Old May 03, 2015, 11:16 PM
Find More Posts by North_of_49
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
8,760 Posts
New Product
HobbyZone Sportsman S+ (SAFE PLUS) BNF-RTF

Sportsman is back (minus the 'Glasair" in the name) with some cool features. Note the "plus" after the "S" (S meaning SAFE technology), so, SAFE+

HobbyZone Sportsman S+ ( comes in BNF and RTF). Due Early July, 2015

http://www.hobbyzonerc.com/Products/...ProdID=HBZ8400
http://www.hobbyzonerc.com/Products/...ProdId=HBZ8480

Key Features
  • AutoLand actively assists with landing with minimal to no pilot input
  • Instant flight recovery with Panic Recovery mode
  • Beginner, Intermediate, and Experienced modes make learning to fly easy
  • Holding Pattern returns aircraft to a fixed point and flies in a pattern
  • Virtual Fence keeps aircraft within a comfortable flying range
  • HD Camera ready with an E-flite® EFC™-721 camera mount included
  • 4-Channel aircraft with working throttle, rudder, elevator, and aileron
  • 1300mAh 3S 11.1V Li-Po battery for long flight times on a single charge
  • Impact-resistant, durable Z-Foam™ construction
  • Tricycle landing gear provides easier handling on the ground
  • Compatible with any full-range Spektrum™ 2.4GHz DSMX® transmitter

HobbyZone Sportsman S+ RTF & BNF (4 min 10 sec)

HobbyZone Sportsman S+ - Autoland (0 min 51 sec)

HobbyZone Sportsman S+ - Holding Pattern (0 min 56 sec)

HobbyZone Sportsman S+ - Virtual Fence (0 min 55 sec)

HobbyZone Sportsman S+ - AS3X (0 min 42 sec)
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; May 03, 2015 at 11:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2015, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by HGhost
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
2,270 Posts
It does look interesting...I like the idea of FENCE...seems in my smaller area, that could be a handy addition, IF it actually works.

I thought about the Sportsman a few years back..BUT, did not like some reviews , so I stayed away from it

This maybe a future consideration at some point.

EDIT:

I decided to Pre-order ( Post # 70 )....First time i ever pre-ordered a plane..hope it does not come back to bite me.
HGhost is offline Find More Posts by HGhost
Last edited by HGhost; May 20, 2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old May 04, 2015, 10:04 PM
Find More Posts by Rain1dog
United States, LA, Kenner
Joined Sep 2014
947 Posts
O man why o why did I log back into these forums before I get a job from being laid off 2 weeks ago... I want to buy...
Rain1dog is offline Find More Posts by Rain1dog
Old May 04, 2015, 10:12 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
8,760 Posts
I own the original HZ Glasair Sportsman. It was my second plane after the Champ and 1st 4-channel. I converted it to taildragger (like can be done with the full scale) with Bushwheels before I even flew it. I really like how it flies, as any others who posted in the 2 main threads for it seemed to.

I haven't even flown it since I added slotted flaps and put it on Flyzone Beaver floats (true to scale)... time to dig it out and get it back in the air I'd like to get my hands on the new SAFE+ receiver... maybe not so much for the Sportsman (which I've never crashed, knock on wood, if you don't count putting it into a tree twice), but for my Parkzone Sport Cub (which I crashed twice in the same day)

I also got rid of the blue windows and made them dark gray and glass-like... much more scale looking. Interesting that they made them black this time
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; May 06, 2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old May 04, 2015, 10:20 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
2,270 Posts
That taildragger set up would be Nice

I assume the Tri-Gear may have some issues in grass fields ?

I like the technology they have posted with it....that in itself is something to look into.
Old May 04, 2015, 10:27 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
8,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGhost View Post
That taildragger set up would be Nice

I assume the Tri-Gear may have some issues in grass fields ?

I like the technology they have posted with it....that in itself is something to look into.
I'd have to revisit the threads, but the nose gear music wire was an issue, I seem to remember suggesting bending a new gear wire with a heavier gauge like I did for my taildragger conversion, which I think some did successfully.

Yup, I edited my previous post, would love to get my hands on the new technology as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2015, 11:05 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
2,270 Posts
I just sunk some major Dollars into some quad equipment....

Kick myself wishing i had seen this first.....

will have to find some extra Green in the months to come....that tech, has me very interested .

Seems that always happens to me ...few Days late and allot of dollars short
Old May 05, 2015, 12:07 AM
Find More Posts by ricktrcg
Joined Aug 2007
4 Posts
Any one know what receiver is in the Sportsman S+

It says that they have added GPS, is it built in to the receiver?
ricktrcg is offline Find More Posts by ricktrcg
Old May 05, 2015, 04:40 AM
Find More Posts by arttoch
United States, MN, Kasson
Joined Oct 2008
41 Posts
Looks like the best SAFE so far.
arttoch is offline Find More Posts by arttoch
Old May 05, 2015, 01:21 PM
Find More Posts by dacaur
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
10,284 Posts
yea, definetly interested to know more about the GPS... From what I gatherd watching the video, "panic" is no longer on channel 6, its just switch to beginner and let go of the sticks, it looks like GPS uses ch 6 now, and what it does depends on throttle position.... Kinda screws up my stagility mixes, but the GPS is definitely worth it....

