Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:08 PM
Kenai ,Alaska
Joined Aug 2010
108 Posts
Question
Touring car tires and tuning recommendations for low traction carpet

Hi
I race rc touring cars at a local track. I was wondering if there are any recommendations for tires for very low traction carpet? We cannot use traction compound on tires because we cannot mark the carpet. I have been using foam tires, 40 shore on the front and 32 shore on the back, and cleaning them with Simple Green cleaner between race nights.These have alright traction but still causes the car to almost spin out on most of the corners. I have also used HPI Super radial rubber tires. These also have aright traction as well but the car still spins out on the corners.
I was also wondering if there are any other adjustments that I can do to improve traction? The car I drive is an AE TC6.1. I moved the battery to the rear position and that really helped the handling.
I was also wondering what adjusting the castor does to the car?
Thanks
Tanner
tanner331 is offline Find More Posts by tanner331
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:58 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,399 Posts
Could be a matter of tweaking the car's setup, what car are we talking about?

Also could be driving style, if you go too fast, entering a corner, you are likely to spin, regardless of what tire you use.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:21 AM
Kenai ,Alaska
Joined Aug 2010
108 Posts
I use the Associated TC6.1.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:16 AM
Kenai ,Alaska
Joined Aug 2010
108 Posts
I don't think that it is my driving style because I am one of the slower cars on the track in the corners.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:20 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,815 Posts
On low traction surfaces you need to very slowly feed the power in. Getting on the power too soon or too hard will make you spin quite easily. You'll probably find you can enter a corner faster and delay getting on the gas by a bit and still be much quicker.

I'd ask the other guys what they're running for tires, but generally you want the softest foam you can get for slick carpet.

Caster does a couple things, more caster makes steering less twitchy around neutral and it also adds a bit of negative camber to the outside wheel as it turns.

I wouldn't mess with the suspension setup too much until you try adjusting your driving style, a car that only spins under power is typically driving style versus one that spins while coasting.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:59 AM
Joined Sep 2013
17 Posts
For rubber try to use PR Racing Slick 24 GX PRT with hard thin insert. For foam we use to run green all round or blue front green rear, and it seems to work quite well without using any source on the tire.
beamcat is offline Find More Posts by beamcat