HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:56 AM
St petersburg Florida
Joined Nov 2004
36 Posts
Discussion
Carl Goldberg SAILPLANE1940

just finished it ..has a hacker 30 outrunner and jeti 55 ESC..covered with ultracoat lite trans, red...hope to fly it this week
Grandstand is online now Find More Posts by Grandstand
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2011, 06:30 PM
Joined Oct 2002
47 Posts
Great looking model!!! May I aske from who's kit was this model builr from?

Keith
Keith Smith is offline Find More Posts by Keith Smith
Old Nov 01, 2011, 06:41 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,581 Posts
BEAUTIFUL ....

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Nov 01, 2011, 07:50 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,109 Posts
Beautifully done ,Carl would be proud of that.How long did it take you to build it?
doc993 is online now Find More Posts by doc993
Old Nov 01, 2011, 07:56 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,147 Posts
Beautiful plane.
This plane is on my build list. I'm almost exclusively into gliders but a couple of months ago I stumbled on this video. Since then I've been collecting photos in preperation for the build. Did you do a build thread on another forum?
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Nov 02, 2011, 02:19 PM
St petersburg Florida
Joined Nov 2004
36 Posts
goldberg sailplane

still windy in florida ..may-be tomorrow..anyway, it took me 5 months to build, and i kind of followed a web sight from Texas Guy is a super builder ..took him a year to build the same plane ..But I went all city building this one ,night after night ...It was from a print By Bob Hulman , Bought his lazor cut parts for a total of $120...Everything in the short kit fit nice ..plus,wood from balsa USA.... i refered back and forth to the web sight from Texas ..Cant remember his name ...Just ordered a folding prop and 78mm hub from Esprit Models ..as of now i must set the ESC brake and watch for a horizonal prop setting on landing ...put some white trim on like the original GOLDBERG model...will see ya tomorrow with more..Rich
Old Nov 02, 2011, 02:30 PM
St petersburg Florida
Joined Nov 2004
36 Posts
goldberg

guy from texas is Tandy Walker..sight is SAM chapter 15..you should find him there super bilder ...he covered his in silk ..but me, i went the modern route , four days covering in ultra lite trans. red..whith trim is from a vinal shop..will try and get it in the air tomorrow..Rich
Old Nov 03, 2011, 04:27 PM
St petersburg Florida
Joined Nov 2004
36 Posts
goldberg

could have put it in the sky today ...no wind..but had to do this ..got rid of 5oz, by moving the batt. forward..JUST LIKE I DO EVERYTHING ELSE,,,"TWICE"...Oh well..now rain tomorrow and i am ready..
Old Nov 04, 2011, 12:23 PM
St petersburg Florida
Joined Nov 2004
36 Posts
sailplane

just got this aero=naut 72mm prop hub from Esprit Models ..and folding prop ..fits perfect and should be the Hot set up...cant wait to fly it ..IM READY..Rich
Old Nov 04, 2011, 09:52 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstand View Post
just got this aero=naut 72mm prop hub from Esprit Models ..and folding prop ..fits perfect and should be the Hot set up...cant wait to fly it ..IM READY..Rich
Looks like it was made for it.
Are you planning to compete in SAM competitions? Is the folding prop legal for them?
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:37 PM
St petersburg Florida
Joined Nov 2004
36 Posts
sailplane

no comp.. Just a bunch of old guys i fly Elect., with at a socker field ...I dont know how good it would do in SAM ..but when i did do SAM in 1981..I kicked but with a lonzo record bracker ..seems like that is still the hot set-up today..And John , I just sold a Comet Sailplane to a guy in your back yard (NJ) ..go to sailplanes for sale and it is about the 4th page ...Rich
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:52 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
956 Posts
Absoluetly beautiful. I want one. That's to beautifull to fly.

What are it's dimensions?

I'm building an Oly III right now and I'm already thinking about what I'm going to build next.

Where can I get more information on it?

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Nov 05, 2011, 09:13 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2011
57 Posts
I like this plane but I'd also like to hear your thoughts on the Oly III. I've just returned to the hobby this year & used to fly a Buzzard Bombshell, and I may build another but the Oly III is interesting too.
cicopo is offline Find More Posts by cicopo
Old Nov 06, 2011, 10:43 AM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicopo View Post
I like this plane but I'd also like to hear your thoughts on the Oly III. I've just returned to the hobby this year & used to fly a Buzzard Bombshell, and I may build another but the Oly III is interesting too.
I just now started the build on the Oly III. I just got back into building and flying a couple years ago. I love building and flying. This is my biggest. 132" wing span,59" fuselage. I can't tell you about it's flight characteristics, because I haven't flow one yet. However I've watched one compete in a woody contest and I was very impressed.

I can tell you the kit from Skybench is first class. All the parts are laser cut and the wood is first class.

I really love the looks of the Oly III,and all the information I've read is all positive about the plane. There is all kinds of build info here in the Thermal section. Look at Woody Guys and their woody builds. A great build log for the Oly III. Also Planepainter did a great build log on the Oly III. Lots of good information on both,and lots of good pictures of the builds.
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Nov 06, 2011, 08:55 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2011
57 Posts
Thank You. All I really need to know was the quality of the kit because I've already read many good reports on Skybench & his products. I have a scratchbuilt Grand Esprit which is very close in span (built it in the early 80's & finally flew it this summer after converting it to electric power ). I think an Oly III is likely going to be one of my winter builds now that I'm back into the hobby. I'm much more a builder than flyer.
cicopo is offline Find More Posts by cicopo