Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:56 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Feb 2013
33 Posts
Discussion
From MSR X to micro CP, but which one?

Hey guys, I've been flying my msrx for few months now and I feel pretty confident with it, I can hoover in every direction, bank turn (still feel like I gotta improve the left turn but it is not bad).
Now I feel ready to move my first steps in the world of CP helis and I was thinking to get a MCPX BL, from what i read it seems a great little heli. What do you guys say?
Gian8 is offline Find More Posts by Gian8
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:43 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,413 Posts
I have the MCPx V2, which is a fine heli, unless you are into learning 3D. If not, the brushless version is overkill and needs taming down.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:39 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Feb 2013
33 Posts
Yeah I'd like to start to learn 3d. I know a mcpx v2 would be more than enough for 3d basics, but i saw many people who fly this heli upgrading to brushless, so i was considering to invest from start on the new BL
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:32 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,413 Posts
In that case, the brushless version should be fine for you. You will need a decent transmitter (DX6i, DX7 or better) if you don't have one already.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:56 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,139 Posts
I would take a look a the Nano CPX. It does not have the problems that the mCPX have while learning 3D. That are tail blowouts and motor getting bogged down. The mCPX BL is designed for all out 3D and has the highest power to weight ratio of any micro. This could prove very difficult to handle as a first CP.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:07 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian8 View Post
Hey guys, I've been flying my msrx for few months now and I feel pretty confident with it, I can hoover in every direction, bank turn (still feel like I gotta improve the left turn but it is not bad).
Now I feel ready to move my first steps in the world of CP helis and I was thinking to get a MCPX BL, from what i read it seems a great little heli. What do you guys say?
Read my suggestions about a micro CP here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1829340

If you can afford it, get the BL. Don't worry about there being too much power. You can tone it down at first but later on you will appreciate it. As you have noted, many people upgraded the mCPx V2 to BL because once you start flipping and rolling, the V2 had a lot of trouble with tail blow out. Its not a problem for hovering and non-inverted forward flight. However, you must have a programmable radio like DX6i or better to tone it down at first. Only fly it outdoors and only with plenty of space and over grass.
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:15 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Feb 2013
33 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys! I just got the mcpx bl delivered, wow it's an all completely different story from my msrx, I absolutely love it!
Thanks also to rhodesengr, I read your post and I found it really helpful. For sure I'll fly only outdoor, that thing is a little monster and I still need to improve a lot before feeling confident with it.
Do you guys know of any CP Heli beginners guide on the internet? I had a look for it on google but I couldn't find something good for me (a complete CP ignorant )
Also, is there any way to tame down the mcpx in order that when not in stunt mode, it behaves similarly to an FP?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:16 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Feb 2013
33 Posts
Ah yeah, forgot to mention, I do use DX6i
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:23 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,413 Posts
Flybarless Micro CP helis have their own unique characteristics, so information you find about training to fly CP helis usually applies to bigger helis and those with flybars. The only changes you can make to the MCPx to tame it down are to reduce negative pitch a lot and positive pitch a little, adjust end points and add some expo. You don't want to do anything that reduces head speed very much as that will effect the 3 axis gyro.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:37 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Feb 2013
33 Posts
Something weird is happening now, everything seems fine mechanically speaking, but when i give throttle a nasty vibration starts! The main shaft goes up and down and the heli makes a lot of noise, this happens without having had any sort of crash! Do you guys know what could it be? maybe some screw got loose????
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:42 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Feb 2013
33 Posts

solved! Sorry for the panic attack! :P the main gear needed to be pushed in...
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:55 AM
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
Quote:

solved! Sorry for the panic attack! :P the main gear needed to be pushed in...
Yes the main gear slips down on pretty much every crash. Always check it. There should be no play. If its even a little loose, you will have less up collective. Also, the little rotor links tend to fall off all the time. order extra. There are some tricks to keeping them on like tying with dental floss.

To tame it down, you should reserach mCPx beginner settings. But the idea is to lower the DR percent and reduce the amount of pitch. I started with 25% rates. here is one video on beginner settings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=g2bLLhM8_QA

Online lesson plans at rchelicopterfun.com and here
http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:51 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,815 Posts
My Mcp-x needed gear moved up as I was not getting positive pitch. I just recieved a second bird with longer boom and its fine. Anyway check that gear often.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:10 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Feb 2013
33 Posts
Just to let you know, I love this bird! Today I went to fly it at the park and I had a blast, at least until a gust of wind caught me resulting in a crash, well it is part of the hobby right?
The tail boom needs to be replaced, no biggie Do you reckon I can just replace it with a carbon rod?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:37 AM
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
Quote:
Just to let you know, I love this bird! Today I went to fly it at the park and I had a blast, at least until a gust of wind caught me resulting in a crash, well it is part of the hobby right?
The tail boom needs to be replaced, no biggie Do you reckon I can just replace it with a carbon rod?
you can but the actual part has flats on it so it registers in the right orientation. I tried making one once while I was waiting for the actual part to come. Decided it was not worth it just used the real part.

A lot of guys were extending the boom longer than stock to get more tail authority. The they came out with a real part that was a little longer. Then they came out with the BL which I have read has no tail weakness.

Try making one if you want but try to copy the flats at both ends.