SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:33 AM
Australia, VIC, Frankston
Joined Jul 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveone View Post
I want to know why my kk multicopter board only powers up three of the four motors at 1/4 throttle and why I have to go full throttle to get the fourth motor to power up.
On my KK2 board one of my motor was stuttering until i got to 3/4 Throttle and was told it was a setting on the KK2, basically there's a setting for Min throttle that is default set to 10 by setting it to 20 it solved the issue immediately. I'm not sure if this will help you but here's the thread i made with a short video, there's only a handfull of replys but i got an answer.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1732076
CH33ZEBURG3R is offline Find More Posts by CH33ZEBURG3R
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:39 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,077 Posts
I have a noob question I couldn't get answered anywhere.
I've heard claims that video is more stable and running more efficient if you use long arms, large props, and 3s. However, I've heard the same said for 4s, short arms, small props. Im mainly interested in smooth gopro video in HD that wont require lots of post production. What's the truth?
Also, are tricopters as good as quads for video? A lot of people want to start cheap, thus the appeal of tricopters.
Thanks
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:49 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
I have a noob question I couldn't get answered anywhere.
I've heard claims that video is more stable and running more efficient if you use long arms, large props, and 3s. However, I've heard the same said for 4s, short arms, small props. Im mainly interested in smooth gopro video in HD that wont require lots of post production. What's the truth?
Also, are tricopters as good as quads for video? A lot of people want to start cheap, thus the appeal of tricopters.
Thanks
I don't think that there's a conclusive answer to your question. If you take the time to setup your copter properly and make every effort to reduce vibrations, you can get just about any combination to work for you. Having said that, just take a look at what the big boys use for professional AP work. A big machine will obviously not get knocked around in the wind as much in the wind, but it would be total overkill to have something like a cinestar to carry a GoPro.

In theory, spinning a larger prop slowly is more efficient than spinning a smaller prop fast. Just look at anyone who's achieved 50min flight times and they're all running low kv motors with large 15"+ props. At the same time, running higher voltage should also be more efficient, which is why so many people use 4s or 5s.

There's no reason that a tricopter can't be good for video, but obviously it won't have the same lifting capacity as a quad, hexa or octo. It's also slightly more tricky to mount a camera gimble on a tricoper, so only really good for fixed camera use. I also think that a tricopter feels more like an aircraft in flight, especially when yawing and I quite like that when I watch footage from a tricopter.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:39 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,077 Posts
Thanks LG.
Ambitious project idea by the way. Good luck.

I was asking because I see a lot of mid level MR for use with a gopro (such as TBSDiscovery) being introduced that are designed to run heavy on 4s with short arms and small props. These look more convenient and cooler. But long armed 3s large prop setups (like rcexplorers tri) may be more efficient and less jittery in video, all other things equal, not to mention cheaper? 2 very different builds, but I haven't seen any really smooth raw gopro footage from any of those small 4s setups, while I have seen lots from rcexplorers tri.
I was holding off on a replacement for my lost tricopter until I knew the answer.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Last edited by TheNiceGuy; Oct 02, 2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:40 AM
You Enjoy Myself
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Jul 2012
77 Posts
lovegroove, thanks so much for starting this thread!

As a noob, I'm apprehensive about posting new questions that seem like they might have been asked a lot on here before. I realize some regulars can get tired of seeing and answering the same old questions.

But in the defense of those asking questions, there is a wealth of knowledge on this board. It's just very hard to find the answers you're looking for sometimes.

I realize there are helpful threads dedicated to certain setups or MRs, but they don't answer everything about everything. I was trying to look something up last week and spent at least a half hour just trying to find the right answer. I shouldn't be made to feel bad about asking very typical questions because it takes most of my free time researching the answer and sometimes not even finding it. Sorry, my free time is limited. I would rather spend it being productive than using the search page for over an hour with nothing to show for it.

I'm very new to rc and mr. I've been grounded for the past few days after breaking an arm on my F450, but have only been flying it a week prior to that. I haven't recalibrated anything, but realize I will need to at some point.

How does one balance the motors?

When I opened the NAZA assistant with my quad attached, I noticed the indicator for my throttle was not exactly in the middle(exactly under the green arrow). It was a little off. Is this ok, or do all the controls need to be exactly under that green arrow? How do you set the arrows in the place you want? FYI, I had Tony finish my half build and setup my tx.

