doesn't ask questions when 6 foot boxes arrive either!

I do have that slickness sickness... i'm not good enough to dig deep and tell you why i do-- other than no plane makes me feel as stable low and slow as my 70 slick... i've flown the 72 and the 57 extra and had similar feelings as i did with the extreme flight 60 extra, while they were awesome planes, i just didn't feel as comfortable down low as i did with the slicks, and in extreme flight's case i felt the same way with their 60 edge, felt much more comfortable on that than the extra... i do see that the better, more advanced pilots seem to lean towards the extras, while the average 3d pilot tends to prefer the slick/edge... bottom line is, they are all awesome planes so it doesn't matter what you have, just huck the hell out of it!
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:04 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,507 Posts
Stick time on the Extra

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
If someone local wanted to make the trade then I'm down. I haven't built it yet but I did glue in the stab.
Well, as a guy who is putting in more stick time than me on the Extra, do you agree that the Extra is more well mannered than the Slick?
Trill is online now Find More Posts by Trill
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,507 Posts
An amusing perspective for men

Some humor for the Slick versus Extra or if you like, Extra versus Slick discussion follows.

As an intermediate skill level pilot the Extra is like the blonde/redhead you date whereas the Slick is the brunette you marry.

On the other hand, as an advanced skill level pilot, the Extra could become the blonde you marry!

Jokes aside, I do prefer the aesthetics of the Extra over the Slicks. But yellow is the most visible color with orange running a close second. We know that the Slicks are the star of the story in an orange scheme!

AJ, Joe, Wamsy, Bivens, Ben, Scott and company where are you? Arron has already given expert commentary.
Last edited by Trill; Oct 14, 2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:24 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,043 Posts
Wow well articulated Trill
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:31 PM
Suspended Account
United States
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Some humor for the Slick versus Extra or if you like, Extra versus Slick discussion follows.

As an intermediate skill level pilot the Extra is like the blonde/redhead you date whereas the Slick is the brunette you marry.

On the other hand, as an advanced skill level pilot, the Extra could become the blonde you marry!

The truth is I do prefer the aesthetics of the Extra over the Slicks. But that orange color scheme of the Slicks pops in the sky.

AJ, Joe, Wamsy, Bivens, Ben, Scott and company where are you? Arron has already given expert commentary.
They're probably out flying!
GNFSolutions - Gyro is offline Find More Posts by GNFSolutions - Gyro
Last edited by GNFSolutions - Gyro; Oct 16, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:36 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
946 Posts
Do these comparisons of 70" size planes apply equally well to their 50" size counterparts? I'm already pondering a plane for next spring, there is the 51" slick, the 48" edge, and 47" extra. Or of course the 48" super vyper.

If the blonde/redhead/brunette comparison holds for the 50" range then it's the slick for me.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNFSolutions View Post
Joe has his own forum for one on one questions "over there"
Ah, please give the link to Joe's forum.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:57 PM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Ah, please give the link to Joe's forum.
Over there is what we talked about earlier trill.. Nobody will post links, big brother is always watching!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:59 PM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
Do these comparisons of 70" size planes apply equally well to their 50" size counterparts? I'm already pondering a plane for next spring, there is the 51" slick, the 48" edge, and 47" extra. Or of course the 48" super vyper.

If the blonde/redhead/brunette comparison holds for the 50" range then it's the slick for me.
Good choice!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,507 Posts
More precision for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post

Well, I'm leaning more towards precision than 3D nowadays, but I want the plane to do it all and do it all well! Accordingly, the 65" Vyper could be my next acquisition.

What do you want your 50" plane to do? If you want the ultimate 3D machines the
48" Edge and 51" Slick will make you happy. If you want more precision, the 48" Super Vyper is likely the way to go.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:05 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the insight on why Joe switched from the 89" Slick to the 87" Extra 300 SHP with which he won back-to-back King 50 titles. I have only a dozen or so flights on my electric 87" SHP because so far I did not care for the transportation and setup time at the flying field.

An advanced and experienced pilot at my club (forty years RC airplane and helicopter experience and thirty years commercial pilot) flew my 87" SHP a few times and said it's the best 50cc he's ever flown and he has an EF 88" Extra 300 that was professionally built. As an intermediate RC pilot I really enjoy watching him wring out my new planes so that I can see what they are capable of. He let me fly his new EF 64" MXS and after flying it I chose to go with the 59" Slick as my new "take me to the next level" mid sized electric.

Now on to my questions:

Is it true that the 59" Slick flies differently than the other Slicks? If so, how so?

If the 59" Slick does fly differently (better?) than say the larger Slicks, would you still opine that the Extras and Edges are better at low and slow 3D than a larger Slick with the flight envelope of the 59" Slick?

I am searching for the best airframe with an optimum setup in a mid size electric through a 50cc size electric to better my skills. All my planes are electric and for the forseeable future I will stay with electric.

Thanks for sharing your experience, expertise, and insights.

Fly the best!

"Excellence is the minimum. Perfection is the standard."

P.S. You have done an outstanding job for 3DHS on the forums, but I still miss the telephone support from Ben. He would always have the right suggestion for the next plane to increase my skills.

Also, we had some intriguing discussions of philosophy.

BTW, has Ben gotten that graduate degree in philosophy yet?
I'm cutting in here. New to thread with a 48" Edge that I love but the sale on the 59" Slick has my trigger finger itching to pull! I am looking for something to fly a bit "heavier" than the Edge and bring me to the next level. I'd say after about 11 months back in the hobby after 15 years I am an intermediate+ on sport and 3D flying with hovers, blenders, poptops, KE, KE spins, etc all under my belt. Rollers are sketchy. Very comfortable but still getting used to the Edge. Would like to stay on a 4S set up using 2200-4400 mAh. The Hacker A40-12S is out of stock. Will the A40-10S with a 14x7 prop give enough punch to get me to the next level of 3D? Thanks for any feedback on the plane and recommended setups. Love flying low and 3DHS!
Daren, Greenland, NH
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,507 Posts
Manners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
Wow well articulated Trill
And my compliments to you sir!