Ireland, Dublin
Joined Apr 2010
176 Posts
ya its rated for 5a max Bob...

This is what I plan on using..

Sorry camera phone is dirt !!!

Pretty beefy at 5a ...
3d addict is offline Find More Posts by 3d addict
Last edited by 3d addict; Oct 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:09 PM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
613 Posts
You can make a nice light mount out of balsa and soak with thin ca, light and cheap! A lot of awesome planes used this method. My Vandal did and it worked well!

Brandon
1900 Driver is offline Find More Posts by 1900 Driver
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:10 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLGjunkyard View Post
Vertical grain balsa wrapped in carbon fibre [glass would also be suitable]
I went from parkflyers, like the slow stick, right into DLGs, and so far, they've all been used, and mostly ready to fly.

What is the benefit of the vertical grain over any other?

Is it sufficient to glue (laminate style) a few thicker pieces of balsa to create the necessary hunk of vertical grain, or do you have to get a single thick chunk of wood?
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:24 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
I went from parkflyers, like the slow stick, right into DLGs, and so far, they've all been used, and mostly ready to fly.

What is the benefit of the vertical grain over any other?

Is it sufficient to glue (laminate style) a few thicker pieces of balsa to create the necessary hunk of vertical grain, or do you have to get a single thick chunk of wood?
Imagine a deck of card laying on a table top. then imagine a deck stood on end. The later will not split and render your glue joint useless and will also take a compression load much better. Its not important how the piece is constructed so long as the grain has the proper orientation.
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:39 AM
But will it fly ??
Ireland, Dublin
Joined Apr 2010
176 Posts
While looking through drawings and pics of wing mounts I noticed a few manufacturers glass there wing saddle balsa mounts against the bottom of the wing !!
I think this is to keep the wing seated nice and flush with the saddle, But what kind of incidences are usually used and how do they factor that in ??

Lets say with flat bottomed airfoils for eg... they are usually mounted with no incidence because they generate lift at neutral angles of attack.
But in the case of popular dlg airfoils like undercambered and the semi symmetrical
ones.. Different story altogether am I correct ?

I just picked up on it really after having a look around and watching a few build videos.. Looks difficult getting everything in unison and fitted tight ..
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:39 AM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,748 Posts
Incidence will depend on the design but you might find that a lot of guys like to have removable horizontals because they have the added benefit of being able to be shimmed to fine tune incidence

Im not sure if this is the correct term but I like to do what I call: pot the wing.

I will first stick packing tape to the underside of the wing to act as a release agent then I will mix up a batch of very dry microballoons and epoxy, I then put a dab of the mix on the wing saddle and place the wing on until the epoxy cures. Once cured , remove and peel the packing tape of the wing and you will have a perfect fit.

You can see it here stuck to the fuse. I mixed a bit of graphite in as well just for cosmetics
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:28 AM
But will it fly ??
Ireland, Dublin
Joined Apr 2010
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLGjunkyard View Post

Im not sure if this is the correct term but I like to do what I call: pot the wing.

I will first stick packing tape to the underside of the wing to act as a release agent then I will mix up a batch of very dry microballoons and epoxy, I then put a dab of the mix on the wing saddle and place the wing on until the epoxy cures. Once cured , remove and peel the packing tape of the wing and you will have a perfect fit.

Exactly what Im talking about man... That looks like the best way to do it..
very simple but very effective by the looks of it.

Remember I mentioned about that Polymorph plastic earlier in the thread !!
Well I plan on using this to accomplish what you've done with regards the wing bolts.. I'm short a tap and die set so I wouldn't be able to tap my own threads in brass,, but what I have came up with is using the thermoplastic to set a couple formers in the fuse.. As the Thermo plastic dries I can screw in my 3mm nylon bolts and let the thermoplastic set.. Then I can just unscrew the bolts from the plastic to get my threads. Where I sit with the concept at the moment is trying to figure out if I should incorporate the thermo formers into the balsa wing saddle and then just epoxy that to the fuse...sounds doable but messy...

Maybe a better solution would be to lay the saddle in the fuse and drill the holes to accept the bolts and then just fill them with thermoplastic and then screw in the threads.. Need to figure out how to hold the plastic in the bolt holes though because it will essentially just end up as a plastic plug that's tapped to take a thread...

Obviously they will be the only things holding down the wing.. So I need to come up with an effective way to keep them secure. Or else its all invalid

Edit... funny... I just realised that the nylon bolts have nuts with them... I feel so stupid now ;]
I think Im just obsessed with the thermoplastic and want to use if for everything ;]
Last edited by 3d addict; Oct 15, 2012 at 06:54 PM.