New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:38 PM
Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
8,116 Posts
Discussion
EPO 64mm F-22 from Starmax NOW W/ FLIGHT VIDEO!!!!!!

edited
SkylineFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Last edited by SkylineFlyer; May 27, 2014 at 11:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:08 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
8,116 Posts
Parts review

Alright RC enthusiasts, lets go over the parts. So far this jet is looking promising.

I did note that you will only need 3 servos. 1 for steering and 2 for (you guessed it) the ailerons and elevators to all share. I'm sure someone will come along and show us how to add seperate servos for the elevators.

The plane is made of EPO foam which is great. The battery compartment is accessible from the top of the plane which seems to be becoming the norm, which is a great thing. No more fliping a plane upside down to insert a new battery at the field. No more broken vertical stabs! Very cool. The manual recommends a 3s 1300mAh lipo. However in the spirit of things, we will be testing out a 4s 2200mAh 45c-90c in it. Cross your fingers!

Another neat thing about this plane is it comes with optional landing gear. If you choose to use it, you will get the awesome option of a steerable nose wheel.

Enough talking already....
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by ChrisG23
Joined Sep 2010
254 Posts
Let us know how the 4s works out. -Chris
ChrisG23 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisG23
Last edited by ChrisG23; Jan 11, 2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Question answered
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:48 PM
Find More Posts by FLYGUY24/7
Joined Jan 2010
752 Posts
Coming

4s is the way to go on this motor she will scream
FLYGUY24/7 is offline Find More Posts by FLYGUY24/7
Last edited by FLYGUY24/7; Jan 11, 2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:05 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
8,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG23 View Post
Let us know how the 4s works out. -Chris
Will do Chris. I'm really hoping that the 4s isn't to heavy. Either way the motor/fan combo will operate with either a 3 or 4s lipo. So worst case scenerio, I'll have to move to a 3s.

Any suggestions?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:09 PM
Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,206 Posts
Cuz hahahahaha...hear ya on the manual !!!!!....that blank paper is very important!!!!
Good vid man.....

I have to give Starmax credit for how they individually pack all the parts and how nicely its protected in that heavy anti crush foam container. Then packed in another box..

That finish is shhwweet looking, thats cool how it changes shades according to how the light hits it...
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:45 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
8,116 Posts
The paint job has to be one of the purtiest ones I've seen. Every time I get an EPO foamy, I fall more in love with them.

Honestly, doing that video scared the #@$# out of me. I was like, crap, its probably going to be damaged just due to the outer box. But the interior box was completely unharmed, let alone the contents. LOL.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:54 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2,206 Posts
Every SM kit ive gotten so far has been undamaged due to there packing jobs..nice!!!.. also every one of them has come with that pack of hinges, i guess there for the rudder, if you want to change the way they have them hinged, so far ive been happy with the factory hinge jobs...DJ
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:02 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
8,116 Posts
Good to know. Have you noticed though that even though the elevators and ailerons are hinged, that they still have a little notch almost like SM is telling us that we have that option? Thats pretty awesome that they do that. Maybe FlyFly could learn from them. Who knows!
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:03 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
8,116 Posts
Upgrades to make this an extreme setup

Alright, so were are going to roll with a Sapac 64 fan with a black tornado 4800kv 4s motor. In addition to that we will be using a ZTW 85A ESC and an external 5A BEC. And finally just 3 servos.
Last edited by SkylineFlyer; Jan 14, 2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:14 PM
Find More Posts by ChrisG23
Joined Sep 2010
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
Will do Chris. I'm really hoping that the 4s isn't to heavy. Either way the motor/fan combo will operate with either a 3 or 4s lipo. So worst case scenerio, I'll have to move to a 3s.

Any suggestions?
I think it will be fie on 4s, F-22's are relatively floaty airframes, and may benefit from a little extra battery weight.
ChrisG23 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisG23
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:18 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
8,116 Posts
I think I'm almost doubling the weight of the lipo. I'll need to take some weight measurements here shortly.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:28 AM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
8,116 Posts
Fan Fitment

64mm isn't always 64mm? Well maybe the inner diameter is, but for some reason the Sapac 64mm doesn't fit without a little modification. I got this tip from a member here when I first joined up on RCG, so this tip is definitely not one of my own. But it works great!

But before we get to that tip, you need to decide if your going to keep or cut the tabs on the Sapac shroud. I decided to keep them as this will keep the shroud from rotating and moving about while in operation.

First, take your Sapac shroud and line it up where its going to go in the airframe. Now, firmly push down and leave the imprint of the tab into the foam. Remove the shroud and carefully cut out the imprint. You may even take some small needlenose pliers and carefully pluck out each foam cell until that area is clear. Test fit..... It looks like it fits fine now, right? Nope, when you try to attach the fan compartment door, you'll note that there is a gap. You'll need to do the same on that part and remove the necessary foam. Almost there. Test fit again. You'll now notice that there is still a gap that needs to be removed from between the two halves.

Grab yourself some 80 or 120 grit sandpaper. Find a container that fits just inside of the fan bay. Wrap the container with the sand paper. You just made a sanding drum. Go ahead and rotate the container and start sanding some of the foam until you get a nice uniform fit. You don't want to do all the sanding in just one area. You'll want to do it 360* in the entire motor bay. If your not quite understanding it, hopefully my pictures will explain it a little better.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:40 AM
Joined Jan 2009
2,206 Posts
SLF, looking good man.....