I wonder if the virtual fence distance is adjustable... so many questions, Cant wait to find the manual to learn some more.

would be cool to put that RX in my funcub if its all in one unit...
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old May 05, 2015, 01:55 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
2,270 Posts
I am guessing it will be some sort of AR636 programmed to have all that in it......something a customer could do, IF they were allowed to do so.

After E-Flite and SAFE Rx being placed in every airframe ....I assume HH/Spektrum that said "You can't program SAFE into the AR636..( but they have )......etc etc "

They are fixing it so YOU have to BUY the plane to get the Technology......at some point I dare say they will not sell these SAFE-Special -Rx's at all.

But I am just speculating and assuming.......I have no real clue.
Old May 06, 2015, 10:26 AM
Find More Posts by CrashTest84
Horizon Hobby Employee
Joined May 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGhost View Post
I am guessing it will be some sort of AR636 programmed to have all that in it......something a customer could do, IF they were allowed to do so.

After E-Flite and SAFE Rx being placed in every airframe ....I assume HH/Spektrum that said "You can't program SAFE into the AR636..( but they have )......etc etc "

They are fixing it so YOU have to BUY the plane to get the Technology......at some point I dare say they will not sell these SAFE-Special -Rx's at all.

But I am just speculating and assuming.......I have no real clue.
We will have replacement receivers available for the Sportsman S+. And *cough* we won't be asking for your Sportsman S+ receipt if you try to buy one *cough* *cough*

That being said, we will offer zero support for any non-recommended application of that receiver. To be completely clear, the ONLY recommended application of the Sportsman S+ replacement receiver is the Sportsman S+. ANY other use is strictly and entirely at your own risk. Which I'm sure isn't shocking to any of you, but it's important to note in case somebody stumbles on this thread later.

We do not have plans to stop offering replacement receivers at this time. And honestly, I think not offering a replacement receiver is rather against our DNA, so short of making any promises, it's my personal (i.e. NOT professional) opinion that you don't have anything to worry about there.

The AR636 doesn't have the guts to support SAFE Plus software. The SAFE Plus receiver is a physically different animal.

The dimensions of the Virtual Fence cannot be changed, although I'm guessing you guys already noticed that we have two settings (Park & Airfield). If you don't like the GPS limits and you want to turn it off, you can disable the GPS but doing so will also kill the other features that require GPS which include AutoLand and Holding Pattern. You'd still have basic SAFE (envelope limits, Panic Recovery, AS3X). GPS cannot be deactivated/reactivated while in flight so if you decide to turn off GPS, you'll want to be sure you can stick the landing without Autoland.

As a side note, if you happen to see Mike McConville at Joe Nall next week, make sure you stop and pester him about the Sportsman S+. Developing this level of technology while keeping it product beginner friendly is not an easy task and he did a pretty slick job.
CrashTest84 is offline Find More Posts by CrashTest84
Old May 06, 2015, 11:13 AM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
2,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTest84 View Post
We will have replacement receivers available for the Sportsman S+. And *cough* we won't be asking for your Sportsman S+ receipt if you try to buy one *cough* *cough*

That being said, we will offer zero support for any non-recommended application of that receiver. To be completely clear, the ONLY recommended application of the Sportsman S+ replacement receiver is the Sportsman S+. ANY other use is strictly and entirely at your own risk. Which I'm sure isn't shocking to any of you, but it's important to note in case somebody stumbles on this thread later.

We do not have plans to stop offering replacement receivers at this time. And honestly, I think not offering a replacement receiver is rather against our DNA, so short of making any promises, it's my personal (i.e. NOT professional) opinion that you don't have anything to worry about there.

The AR636 doesn't have the guts to support SAFE Plus software. The SAFE Plus receiver is a physically different animal.

The dimensions of the Virtual Fence cannot be changed, although I'm guessing you guys already noticed that we have two settings (Park & Airfield). If you don't like the GPS limits and you want to turn it off, you can disable the GPS but doing so will also kill the other features that require GPS which include AutoLand and Holding Pattern. You'd still have basic SAFE (envelope limits, Panic Recovery, AS3X). GPS cannot be deactivated/reactivated while in flight so if you decide to turn off GPS, you'll want to be sure you can stick the landing without Autoland.

As a side note, if you happen to see Mike McConville at Joe Nall next week, make sure you stop and pester him about the Sportsman S+. Developing this level of technology while keeping it product beginner friendly is not an easy task and he did a pretty slick job.
So that is like this WARNING :

IMPORTANT: The included AR636 receiver has been
programmed for operation specifically in this aircraft.
The programming in this receiver cannot be changed
by the user. ( insert from SAFE Corsair manual )

Of course not...you will just double the price and give the SAME Receiver a different program and tell every one it is new, ......

like the old airframe you stuck it in...*cough* *cough*
Old May 06, 2015, 12:11 PM
Find More Posts by dacaur
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
10,284 Posts
I don't believe they tried to pass of the corsair S as a new airframe. Just like the apprentice S, and now this model, they took a popular, nice flying plane, and added features to it, and then sold it at or very near the same price they sold it at without safe....

Do you expect them to come up with a brand new airframe for this new technology? why? IMO, its better to "stick it in an old (read: proven) airframe" so that past and present parts will interchange. Its win-win.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old May 06, 2015, 12:59 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
8,760 Posts
CrashTest84,

thanks for posting.
RCG Plus Member