HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2014, 08:09 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,242 Posts
Nope, neither voice mod nor Frsky implementation is interesting enough for me.
The last thing I need when I have a toy in the air is someone talking with me.
That's one of the reasons why I do not take my wife to the field.
She could do that job with louder results and more annoying for less money invested.

The Taranis does my Frysky jobs, as I fly all models heavier than ~100gr only with an unmodded certified TX for insurance reasons. The 9x does not qualify as that after all these mods. Just in case .

-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2014, 09:21 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
1,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
That's one of the reasons why I do not take my wife to the field.
She could do that job with louder results and more annoying for less money invested.
Fortunate man to get a wife that costs you less than a Tx mod
mpjf01 is online now Find More Posts by mpjf01
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:21 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,351 Posts
I don't think I would lose my insurance because of flying with my modded 9x. It's the RF that matters and I can't mod it. Not the radio.
I think you could even build your own tx as long as you use a certified RF module. But never mind. You don't like when the tx speaks to you. I love when it tells me that if I don't land I will damage my battery and spend more money that I don't have..
Before the voice when we only had beeps I never knew which beep meant what so, each to our own I guess..
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:42 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
What about the stuff seen on Air Crash Investigation / Confidential
The classics:
- 'Bluuuurp, Bluuurp, Bluuurp' (or however you spell that sound!)
- 'Pull Up, Pull Up, Pull Up' - Even better when the plane is stalled - It's the last thing you want to be doing!
- and the great old 'stick shaker'!!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:20 PM
Australia, VIC, Mooroolbark
Joined Mar 2013
293 Posts
Bill, I suppose if you were inverted - that would be the correct call.... or... if you're down to the last 10 metres from the ground at some 300 knots.... I guess trying to get any speed from a dive would be a bit optimistic..... I'd go with the "pull up" in both those instances....

I'm surprised that a stall warning does not include "power on, power on".... as you mention, pulling up elevator on a stalled upright aeroplane is probably worthy also of pulling the co-pilot's ejector seat lever.... if that's the source of the command - you don't need "good" advice like that...... and you would be obeying instructions....... not applicable in a heli though......can't afford to lose any more rotors than is necessary.....

frats,
Rosco
rosco01 is offline Find More Posts by rosco01
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:47 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
I've never heard a stall warning say 'pull up'; only ever terrain proximity warnings.
If you're stalled and getting a terrain pull up warning at the same time, you killed yourself 30 seconds ago!

Power doesn't solve a stall; only reducing AoA can do that. Adding power on a low-engined aircraft can make the problem worse.

The stall warnings I've heard are either plain tones, or bitchin' Betty just saying "stall, stall" - never trying to tell you how to recover
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:05 AM
Australia, VIC, Mooroolbark
Joined Mar 2013
293 Posts
Roger..

frats,
Rosco
rosco01 is offline Find More Posts by rosco01
Old Jul 26, 2014, 04:17 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post
I've never heard a stall warning say 'pull up'; only ever terrain proximity warnings.
If you're stalled and getting a terrain pull up warning at the same time, you killed yourself 30 seconds ago!

Power doesn't solve a stall; only reducing AoA can do that. Adding power on a low-engined aircraft can make the problem worse.

The stall warnings I've heard are either plain tones, or bitchin' Betty just saying "stall, stall" - never trying to tell you how to recover

You are correct. I got my warnings mixed up.

I've never flown an airliner (as a job), however I do have a PVT Pilot licence with 500 hrs total.
(Endorsed on C152, C172,, C210 & Piper Arrow 5 with constant speed retractable)
But gave up when it all became too expensive and they closed down the local airfield down due to urban development
and the damned people buying houses there, who then start complaining about the airstrip that has (had) been there before they were born.

My instructor did take me for a ride in a 727 when he was doing his airline course.
That was fun, I even got a go at the controls!!

-B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Last edited by Fugitive_Bill; Jul 26, 2014 at 04:23 PM.