In lieu of direct answers, I'll take links and mention of page numbers where I can easily find this info.

Thanks!
cwg25 is offline Find More Posts by cwg25
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:01 AM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
Thanks LG.
Ambitious project idea by the way. Good luck.

I was asking because I see a lot of mid level MR for use with a gopro (such as TBSDiscovery) being introduced that are designed to run heavy on 4s with short arms and small props. These look more convenient and cooler. But long armed 3s large prop setups (like rcexplorers tri) may be more efficient and less jittery in video, all other things equal, not to mention cheaper? 2 very different builds, but I haven't seen any really smooth raw gopro footage from any of those small 4s setups, while I have seen lots from rcexplorers tri.
I was holding off on a replacement for my lost tricopter until I knew the answer.
Remember that these frames aren't designed for getting super smooth video, they're more funcopters for FPV.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Sep 2012
6 Posts
First, i would like to thank you for your idea of a noob-blog. An idea for a nice post would be to explain common acronyms.
toomc is offline Find More Posts by toomc
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:08 AM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
To cwg25: To balance a motor the easiest method is to use a zip-tie around the motor and then run the motor with no prop. You move the zip tie around to find the position where the motor is quietest and like that you can find out where you need to stick a bit of tape to balance the motor.

Here's a video showing how to do it:
balancing motor rotor and open your ears... (2 min 30 sec)

Are you talking about when you do the stick calibration? If so, it doesn't matter for the throttle as long as when the throttle is physically at zero it is zero on the assistant and likewise for maximum throttle.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:10 AM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomc View Post
First, i would like to thank you for your idea of a noob-blog. An idea for a nice post would be to explain common acronyms.
Thanks for the idea. I'll work on that when blogger starts working again because it won't let me post any new articles today for some reason.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:30 AM
You Enjoy Myself
Joined Jul 2012
77 Posts
Perfect video, exactly what I needed!

I'll test out the throttle calibration soon.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:47 PM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Blogger finally started working again, so I've been able to add part 2 of my multicopter guide.

http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr/2012/...lticopter.html

Once again, I stress that I'm not a super expert and people may well have other opinions. I'm quite happy to listen to other suggestions and change my article accordingly.

Cheers,

Lg
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:08 PM
You Enjoy Myself
Joined Jul 2012
77 Posts
Looking forward to the camera gimbal stuff. That's the next big addition to my quad.

Which ones have the most potential to minimize vibrations the best? Does one usually need to add vibration dampeners or isolators to these gimbals? Or do they, when put together and attached to a multirotor, work pretty much without any additional tweaking?

I assume higher end ones need less fiddling with and provide decent to excellent stabilization out of the box. Am I off base here?

I'm buying a GoPro Hero 2 soon.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:26 PM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Vibrations you have to sort out yourself by isolating the gimbal using some form of vibration dampeners. After that, what separates a good gimbal from a bad gimbal usually comes down to the quality of the servos used more than anything else. Servos with poor resolution and slow response times will produce bad results no matter how good the design of the gimbal is. for example, the very best gimbals are using direct drive brushless motors that cost several hundred dollars each.

I've been following the progress of the ECILOP stabilization system and that definitely seems to be a better way forward and I wouldn't be surprised if we see a load of new designs using the same principle flooding the market in the next few months. There's already 2 other frames that I know of that use the same system and no doubt many more that I don't.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:07 PM
Joined Sep 2012
50 Posts
DJI F550 Build...Noobie Questions...

Moved.
tedpretty is offline Find More Posts by tedpretty
Last edited by tedpretty; Oct 02, 2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:30 PM
Ireland, Dublin
Joined Nov 2010
150 Posts
[QUOTE=liveone;22876405]I want to know why my kk multicopter board only powers up three of the four motors at 1/4 throttle and why I have to go full throttle to get the fourth motor to power up.[/QUO
I had the same problem with my build , im using a kk2 board , maybe these will help
1 calabrate all your esc s one by one using a programme card

2 change the values on your stick scaling

worked for me

best of luck
skejah1063 is offline Find More Posts by skejah1063