Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 19, 2010, 05:37 PM
Suspended Account
Alaska
Joined Feb 2010
326 Posts
Help!
Tx Battery Discharged

Argh!!! I left my Tx on overnight and discharged my battery. Is there anyway to get it to take a charge again?
Thanks.
Williwaw is offline Find More Posts by Williwaw
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2010, 05:48 PM
Chesterfield (St.Louis) MO
Joined Jan 2004
319 Posts
Use a slow charger - like the wall wart 50 mA charger that probably came with the transmitter. If it's a NiMh or NiCd pack (most likely) it will be fine.
dmcquinn is online now Find More Posts by dmcquinn
Old Oct 19, 2010, 05:52 PM
Suspended Account
Alaska
Joined Feb 2010
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcquinn View Post
Use a slow charger - like the wall wart 50 mA charger that probably came with the transmitter. If it's a NiMh or NiCd pack (most likely) it will be fine.
It's a Rhino 2620mAh 3S 11.1v Low-Discharge Transmitter Lipoly Pack. Would I really want to use the NiCd charger that came with my Tx on it...would that work?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 05:54 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,942 Posts
Time to shop for a new TX battery. There are ways to breathe some life back into lipolys but the damage is done. As TX power is so vital, I would never trust it again.

One of the reasons to stick with NiXX. LSD NiMH (Eneloops, etc.) have the long charge retention of lipolys but none of the headaches.

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2010, 05:56 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williwaw View Post
Would I really want to use the NiCd charger that came with my Tx on it...would that work?
Bad idea. If left plugged in for an extended period of time, overcharge and fire will ensue as NiXX chargers do not have proper termination of LiXX chemistry cells.

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2010, 06:12 PM
Chesterfield (St.Louis) MO
Joined Jan 2004
319 Posts
No, definitely not. I (incorrectly) assumed it was NiMh or NiCd. When you run down a LiPo, it is generally ruined.
dmcquinn is online now Find More Posts by dmcquinn
Old Oct 19, 2010, 06:15 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,632 Posts
Top of most Forums have Stickys which are often helpful if read.

Quote:
My battery is dead - HELP" info.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1074181

I agree that low self dischge NiMH cells are a much better choice and I use Sanyo Eneloops in my Transmitter.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 19, 2010, 06:40 PM
Suspended Account
Alaska
Joined Feb 2010
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Top of most Forums have Stickys which are often helpful if read.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1074181

I agree that low self dischge NiMH cells are a much better choice and I use Sanyo Eneloops in my Transmitter.
Oh, you mean the sticky thread that says, "My battery is dead - HELP info"....oops, I did not see that I did do a search though

Anyway, thanks for your help. I tried the NiMH method and it started to puff so I have come to terms with the "inevitable". Thanks again for your help all.