HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Secraft Spektrum DX9 Transmitter Tray

Hold your radio securely and look good doing it

Splash

Beautiful Tray for the DX9

Secraft is well known for designing elegant transmitter trays and now they have created a new tray designed to hold the Spektrum DX9 radio. The minimalist design not only looks beautiful, but adds real functionality that we can appreciate. Most trays only work for finger and thumb flyers. This one however, works for both finger and thumb flyers and for thumbs only pilots as well. Another great feature is that there are no fasteners to mess with. Just slide the radio into the the tray and you're ready to go. The radio can be removed in seconds to pack it up in your transmitter case. It's super convenient! It's $94 and comes in Blue, Red and Black and is available at Esprit Model.

Learn more about the Secraft DX9 Transmitter Tray.

Discussion

Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:38 AM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,580 Posts
What material is the tray made out of?
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:39 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
27,009 Posts
I'm not too fond of the metal retainer right next to the one antenna like that.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:54 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
25,504 Posts
Looks like unless the model is below the tray that antenna is almost useless.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,953 Posts
I do have and did use occasionally a tray -mine is made from Lucite.
now for glider guiding-- I use a integrated tray/radio
for flying - a neck strap
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Sep 18, 2014, 01:00 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

Andy
Yeah that's what I was getting at - my guess would be the whole thing is aluminum, so that antenna in the handle would be pretty much neutralized.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 01:02 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,580 Posts
Ah yes, it is aluminum:
http://www.secraft.net/shop/step1.ph...20110111064239
Old Sep 18, 2014, 01:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2014
294 Posts
it's overpriced too.
solimon is offline Find More Posts by solimon
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 18, 2014, 02:14 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,580 Posts
Esprit does sell one that won't mess with the antenna:
http://www.espritmodel.com/transmitt...universal.aspx

I tried that with my DX8, but I couldn't quite seem to get it to the angle I like the tx at. With the DX18g2 plus one of the little balancer thingies I get exactly what I want using just a strap.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:28 AM
espritmodel.com
Joined May 2010
2,080 Posts
We have sold hundreds of trays and they have no effect on transmitters. If there is a problem with piece of aluminum, Spektrum is not saying something.

Zb/Esprit Model
Esprit Model is online now Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:29 AM
espritmodel.com
Joined May 2010
2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

Andy
Is there something we do not know? No other manufacturers have problems.

Zb/Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:41 AM
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model View Post

Zb/Esprit Model
The DX9 and DX18g2 have a second antenna in the handle on the back. That's the diversity antenna - it's oriented 90 degrees from the antenna sticking out the top. It's never good to put chunks of metal right up against an antenna.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:55 AM
Spektrum Dev Team
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Apr 2002
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
The DX9 and DX18g2 have a second antenna in the handle on the back. That's the diversity antenna - it's oriented 90 degrees from the antenna sticking out the top. It's never good to put chunks of metal right up against an antenna.
This is correct, the DX9 has an antenna in the handle, as does the DX18 (first and second generation)

I agree with Andy. Covering the antenna with metal will likely prevent the antenna in the handle from working correctly.
aaronredbaron is offline Find More Posts by aaronredbaron
Old Sep 19, 2014, 02:09 PM
espritmodel.com
Joined May 2010
2,080 Posts
One would assume that human body composed of 50% -65% of water is much bigger problem. So far nobody that we know had any problems with strip of aluminum.

I personally had nothing but tray for almost 30 years of flying.

Zb/Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 19, 2014, 03:00 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
27,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model View Post
Yes, obviously there is.

By mounting a conductive sheet against the antenna (that handle is an antenna) you are distorting the radiation pattern dramatically. It is also blocking the line-of-sight to the model for that antenna in the handle. In other words, you're hammering the usefulness and expected performance of that antenna.

If you have an antenna in the traditional location only, a sheet of aluminum will have far less effect, especially at the long wavelengths you are accustomed to. 72MHz or 35MHz systems have a very long wavelength that is not going to be affected as much by a piece of metal near the base, as the short wavelength of a 2.4gHz system mounted above and across the handle antenna.

It is irresponsible to be comparing your decades of MHz systems to your very few years of 2.4gHz experience in order to correlate RF performance.

Quote:
One would assume that human body composed of 50% -65% of water is much bigger problem. So far nobody that we know had any problems with strip of aluminum.
A person's lack of knowledge on a subject does not change the laws of physics.

Yes, a human body DOES affect transmission, but by absorption rather than by reflection. That effect is already addressed by the design of the transmitter, and there are laws regarding proximity which are part of the product design.

You can see this effect by putting a transmitter in range test, having the model near the limit of range, and then turning yourself around or covering the antenna with your hand. This is actually a pretty easy way to do it - I've done it myself when testing operation of our telemetry system here. Try it sometime, you'll see.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor