HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:12 AM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,031 Posts
Very cool bike. Looks very proffesional. One thing I thought of while watching it run is, what do you use for brakes?? Front wheel I understand but did you rig up a disc on the back wheel?
edge_pilot is offline Find More Posts by edge_pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My 2 favorite everyday flyers!
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:25 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge_pilot View Post
Very cool bike. Looks very proffesional. One thing I thought of while watching it run is, what do you use for brakes?? Front wheel I understand but did you rig up a disc on the back wheel?
Thanks edge, the rear brake is a lever with a pad that gets pulled onto the side of the clutch bell to stop the spur gear, it works ok it will lock the wheel if you want it too but i do plan on fitting a MM450 front brake kit when i get a TX with 3rd CH mixing as well.
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
Last edited by Throttlejunkie; Apr 30, 2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:37 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragbikebam View Post
Chris is right, if the swing arm and lay shaft are the same shaft your bike will jack up topping the shock out under power.If you have an old TT shock laying around, they have a stiff spring under the piston you can use for that purpose...depending on how much sag you have it might add more or too much, if thats the case, thread a non-nylon (thin) nut on your shock shaft before the lower shock end and that will give you the ability to lengthen your shock for less sag if you desire..The main thing I like about the VMX/MM is that it does squat under power just like the real thing.
Thanks for the info mate, i don't have a TT shock so i am sort of lost as to what size or strength spring i would need.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:36 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,789 Posts
Yeah I love the front brake on the mm450, its so helpful.

If anyone is interested I have TJ's bike up with a few other photos and details I didnt see mentioned here on the website http://www.rcdirtbikeaction.com/832/...-atomik-mm450/
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old May 13, 2013, 08:12 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,816 Posts
I raised the swing arm slightly & changed the 3000wt diff oil to 70wt shock oil in the rear, i went from 30wt to 50wt in the steering damper took all the slop out of the swing arm & went from a 15t bell to a 13t & it has definitely improved the handling but it still needs work, i think the rear is now a touch too soft so i will try 80wt in the rear next & raise the swing arm a fraction more.
Nitro MM450 (10 min 57 sec)
Old May 13, 2013, 12:14 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,789 Posts
Thanks for sharing TJ! Looked like a nice day for rc.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:50 PM
Joined Mar 2007
29 Posts
I want one! lol. TJ great job.thank you for all your time and effort on stickers.i cant wait to get mine.
up on 1 is offline Find More Posts by up on 1
Old May 18, 2013, 03:29 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by up on 1 View Post
I want one! lol. TJ great job.thank you for all your time and effort on stickers.i cant wait to get mine.
Thanks Michael, your stickers are on the way, i look forward to seeing your bike done.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 04:58 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,816 Posts
Took the nitro out for a run on the weekend we through down some markers for something different, it still needs to be stiffer in the rear & was a bit of a handful handling wise, i did find out later at home while looking the bike over the servo horn screw on the steering had backed out & the horn was only half on the spline causing a large amount of play in the steering, but it was great fun just having something to race around just need to add some small jumps, i could get around there quicker & easier with my bikes than my trucks
Nitro MM450 (6 min 36 sec)
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:46 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,789 Posts
Hey TJ, great to see you and your bike back in action!

Is there any spot down the way near the track where you can incorporate a jump into the loop? Also, your using the arx shock? Maybe try plugging one of the piston holes and see if that helps.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 08:58 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,816 Posts
Yeah mate it was great to get out & give it a run, to me there is nothing better than the sound & smell of nitro in the morning lol.

There is a couple of spots we can throw down some jumps that is the plan eventually, i wish i owned the land i would build a big track there.

I am using the big bore shock in the bike, when i had it set up like my VMX with 3000 diff oil it seemed too stiff for this bike so i went to 70 shock oil (that was the heaviest i had) with the 1.3 piston & it felt too soft so then i tried 1.2 piston with the 70 shock oil it was better but still too soft, but i thought it better to start with a soft suspension & go up slowly rather than go from one extreme to another i just have to get some heavier shock oils to try & lock tight my servo horn screw in.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 01:04 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,702 Posts
Looking good Chris even with the steering problem. Nice slides. It'd be interesting to see how that bike compares around the course vs the electric. I lol at your mate with the truck, " it doesn't want to turn " try getting off the throttle haha .
chktm is offline Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More bike fun
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:50 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,816 Posts
Thanks mate, it was sliding nice out of that corner, i don't think there would be a lot of difference in the nitro & electric in speed around there if i could get the nitro to be as smooth as the electric suspension wise.
Yea the trucks tend to push in the turns if you don't get off the throttle, the bike just lays over nice & you can just pin it all the way around he had no chance around the big sweeper at the back i would leave him in my dust or grass lol.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 03:05 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie View Post
Thanks mate, it was sliding nice out of that corner, i don't think there would be a lot of difference in the nitro & electric in speed around there if i could get the nitro to be as smooth as the electric suspension wise.
Yea the trucks tend to push in the turns if you don't get off the throttle, the bike just lays over nice & you can just pin it all the way around he had no chance around the big sweeper at the back i would leave him in my dust or grass lol.
Hopefully you'll get the suspension how you want it. I don't know how many times I've heard that, " I can't get the truck to turn " while keeping the throttle buried lol . Did you make that corner out the back a bit more open and slightly further out or is it just the smaller track markers making it look like that? It gets through there well .
chktm is offline Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More bike fun
Old Jul 17, 2013, 05:18 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
Hopefully you'll get the suspension how you want it. I don't know how many times I've heard that, " I can't get the truck to turn " while keeping the throttle buried lol . Did you make that corner out the back a bit more open and slightly further out or is it just the smaller track markers making it look like that? It gets through there well .
Yea we did open it up & moved it a bit further out than before, i am pretty amazed at how good the bikes are on the dirt compared to the trucks, that dirt is like ice with my truck & it is out of control but the bikes hook up well on it.