New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2015, 08:55 PM
Find More Posts by IllusionX
Joined May 2015
17 Posts
Build Log
IllusionX's off-road builds

New member here, from Montreal, QC.

I have been playing with RC cars since my young age, but have stopped since i graduated high school.

about 10 years ago, i bought an X-Mod, but a year later RadioShack was replaced by the famous The Source by Circuit City, so I was never able to do anything with it.

Fastforward today, I bought myself a WLToys A959. I did 2 runs with it and unfortunately sort of broke it. It flipped and bent a dogbone. So my journey starts here, with tons of upgrade to come! Looking forward all you guy's suggestion and comments
IllusionX is offline Find More Posts by IllusionX
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2015, 08:03 AM
Find More Posts by Jym73
French basher since 1973
France, Brittany, Ploemeur
Joined Dec 2014
500 Posts
Hi,

It seem that they put a too long dog bone. Even bent it is deep inside diff. out drive (i guess it is also deep inside wheel's axle cup). Try to find a shorter dog bone.
Jym73 is online now Find More Posts by Jym73
Old May 20, 2015, 08:32 AM
Joined May 2015
17 Posts
It does look like very deep inside, but there is a bit of play when i shake it in and out. I will look into this.
I bought 4 replacement dogbone and axle cup for the A959. That axle cup is also bent.

Right now, the rear is completely disassembled as i am waiting for new heavy wt shock oil and all the alloy suspension parts to arrive. The shocks came with almost no oil inside, and would bottom out just by dropping it from 10cm high.

Anybody know what shocks would fit? I haven't found a definite answer on this.
Old May 20, 2015, 08:41 AM
Find More Posts by Jym73
French basher since 1973
Joined Dec 2014
500 Posts
Quote:
It does look like very deep inside, but there is a bit of play when i shake it in and out
What is important is when damper is totaly compressed dog bone should not be blocked between the 2 cups and it should have little play.

What is the damper's lenght? With lenght you can find damper who can fit.
Old May 20, 2015, 09:24 AM
Joined May 2015
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jym73 View Post
What is important is when damper is totaly compressed dog bone should not be blocked between the 2 cups and it should have little play.

What is the damper's lenght? With lenght you can find damper who can fit.
No it's not blocked when fully compressed, i've tested when i was looking into shocks. Some people said 60+mm shocks would raise the car a bit and the dog bone would rub on the axle cups when fully extended.

I don't remember the length of the originals, i think they were 55mm, i'll have to measure them again.

I am thinking getting 2 sets, a shorter set for lower center of gravity for on-road use, and another set for off-road/bashing.
Old May 20, 2015, 09:39 AM
Find More Posts by Jym73
French basher since 1973
Joined Dec 2014
500 Posts
A too long shock can be shorten by puting a rubber tube on the damper's axle inside the body. But need a not too long damper to doesn't have too long damper's body.

Yeah racing sell this one, 55mm :

Name: $_12.JPG
Views: 1
Size: 58.2 KB
Description: Name: yeahracing-dsg-shock-gear-series-4.jpg
Views: 3
Size: 44.4 KB
Description:
Name: yeahracing-dsg-shock-gear-series-5.jpg
Views: 2
Size: 32.5 KB
Description: Name: yeahracing-dsg-shock-gear-series-6.jpg
Views: 1
Size: 35.6 KB
Description:
With tons of parts to adjust them. They sell same with 60mm lenght.

Basicaly it is for on road tc car. Yours seems more long.

I have bought those but longer than 60mm: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Model-Car...item5af3e4b036

Need to change oil (500~600cst) because oil inside of this cheap dampers are very bad. But after have rebuilt them it do the job and don't leak. Nice for 1/10 or smaller cars.
Last edited by Jym73; May 20, 2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old May 20, 2015, 02:30 PM
Joined May 2015
17 Posts
I just think the on-road shocks might not have enough travel. I guess i'll pass by a hobby shop see what they have in stock.