New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by LukeZ, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 17, 2015, 02:47 AM
Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,977 Posts
Brian 245 - you will not be disappointed: my Ivan's Auster is still flying (even after certain "incidents") and gives me great pleasure with its ability to fly really slowly. I made a few mods to take it away from Aiglet to AOP status, but otherwise it's all Ivan.

BTW, you should see him throw his Aiglet round the sky!

Mike
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2015, 02:22 PM
Find More Posts by LukeZ
Joined May 2001
2,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb View Post
With Ivan's permission, Paul Bradley took Ivan's plans and designed a new frame for it to fit in. A realy 'tab and slot' construction with pre cut sheeting and everything. The only extra wood needed was a couple of 3/16" sq sticks.

Except for the canopy it is a really simple build. One of these days I'll make a plug for Sparky to work with.
Wow! I had not known that. I'm pretty out of it these days. That's great to hear. The Chipmunk is a great flying model with lots of capability and I personally think it looks gorgeous.

The canopy is indeed the tough part and if you got Sparky to make one that would be great. I went through all manner of travails getting one made for my model. I built a plug but it was so big most small-time vacuum forming guys couldn't work with it. I finally got a guy with a rig large enough to do it but I don't remember what happened to the plug after, it might have been destroyed in the process. Anyway I don't have it anymore.

Keep us posted on the kit! And thank you to Mr. Bradley. If he wants to stay busy I'm sure the Ivan community would lobby him for many more.
LukeZ is offline Find More Posts by LukeZ
Old May 17, 2015, 02:26 PM
Find More Posts by LukeZ
Joined May 2001
2,984 Posts
Brian, your Auster looks great. Having flown Ivan's original, I can pretty much assure you, if you have ever flown any RC whatsoever you will find the Auster easier! Still, it never hurts to have support present for any maiden.

Let us know how it goes!
Old May 17, 2015, 02:39 PM
Find More Posts by eye4wings
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,593 Posts
Way back there was an outfit called Skyway models who did a plan pack and canopy for the Chipmunk. I think it was probably about 52" span - seemed big at the time... small now.
I don't what became of that.

My own Auster was a T7 - back when brushed motors and Nicads were all we had. All those batteries on the floor meant that although it would happily enter a bank it was a job to come out of it . Centrifugal force took over! Had to sling them up under the wing to cure it.

Robin
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Last edited by eye4wings; May 17, 2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old May 18, 2015, 03:36 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,977 Posts
I know Trevor used a commercial canopy for his Chipmunk, and very smart it looked too. Perhaps he can say which one it was?
Old May 18, 2015, 05:20 AM
Find More Posts by Trevorh
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
2,062 Posts
My Chippie uses a canopy from Syd King's mould. It's slightly oversize so the fus needs to be built a bit wider than on the plan. Whichever canopy you use, it is a good idea to have it to hand before starting work on the fuselage. Luke's experience brought that lesson home to me!

If you want to use the Syd King mould, just let me know and I will look up the details for you (the mould is held by a UK vacform supplier).
Trevorh is offline Find More Posts by Trevorh
Old May 18, 2015, 08:44 AM
Find More Posts by portablevcb
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,383 Posts
Since the fuse shape is fixed now I think I'll make a plug for Sparky to use. If I ever get that far I'll make up the kit as a complete one, with wire, canopy and such.

It also just so happens that I had my Eagle Tree recorder in the plane for the last 4 flights. So, GPS speed was recorded. Takeoffs happened at about 25mph. Landings at 30mph flaps up, 20mph flaps down. Top speed was around 65mph. I was usually cruising around 40mph.

Plane hit the wire at about 25mph

Suppo 2826/4 motor, 3s5000, and an Xoar11x7 prop.

Here is the build thread.

charlie
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2074739
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old May 18, 2015, 10:01 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb View Post
Plane hit the wire at about 25mph
Here's the thing Luke:

Charlie's built an Ivan's model and flown it, so his picture should really go in the Hall of Fame. No no, don't wait for a rebuild, he may never get round to it and I doubt whether his pilot was properly insured* so let's have the Hall of Fame updated.

*You know it makes sense to have full SPNOKA cover. You too could hit a 3cm wire with your 40 cm model.
Old May 18, 2015, 10:08 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,383 Posts
ROFLMAO.

Thanks Mike, I knew I could count on you. Unfortunately for SPNOKA, the pilot is just fine. A few bruises from the seat belts but he walked away (actually he stayed in the cockpit as I carried the plane away).

You are correct, it may be a year before I can get it back in flying condition. All these people keep wanting me to send them kits and I still have a day job on top of that.

charlie
Old May 19, 2015, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by LukeZ
Joined May 2001
2,984 Posts
What! We have a Hall of Fame now? How is a fellow supposed to remember all this stuff...

But Mike I agree with you completely. Charlie, you now have the distinction of being the only person with a crashed airplane in the Hall of Fame. What I should have said earlier, is welcome to the Ivan club. We're happy to have any of the New Mexic-ians with us, the longer the hair the better!

Edit: Charlie, I don't see the Chippy on your site yet, but let us know when it becomes available, and I'll add the info to the beginning of this thread. In the meantime I've put a link to your and RG's build thread.
Last edited by LukeZ; May 19, 2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old May 19, 2015, 12:32 PM
Find More Posts by nickchud
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
4,072 Posts
Quote:
the only person with a crashed airplane in the Hall of Fame
Hah! only one?

nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Old May 19, 2015, 05:19 PM
Find More Posts by LukeZ
Joined May 2001
2,984 Posts
Well, what I mean is, he's the only one whose picture in the Hall of Fame is of the crashed model! (I think.)
Old May 19, 2015, 10:44 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,383 Posts
Luke,

Thanks, and Chippy is honored, even if broken.

charlie