Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:21 PM
Cottonwood Heights
Joined Jul 2005
168 Posts
This topic is helpful. ive been trying to figure out which kit to buy. I want the best kit for the money and price is a BIG factor. I also know from experience that I want a nicer plane about the minute I get the first in the air. Trying not to make that mistake here as investment is a big one for me.
thecirque is offline Find More Posts by thecirque
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:37 PM
Always Twirling for Freedom!
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecirque View Post
This topic is helpful. ive been trying to figure out which kit to buy. I want the best kit for the money and price is a BIG factor. I also know from experience that I want a nicer plane about the minute I get the first in the air. Trying not to make that mistake here as investment is a big one for me.
Who's the Cirque? I live in cottonwood heights too...
Extremeace is offline Find More Posts by Extremeace
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:43 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
2,977 Posts
Cirque,
I'll put in a plug for Taboo GT. A very competitive model. Constantly evolving and improving.

It will come down to how long you're willing to wait for a plane as well as how much you'll spend.

All those "one step up" models are very competitive, quality planes and you will be pleased with any one for a long time IMO.

If you're new to it, consider a used model. You will break stuff.

John
gopherhunter is online now Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:47 PM
Cottonwood Heights
Joined Jul 2005
168 Posts
Extremeace- I'm just a wanna be dlg-guy. I fly some rc but keep watchin' this DLG stuff and..... I want in. Trying to figure out how to most Effectively get there
I'd like to show up at one of your fly sessions and ask some questions.

---Mike
thecirque is offline Find More Posts by thecirque
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:19 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremeace View Post
Do I dare ask what order you'd put these in? Mike, Jeremy, Jim, boys? I understand you may each have different order. I'm just plotting and schemeing, this month looks good at work, and it's a BIG investment!
I won't even make the attempt. They are all excellent planes, well proven with many faithful followers. Each will give you the contest performance boost you are looking for. I'll take one of each, thank you!

I will confess only this - if I were buying one new mid-level model I would personally look longest and hardest at the B3. But only for one reason... VISIBILITY. I struggle seeing the dull tan KEVLAR colored bagged planes (Vandal, Taboo, Aradhana's line) at longer distances . I haven't flown one yet (hint hint Jeremy ), but have flown the B2 and watched the B3 fly. They all have features that make them great. I don't know how anything could fly nicer than my Vandal. But man I like those neon B3 colors!

On the other hand, if I were a serious competitor and had the money then I would step it up and get a second Stobel, or try a Concept X2. I have flown the Steig a bit (thanks Dave R!) and loved it too. It seems to launch the highest of anything I've thrown. I've seen the FW5 in person and it is simply gorgeous, and flies awesome. Bruce Davidson does tremendous things with the Sirius. Oleg kicks butt with the Taboo. Aradhana can compete with anybody with his line. Even the inexpensive Topsky and Predator fly great and can hold their own in the right hands... My best advice, just get whatever tickles your fancy the most, then fly it a lot. It won't be the last DLG you ever buy, I promise. I had more fun and learned the most with my first sub $200 beater than with any of the more expensive models that followed. Lots of extra dollars buy a bit more performance in the tougher conditions, if you are seeking that little extra edge in competition. They don't buy more fun.

Enough said?
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Dec 23, 2010, 01:26 AM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
Buying used is a good idea.

Buying new can make you nervous as they are gorgeous planes.

I along with Mike would like to own one of each and agree it won't be the last DLG you'll ever buy.

No matter where you start you'll want more: From Topsky TS1 on up. I'd say that model or price range is a good starting point and will make you feel like you are in a competitive position. Anything below that price range can be fun though and get you hooked. I've caught thermals with the Alula and the Elf. I know that many people like 1 meter minis or the balsa or foam build ups like the mountain models or the other 50 inch wings. They're a riot and fun to fly,but if you have a DL50 or Quickflick 2, you'll be super jealous when you finally fly with someone who has a Topsky TS1 or better. You'll feel like you're in a different league. But then again, once you get the competitive bug from flying in that arena - you'll soon want more... and more... and more. I'm sure for those who have a Stobel are dying for the next best thing to come...
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Last edited by flyingj; Dec 23, 2010 at 01:31 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 08:58 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,723 Posts
Yes..if possible go to one of the local contests and check out the planes in person..before buying.........
-Dave
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:15 AM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,906 Posts
Ummmmmmmmm made some progress on the Topsky last night. I kinda went another direction with it.

I would have had to put 2.5 oz in the nose to get her to balance, and that when I looked in my drawer of goodies and found this little gem.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM1205

She fits perfectly on the now shortened nose.

So to make room for a 3S 900 pack I had to take out the rudder servo. I still have an elevator though..... so that good.

Cut off the disaster of the peg mount.

The cg is now a little forward of the recommended cg, but I figure thats just fine.
The motor actually weighs less than the battery pack I was going to put in the nose anyways. With a little 10 amp esc and prop and battery I only added 1 ounce to the plane.

I am hoping to get home early enough tonight to sneak in a test flight @ AD before we go see family.

So we will see how a rudderless, PLG works.

Dont worry, all is not lost, I wont be doing combat with it.

Another benefit is I wont get blisters on my fingers. So I can fly it with out having to worry about those painful blisters everyone keeps talking about.

Stay tuned.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:42 AM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
2,977 Posts

SACRILEGE.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:46 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,994 Posts
I'm not biting on this one. He's just trying to ruffle some feathers. I've learned you can't ever take anything said by that Reb seriously.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:57 AM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
I'm not biting on this one. He's just trying to ruffle some feathers. I've learned you can't ever take anything said by that Reb seriously.
Youll be crying when I spec out on the first launch then
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:22 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,201 Posts
The first dead give away is that that motor is not from HobbyKing
Fishjunky is online now Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:21 AM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
2,977 Posts
And 2.5 oz nose weight... tail must be hewn from oak.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:50 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Youll be crying when I spec out on the first launch then
Proof is in the puddin' Jon. Until there are at least three witnesses (two of which must be Yanks) we won't believe you.
Fishjunky is online now Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Dec 23, 2010, 02:03 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,583 Posts
Yeah, not be outdone I've pulled this out of my Enigma and put into my B2... it was hell getting it to fit!

jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch