SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM
United States, FL, Hudson
Joined Apr 2013
857 Posts
Discussion
LI-ion battery for DX6

Again it's not UM but!

I got tired of fighting the AA batteries being eaten up by the DX6. So I got the
Spektrum Li-Ion transmitter battery. I had a real hard time getting it in. In fact the first time I had it in the DX6 didn't come to life. I thought I had messed up the board that the battery plug was on. I thought Great - I gave away my DX6I's and now I've broken my new DX6.

I guess first I'll mention that the battery pack & the charger had no instruction with then. That was disappointing. Most the time I don't even read the instructions but I was having allot of trouble getting the battery plug into the place on the TX where it goes. I removed the TX back cover. Got out the volt omi tester. Put the leads on the new battery and they went backwards to what I expected. I mean for the last 74 years the red lead was always positive - Right?
Well it's not anymore. Then I checked the old 4-AA holder that came with my DX6. It was backwards however I started feeling better. I plugged in to old 4-AA and tried the DX6. All was well. Good! The I remove the old 4-AA and plugged in the new LI-Ion and again the TX came to Life. Better again. I didn't break anything.

So now I had to plug in the new battery while hold the back of the case and the TX all at the same time so I could get the new battery really plugged in. I tested again. Good it came to life again. Now get the back attached to the front and get it to clear the battery plug that was sticking out a smidgen? All the time trying really hard to remember I'm one day passed Christmas and not fall back into my normal cussing rage. At last I got her done. And - All is working! So I'm back in business.

Next disappointment was the charger that came with the Li-Ion. There' nothing to tell you its working while plugged into the back on the TX where the charge plug goes? I mean for that much money they can't put some kind of light so you know that it's working. After about 20 minutes I check the charger by feeling it. It was warm so I guess it's cooking?

Real disappointed with this purchase?

Jack
pjdog350 is offline Find More Posts by pjdog350
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM
Aimin at the ground an missing
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2014
193 Posts
I didn't know the dx6 was set up on aa's. All I've ever known are my dx7 and an old futaba attack4. Both of these radios have a 9.6v Nimh built in and charge from my a accucel 6 charger nicely. Yours sounds overly complicated imo. Is spectrum going backwards in design?
The Jackalope is online now Find More Posts by The Jackalope
Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,097 Posts
i strongly recommend asking on: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2089776
i bought my Dx6 earlier this month, and the guys on that thread helped me out A LOT. there is information there that is not even in the manual.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM
United States, FL, Hudson
Joined Apr 2013
857 Posts
Thanks for that cmdl . I thought for sure I broke it.

Just checked a minute ago and it was up to 7.3 volts so It's working well. Now that I know what to expect I'm feeling allot better about it.

I love my DX6. I guess it came as a four (4) 1.5 volt batteries cause it's the bottom of the line for upper Spektrum TX's. I love the TX. Big step forward from the DX6I. And in the beginning when I started again with RC a DX6I was all the budget would stand, Besides it came with the B400. Love that one too!

jack
pjdog350 is offline Find More Posts by pjdog350
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdog350 View Post
I mean for the last 74 years the red lead was always positive - Right?
Well it's not anymore. Then I checked the old 4-AA holder that came with my DX6. It was backwards however I started feeling better.

Jack
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat
Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM
Australia
Joined Dec 2004
174 Posts
I too have made the step from DX6i to DX6 and like you I have
found it chews through the AAs, so was thinking about the
rechargable leathery as well, so thanks this is helpful for me.

Just a question do you think your DX6 uses up AAs faster then
the DX6i, it maybe just my mind playing tricks but I am sure the
DX6 chews batteries way faster?!
Peter Phillipps is online now Find More Posts by Peter Phillipps
Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,097 Posts
for sure. mine also shows lower voltage numbers when i use the same batts from my Dx6i. that puppy is sucking on the amps with the backlit screen.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl