SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:02 AM
Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
The high desert of Southern California
Joined Jul 2002
1,285 Posts
Discussion
Looking at Starting again.

I have been looking at my helicopters hanging on the wall for a long time now. They are old but are flyable. I have a bent RC-Tek Diablo hanging there I cannot get parts for. Was a good helicopter in its day. Next to it is a MX400SX looking all pretty after being cleaned up. She is ready to go too. I just need to charge a battery.

I did fly my Cypher yesterday. Talk about rusty. More like my fingers were welded together. I was able to do a pretty good hover and was not to freaked out, but I have lost a lot of what I was doing.

I figure I will fly what I have until they take a dirt nap. So I am looking at a new 450 sized I can get parts for. I was looking at the Copter X SE with a FB. I can take everything out of my Diablo and drop in it. I have everything here so it would be a simple swap.

Also looking at the newer helicopters out there with all the new gizmachies. Just not sure what brand, model, supplier to go with.

I am no 3D master so just cruising around is more my style. I am happy if I take off, fly the battery pack and land in one piece. I sort of feel like a noob again.

Buzz.
blvdbuzzard is online now Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:17 PM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
11,384 Posts
Good luck with come back. Much has changed in helis etc. Micros are more popular but bigger is better. All newer birds are FBL.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:22 PM
Find More Posts by 2Doggs
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
5,666 Posts
Cheap

yeah, lots of things have changed - but the good news is, lots of things have gotten really cheap! You can use $8 digital servos that work really well, a great ESC for $20, and even an FBL controller for less than $25! A decent motor might run to $12.....

There's an element of fashion in helis. These days, people want to run 6s power systems in their 450's, and stretch them to run 360mm blades - so you might be able to pick up an old, used 3s 450 that has 325 blades for less than the price of a clone.

Clone 450 airframes start at around $50 or so, and if you already have a TX, you can get a new 450 in the air for less than $200 including three battery packs.

I even read a post recently of a guy buying a (new) Hausler 450 RTF, a 450 Pro clone, including the TX, but without batteries, for $65 shipped! Happy days!
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:11 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
11,384 Posts
Check with Local RC club and see if they have swap meets/ contests. alot of good deals turn up. Fly-bared helis are cheap. Even kits/ RC gear isn't bad.
I bought a very nice JR Forza kit complete with FBL unit for $300.00/ Plus picked up JR XG6 for $30.00.
Decent used birds can go for $150.00/ $200.00. Some less/ some more. Some clones as low as $100.00. Be careful if you get a never finished heli. Many times built by a noob with no idea what they have.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:38 PM
Find More Posts by Sky_Dancer
Eatonton Ga. United States
Joined Sep 2004
1,578 Posts
It's changed....

Speaking as someone who has jumped in and out of the hobby before, it has changed quite a bit since the last time I was around. Multirotors seem to be all the rage now and there doesn't seem to be as much interest in the 450 size heli as there used to be. At least not kits and assembling all the pieces yourself from various manufacturers. Everything seems to be geared toward buying everything in one box. As has already been pointed out, there seems to be a push towards stretching the original 450 size to longer lengths.
That being said, I was able to get a Tarot 450 Pro V2 that is an bare airframe at a good price just before Christmas.
Sky_Dancer is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Dancer
Old Feb 20, 2015, 02:05 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
11,384 Posts
Quads are big hot item now. Tech is there and alot you can do with stable platform. I'm not into that Jive. Flyers are what I like and flying them. Not auto pilot or bail out jobs. there are tons of 450's out there.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 03:09 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Quads are big hot item now. Tech is there and alot you can do with stable platform. I'm not into that Jive. Flyers are what I like and flying them. Not auto pilot or bail out jobs. there are tons of 450's out there.
Yeah, I bought a small one from Tower just to see what all the hoopla was about. It bores me to tears. Thinking about selling it off now and cutting my losses.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 08:44 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,285 Posts
Well I have (5) 8 plus channel radios, (20) plus EXI 9g digi metal gear servos, (12) gyros, (4) GOOD gyros, bunch of ESC's 8amp to 120 amp, (8) 2200 3s batteries, (3) flyable 450's right now. I just don't think I can get parts for them or if I did, it would be complete heads, tails and so on, so may as well get a newer helicopter.

I would love to go 550 size but that is out of my budget right now. Was looking at the HK 450's, just dont want to order parts for it from China.

Align is pricey, but parts are every where. Was looking at the copterx but have not found a USA based store to order parts for it. Tarot is about the same, seems stock is down or out. Saw the Blades 500 for cheap, but wonder if they are dropping it from the line?

I flew my OLD really OLD Heli Max MX450SX today. Just as I remember it, smooth, soft on the controls, easy to hover. Just don't want to wad it up in a ball.

Saw some things at WOW Hobbies but went WOW when I read about them. Sounds like Banana hobbies.

Buzz.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 09:31 PM
Find More Posts by 2Doggs
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
5,666 Posts
Value Hobby

Value Hobby in the US carry loads of 450 and 500 parts. You could easily get those 450's flying very economically.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:52 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Value Hobby in the US carry loads of 450 and 500 parts. You could easily get those 450's flying very economically.
That's where I got my Tarot Pro V2 just before Christmas. Still sitting in the box though. I'm content to fly my SE clone with a belt tail right now. Still worry over how easy it is to tear the gears out of a Torque Tube tail. Alex has always done right by me so I try to buy there when I can. Didn't really realize he carried a lot of parts though. Now I do!
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:14 AM
Joined Jul 2002
1,285 Posts
I am such the SOB. I have been working on my brother to get flying helicopters again. He is close to getting one too.

I may just stick with the old FB helicopters for a while. I see they are budget priced and still a lot of parts out there. Plus I have all the stuff on hand except the airframes. Oder a new airframe and I will be in business.

I saw the blade 550 for a super cheap price. Are they dropping them?

http://www.amain.com/blade-550-x-pro...no-esc/p260455

I would love to have one this size, but if there will be no parts in 6 to 12 months, not worth it.

Buzz.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 04:38 PM
Find More Posts by jombo
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,543 Posts
I think value hobbies is all flybarless now , HobbyKing USA warehouse is your best bet for a 450 flybar . I still fly mine and have a few kits , still in the box ,I got dirt cheap because they were flybar .
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Feb 21, 2015, 08:15 PM
Find More Posts by Tovin
Joined Aug 2011
336 Posts
I had seen lot of new pilot go for FBL for their first Heli. It is nothing wrong with it as technology advances with lots of electronics aided flight function for the new pilot. The pilot pick up fast then usual of the old flybar helicopter. That little electronics device aided the flight with much stable control & easy for all of us. However the new pilots are so used to that little controller that without it they will crash in certain maneuver as their basic of manual pilot skill are not being polish in the beginning. One thing for sure, if you are good in flybar, the FBL controller will push your pilot skill further. For that reason I still keep 2 heli as flybar system to continue/maintaining my pilot skill. As a result what I can do with FBL, also same as flybar. It is different mind game to train your brain reflex.
Tovin is online now Find More Posts by Tovin
Last edited by Tovin; Feb 21, 2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:11 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,285 Posts
I have read that the old FB system are old, out dated, dont waste your money and so on. I most likely have exacto knife blades older then these people have been flying I have planes that are 30 plus years old and still flyable. I may order a couple HK clones because they are cheap. If you can fly with the old stuff, you can fly with the new stuff.

I learned how to fly helicopters with a Nexus and a Raptorv1. I still have the Futaba 401 with matching servo in my Raptor. Been reading about doing a cheap o E conversion on it.

Buzz.