PhoenixFlyer
South Florida
Joined Dec 2006
218 Posts
Discussion
Bridi deception

Kit NIB 140908867707 the bay
PhoenixFlyer is offline Find More Posts by PhoenixFlyer
Last edited by PhoenixFlyer; Jan 23, 2013 at 03:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:02 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,927 Posts
Crank,

good one!

Personally though, I feel that going with a fresh set of cores and canopy from Scott is a better way to go. One can source lighter wood these days and build up a Deception fuse without much difficulty as several have shown us on the forums. I bought one of these kits a while back and while they are nice for their nostalgic value, I'm not so sure I would have wanted to use the wood in the kit to build the fuse. I understand that some of the kit cores were also questionable. One can easily shave off a pound from the original fuse design and kit wood.

Just my 2c worth.

David

PS I hope Scott approves!
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:41 PM
USA, TN, Knoxville
Joined Oct 2004
372 Posts
Yes he does..
patternpilot1 is online now Find More Posts by patternpilot1
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:24 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
347 Posts
and here I went to all that work......
Kevin2035 is offline Find More Posts by Kevin2035
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:47 AM
Joined Dec 2009
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2035 View Post
and here I went to all that work......
Kevin,

The fuse looks great. This is a very rock solid flyer. I know from experience. The plane pictured on the kit label was my airplane and a great flyer. The plane I built was scratch built. Jim Kimbro and I cut the cores and I got all the wood from Joe Bridi. Wow, what a name dropper. This plane was a little different than what eventually ended up in the kit as far as design. The fuse had a single full length top block the vertical fin was solid wood as well as the engine enclosure and canopy. The canopy did take some time. The header to pipe area was concealed purely for looks and Jim at the time felt that a barn door design aileron lead to a more precise feel. The wing cores were sheeted all the way to the trailing edge. Then the ailerons were cut out capped and essentially foam cores with long torque rods. This was right before the dual aileron servos came to be. This plane served me well during the 78' or 79' pattern season. I crashed the plane I believe 10 days before I was to compete at the Masters Tournament in Ohio. I was on a fifth or sixth practice flight at the now closed Mile Square Park in Fountain Valley, California. We found what we thought were dead batteries to be the culprit. It was only until I crashed a borrowed UFO a couple of days later that it was a bad RX charger. I ended up flying an OPS powered Dirty Birdy in the competition and I did not fare well. It was a fun and exciting time.

Marty W.
wittsend is offline Find More Posts by wittsend
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:23 PM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Joined May 2006
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittsend View Post
Kevin,

The fuse looks great. This is a very rock solid flyer. I know from experience. The plane pictured on the kit label was my airplane and a great flyer. The plane I built was scratch built. Jim Kimbro and I cut the cores and I got all the wood from Joe Bridi. Wow, what a name dropper. This plane was a little different than what eventually ended up in the kit as far as design. The fuse had a single full length top block the vertical fin was solid wood as well as the engine enclosure and canopy. The canopy did take some time. The header to pipe area was concealed purely for looks and Jim at the time felt that a barn door design aileron lead to a more precise feel. The wing cores were sheeted all the way to the trailing edge. Then the ailerons were cut out capped and essentially foam cores with long torque rods. This was right before the dual aileron servos came to be. This plane served me well during the 78' or 79' pattern season. I crashed the plane I believe 10 days before I was to compete at the Masters Tournament in Ohio. I was on a fifth or sixth practice flight at the now closed Mile Square Park in Fountain Valley, California. We found what we thought were dead batteries to be the culprit. It was only until I crashed a borrowed UFO a couple of days later that it was a bad RX charger. I ended up flying an OPS powered Dirty Birdy in the competition and I did not fare well. It was a fun and exciting time.

Marty W.
Marty,

Thanks for chiming in. Are you still in So Cal? Kevin and I cut our teeth and learned to fly pattern at Mile Square in the early 80's. We may have met you.

The Deception to me always means Dave Wilson. He had ugly Deceptions (always with barn door ailerons) but he was the best pilot I have ever seen fly. We all spent hours trimming; Dave just flew the plane straight.

If you are still around it would be great to have you join us at one of our So Cal Classic Pattern events. Even if just to shoot the breeze.

Thanks for the story. Dont be a stranger.

Doug
Fatherof4 is offline Find More Posts by Fatherof4
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:54 PM
Joined Dec 2009
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherof4 View Post
Marty,

Thanks for chiming in. Are you still in So Cal? Kevin and I cut our teeth and learned to fly pattern at Mile Square in the early 80's. We may have met you.

The Deception to me always means Dave Wilson. He had ugly Deceptions (always with barn door ailerons) but he was the best pilot I have ever seen fly. We all spent hours trimming; Dave just flew the plane straight.

If you are still around it would be great to have you join us at one of our So Cal Classic Pattern events. Even if just to shoot the breeze.

Thanks for the story. Dont be a stranger.

Doug
Doug,

Born and raised in SoCal I am still here. I am not actively flying right now but I still attend the AMA convention and have membership. I am also a member of the SGVRCL (Whittier Narrows). Great hobby, ever since 69' when I recieved a PT-19 Cox U/C, the thought of flying any type of model is often. I used to fly with Dave, great guy, and your right can you imagine if he had a straight one. Do you have a schedule of Classic Pattern Events for the region? If so please post.

Marty
wittsend is offline Find More Posts by wittsend
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:09 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
347 Posts
OMG.... hehe I had the same U control....
Here is a Pic of Dave.... 2002 ish
Last edited by Kevin2035; Jan 26, 2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:27 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
347 Posts
Here is a pic of the cores... they are 'feather cut" Kimbro style.
I am on the fence on the barndoors.....but it has all the circa 80's mile square park mods.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:56 AM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Joined May 2006
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittsend View Post
Doug,

Born and raised in SoCal I am still here. I am not actively flying right now but I still attend the AMA convention and have membership. I am also a member of the SGVRCL (Whittier Narrows). Great hobby, ever since 69' when I recieved a PT-19 Cox U/C, the thought of flying any type of model is often. I used to fly with Dave, great guy, and your right can you imagine if he had a straight one. Do you have a schedule of Classic Pattern Events for the region? If so please post.

Marty
Marty,

If you are like me a couple of years ago when I found this forum; welcome home.

Here is the CPA contest schedule:

2/10/2013 Lancaster CA.

7/13/2013 - Lancaster CA. *** New date

11/10/2013 Lancaster CA.

Also, Robert (Vertigo II) puts on a Classic Pattern Get-Together in May that is a blast. Look for the thread for the 2011 and 2012 events at Camarillo.

I am actually planning to fly up at Whittier Narrows in the next couple of weeks. I will be in that area for business and want to fly there again. It has been well over 20 years. Send me a PM if you want to join me. I'll even bring a plane for you to fly. We need to get you back in the air again!

Doug
Fatherof4 is offline Find More Posts by Fatherof4
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:04 AM
Jim Johns
United States, AL, Dutton
Joined Jan 2013
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFlyer View Post
Kit NIB 140908867707 the bay
It didn't sell, so he relisted it for $308!!!!
ReelDoc is offline Find More Posts by ReelDoc