SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2015, 12:40 PM
United States, CT
Joined Nov 2012
57 Posts
I wonder why the Ultimates never really caught on; they're fantastic to look at, performed extremely well, and present a good alternative to all of the numerous variations of Pitts aerobatic biplanes.[/QUOTE]

I love the Ultimate bipe, had two of CG backin the day when they came out, crashed one and sold the other when I got out of the hobby back in 96, well i am back in the hobby again last 1-2 years, mostly cause of all the great Electric inovations,
I have found a couple of Ultimates, I have a WM 72' 50cc conv. to electric and a Nitroplanes 120 that I am going electric with.
I remember the ole TOC events when the big Ultimates where so popular and winning planes. I can't wait to fly mine soon, if the weather ever gets good again, lol... any way I am a BIG fan of this aircraft...
color me gone is online now Find More Posts by color me gone
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2015, 12:57 PM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
I wonder why the Ultimates never really caught on; they're fantastic to look at, performed extremely well, and present a good alternative to all of the numerous variations of Pitts aerobatic biplanes.
The way I see the Ultimate is that it is a sort of an "in between" design: a biplane that is trying to do what the modern monoplanes do. It no longer quite has the nostalgia value, or classicness, that the various Pitts designs have - even the S1-11 and the latest radial engined ones. On the other hand, it isn't quite up to what the hottest modern monoplanes can do.
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Feb 08, 2015, 02:09 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,092 Posts
I still love the look of the Ultimate and have loved the way they fly. Sadly I have none currently in my hangar (I have dumb thumbs thanks to some nerve damage - I hate the way an Ultimate crashes).
martimer is online now Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2015, 02:56 PM
United States, MO, Stockton
Joined Oct 2013
862 Posts
dreamer

I've flown a few ultimates and owned one myself, I have no complaints towards the plane, a biplane that gives the monoplanes a run for there money, but I also owned a dreamer bipe. it was a 40 size and I had a 65 fs on it, it looked scary, no one wanted to fly it, It turned out to be a great flier, no bad habits and plenty of power to spare, I traded mine for a gasser and sometimes I regret it, but i still have the plans, and a large version is in the planning
slam555 is offline Find More Posts by slam555
Old Feb 08, 2015, 05:40 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,895 Posts
fantastic! i would love a bigger electric version of my eflite ultimate. something around 66" wing span. any decent arfs out there? nor sure im ready to tackle a kit ultimate just yet... gotta walk before you run right?
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Feb 08, 2015, 05:56 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
4,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
fantastic! i would love a bigger electric version of my eflite ultimate. something around 66" wing span. any decent arfs out there? nor sure im ready to tackle a kit ultimate just yet... gotta walk before you run right?
At 68" Wing span, this fits your size requirements...
https://www.aero-works.net/product/5...20-300-arf-qb/
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Feb 08, 2015, 07:05 PM
Lower AL
Joined Feb 2013
736 Posts
Gave my FlightWorks PT-13 Stearman 5 batteries yesterday and had a great time flying her but didn't run the Video. Just didn't feel like it after I dumb dumbed my ParkZone Extra 300 into the turf. I was tying a maneuver that I've been working on a little to low for mistakes and came down pretty hard trying to go from inverted on a low pass coming off a hammer head to an inverted pass. She should fly again the motor shaft looks like it's still straight. I always do my stuff up high but I've been coming down more and more, ran out of talent.
Jeff……….
SeeMeDo is offline Find More Posts by SeeMeDo
Old Feb 08, 2015, 08:15 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,895 Posts
that aero works is sweet! thanks.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 04:33 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerr74 View Post
sbach 342 3d ... only got one wing....
I suppose that could be rectified

Sbach/Xtremeair fuselage length is about the same as a Pitts Model 12, although weight and power of the full size is a little less than the big Pitts.
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Last edited by perttime; Feb 14, 2015 at 04:41 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:33 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
10,366 Posts
I flew two packs through my E-Flite Ultimate yesterday. Lovely plane, flies extremely well. I'll have to work on the nose though, it vibrates so much that it sounds like a nitro plane. Horizon's included spinners seem to all be junk. I don't want to pick up an aftermarket spinner because the Ultimates have that very pointed spinner and most spinners you find are the wrong shape.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 23, 2015, 01:40 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,895 Posts
precision aerobatics has nice pointy spinners but there carbon and priced high. look amazing ! im in the process of trying to get the stock pointy one to work as well. i reamed the screw holes a bit and am using allen head screws to try to get a better bite. doesn't sound too bad at the moment. i had a really hard time getting it mounted to my dubro balancer... i love balancing stuff so its kinda annoying me.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 02:24 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
10,366 Posts
Are the PA spinners the proper size? I don't mind paying for it... but if it's a 2" spinner and the plane needs a 1.25" spinner that won't float. just an example there, I really don't know what size the backplate is on the e-Flite Ultimate spinner.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:29 PM
United States, MO, Stockton
Joined Oct 2013
862 Posts
bipes

I'm building twinney from foam, just got a phase 3 ultimate very excited bout it, and bought a smith miniplane kit, not to mention the Wayfarer I've got a few bipes to build, might have to build a monoplane in between them, but I finally think i have a dollar tree foam plane system that'll last sam
slam555 is offline Find More Posts by slam555