HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2004, 01:14 AM
Joined Sep 2001
54 Posts
Help!
Removing GWS EDF-55 motor

Tonight I dismantled my new GWS EDF-55 150 to investigate the upgrade potential. In the process of dismantling the EDF, I attempted to remove the motor from its housing (after the removing the mounting screws of course). The motor appears to be held in place by more than the mounting screws. It would not budge, so I tried to twist the motor from the duct housing. Bad move!

Two of the motor tube duct fins snapped and that was the end of the duct.

I assume the stock EDF-55 motor is adhered to the outer motor housing by more than just the mounting screws (glue or really tight fit)? Has anyone else encountered this?

In hindsight, I figure there are better ways to remove the motor, but I am still curious if other’s have experienced a similar problem while removing the stock motor from the EDF-55 duct housing.
nbrophy is offline Find More Posts by nbrophy
Last edited by nbrophy; May 08, 2004 at 01:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2004, 02:43 AM
Al_
West Bend, Wisconsin, United States
Joined May 2004
121 Posts
Although I don't know for sure... The unit may have been assembled when it was still warm out of the press. As the shroud cooled, it tightened onto the motor. I've seen this method used many times before.
Al_ is offline Find More Posts by Al_
Old May 08, 2004, 05:11 AM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,925 Posts
i'm actually surprised you managed to get the fan adapter off of the motor shaft!, i have 2 55-300H's sitting
useless till i can work out how to remove the adapters from the 300 motors without damage. but the motors
came loose when i removed the screws.

phil
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
Old May 08, 2004, 08:14 AM
Uh Oh Jungo
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2003
772 Posts
The problem is the ridges on the S300 shaft. They bite into the alum. adapter and requires an awful lot of force to dislodge.

Let me know if you guys figure out a way of doing it. I'm looking for a source of parts for these units so that I can buy the stator, fan and adapter separately .

Jeff
ParkJeff is offline Find More Posts by ParkJeff
Old May 09, 2004, 05:16 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
i destroyed a fan blade and adaptor removing them. the motor on the other hand came away easily. nippon dave has the adaptors and blades in stock.
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old May 09, 2004, 06:37 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
Ahaaa,
Its not just me!
The only way I have been able to perform this was to push off the fan from its alum. shaft, then take out the set screws. Now what I did was use an x-acto #11 knife to cut along the circumference of the adapter and free it from the housing. The down side was that the hole that centers the motor is now larger but the holes for the motor screws are still intact. That adapter is pressed on and sticks very well on the shaft of the motor. If you file off the splines on the shaft while spinning it at low rpm it will true off the splines back to the normal shaft dia.
As for the motor sticking whithout screws, I dont know what to say. I took apart the 55's and a 65 and the motors dont stick. Maybe they used a hot melt glue typical of oversea production or a contact cement as well. Try a little alcohol to help break the bond of the glue. Then try a little alcohol to get over the waste of a couple of EDF's!!
Anyway, try it see what you think.
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old May 09, 2004, 09:24 PM
Joined Feb 2004
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy|Harry
i'm actually surprised you managed to get the fan adapter off of the motor shaft!

phil
Same here. Those adapters are on there! You have to destroy the motor (so what), but it's doable.

Never had the motor(s) stick in their housings.

Kurt
Fishnut is offline Find More Posts by Fishnut
Old May 10, 2004, 03:40 AM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,925 Posts
i finally used C of G's suggestion (thanks ) of removing the motor by cutting out the inner circle so the motor and
adapter could come out of the shroud and then i used a claw hammer to prise off the adapter, i had no use for the
300 motors but the 2mm shafts will find a good home

phil
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
Old May 11, 2004, 01:49 PM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,462 Posts
On my edf-55-300Hs,
I just used two regular flat screw drivers on either side of the fan and pushed it off the adapter. I then pulled both set screws and used a large pair of line-mans pliers to grab the flats of the adapter and pulled. It took alot of effort but the adapter came straight off the shaft. I then pulled the motor screws and pushed out the motor from the front, again with the two screw drivers.

Mike
CryHavoc is offline Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Old May 11, 2004, 11:43 PM
Joined Sep 2001
54 Posts
More EDF-55 Pics and some Measurements

Since I have my EDF-55 apart, I figured would take pics and measurements to share with others.

I would really like to see if a gobrushless's motor could be retrofitted into the EDF-55. I am currently limited to the brushed motor and esc world, but I bet someone could find some use in these pics and measurement and run with it.

The gobrushless 20mm stator and can look just about a perfect fit inside the EDF-55 rotor housing. The ID of the rotor housing is 25.3mm and the OD of the 20mm can is 23.94mm. The adapter inset depth is 7mm and the 20mm can "height" (thickness or length?) is 7.33mm (but the rotor could easily be modified to allow the can and stator to sit deeper in the rotor). All that needs to be figure out is the best shaft, bearing housing ,and firewall mounting method. But it looks like a promising start.

Later,
Nathan
Old May 30, 2004, 09:46 PM
Joined Sep 2001
54 Posts
I figured a better way to remove the motor with out damaging the duct. I made a support mount that distributes the stress across the back of the duct while pushing the motor out through the front of the duct.

I used piece of wood that fit with in the duct and drilled a 15/16” hole for the motor slip through (see picture). I slipped the mount on to the back of the motor so that motor tube and duct fins rest directly on the mount surface. After removing the rotor and motor mount screws, I tapped the front of the motor with a pair of pliers to push the motor out through the back of the duct housing and support mount.

The mount needs to be small enough to fit with in the duct because there is a slight lip on back of the duct tube. If the mount is larger than the ID of the duct tube all the force will be focused where the duct fins meet the duct tube and the joint will likely snap.

I have had no problem removing the duct rotor. I loosen the grub screws and push the rotor off through the back of the duct. Be careful though, the back of the blades are flimsy and will bend and tear. The best way is try to fit two fingers through the back of the duct and gentle apply pressure to a couple of blades at once.

Hope this help anyone who ran into the same problem I had.

Later,
Nathan
Last edited by nbrophy; May 30, 2004 at 09:49 PM.
Old May 30, 2004, 10:42 PM
Joined Feb 2004
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy|Harry
i'm actually surprised you managed to get the fan adapter off of the motor shaft!, i
phil
Ditto on the adapter. I've never seen a motor stick in the tube before.

Kurt
Fishnut is offline Find More Posts by Fishnut