SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 21, 2013, 01:17 PM
Joined Feb 2013
82 Posts
Build Log
100" plank

After reading many of the threads I have decided to build a 100 inch plank with spoilers as a braking system. Seems that providing a braking/slowing down mechanism is somewhat difficult but some appear to have succesful. I have a 60 inch version which i am using as the basis
Andynrose is offline Find More Posts by Andynrose
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2013, 01:35 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,350 Posts
Nice!Got to ask- what's the airfoil?
And welcome to rcg!
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Jun 21, 2013, 02:54 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,303 Posts
Cool. For braking, could you not just build a 4 servo wing and use a crow configuration to slow down? Seems like that would be pretty straight forward to build, and with computer radios, it'd be easy to set up.
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Jun 21, 2013, 03:09 PM
Joined Feb 2013
82 Posts
Its HS 130 after reading this article. http://www.aerodesign.de/english/pro...le_s.htm#hs130
Old Jun 21, 2013, 03:12 PM
Joined Feb 2013
82 Posts
For braking - i am going to build it so I can have a 4 servo wing, or spoilers. So if one does not work try the other. Not decided 100% which way to go - crow seems to be very sensitive to set up in some cases, others say its fine.
Last edited by Andynrose; Jun 21, 2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 03:43 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,722 Posts
Nice looking model!!!

Here's a video of a JW plank with a four surface trailing edge setup.

JW test (0 min 44 sec)
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:17 PM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,260 Posts
a friend of Big Gas(the owner of the JW in the previous post' video) and mine has done a 96" JW
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784031
slopepilot is offline Find More Posts by slopepilot
Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:03 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andynrose View Post
For braking - i am going to build it so I can have a 4 servo wing, or spoilers. So if one does not work try the other. Not decided 100% which way to go - crow seems to be very sensitive to set up in some cases, others say its fine.
I'd guess it's just getting the balance right between the amount of up elevator and the amount of down flaps, seeing as planks are pretty sensitive to elevator changes. Still, I have to think you'd be able to get it to work after some fine tuning.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 06:30 PM
Joined Feb 2013
82 Posts
Thanks for the link. The four servo set up seems to give better flying with the independent elevator and aileron, as well as crow. Seems the right way to go.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:07 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,303 Posts
I imagine you could expirement with a number of control schemes. Full trailing edge mixing with the elevator and ailerons tied together as elevons. Partial mixing, where perhaps the elevator provides some roll control, but not as much as the ailerons, and the ailerons provide some pitch control but not as much as the elevators. Or totally seperate pitch and and roll control.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:53 PM
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
6,949 Posts
Any 6-ch F3F program would work if you mix in some snap flap that gives reflex on up elevator.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Jun 22, 2013, 08:48 AM
Joined Feb 2013
82 Posts
the AN 96 looks great. I have drawn up some plans but my build will be balsa and carbon.

I had seen the servoless spoilers on hobbyking, and wondering if anyone tried these or similar.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arch=servoless
Old Jun 22, 2013, 09:18 AM
Joined Feb 2013
82 Posts
The servos used in the AN 96 are very high torque. thats got me thinking what i might need. I have some spare Hitec 82 MG, but they are only a meagure 38.8 oz/in. is there a method of calculating torque required? I have found a calculator at the link below and just playing with it now.

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/calculators.htm
Old Jun 22, 2013, 03:15 PM
Pontypridd, Wales, UK
Joined Oct 2000
403 Posts
Quote:
After reading many of the threads I have decided to build a 100 inch plank with spoilers as a braking system. Seems that providing a braking/slowing down mechanism is somewhat difficult but some appear to have succesful. I have a 60 inch version which i am using as the basis
Wow!
I have built a couple of planks now and although I am proud of them I gotta admit yours takes it to another level.
I have always loved the overall "JW" and clones shape and the fact that yours is built up and (best of all for me) has transparent wing covering turns that shape into proper eye candy.
Ten out of ten and good luck with it's bigger sibling.

Clive.
Clive Henry Jones is offline Find More Posts by Clive Henry Jones
Old Jun 24, 2013, 02:36 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,985 Posts
Quote:
The servos used in the AN 96 are very high torque. thats got me thinking what i might need. I have some spare Hitec 82 MG, but they are only a meagure 38.8 oz/in. is there a method of calculating torque required? I have found a calculator at the link below and just playing with it now.

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/calculators.htm
How much torque you need will depend on AUW and speed. Is this going to be a high wing load, fast ship? In that case you'll need some fairly powerful digital wing servos. If it's a slower, more light wind ship then lower power analogs will be fine, though given HS-130 seems to require elevons rather than a central elevator you may want to go with digitals anyway; accurate centring on the elevator is critical on planks.
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Jun 25, 2013 at 02:52 PM.