HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2014, 05:38 AM
The Shetland Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Lerwick
Joined Jun 2008
512 Posts
Hi All,

Yesterday I lost my prop, spinner and motor bell from my D2500. I was flying line of site and noticed the motor starting to slow down on the second climb. The third climb I heard the motor pulsing, and decided to do a low overhead pass with the motor running to see what was going on. As she passed I could clearly see the motor starting and stopping, then appearing to run normally. I went for a fourth climb and saw the spinner, prop (a nice Aeronaut Cam Carbon job) and what I thought was the entire motor departing as I throttled up

No problems bringing her back in, I had enough altitude to circle the field and land, but after an extensive search I could't find the motor bell and prop. The grass was about a foot high in the field and very dense, so it was like looking for a needle in a haystack! The grass will eventually be cut for silage so I doot it's a goner. I think the circlip at the rear must have failed, maybe corrosion after the swim in the sea but it was rinsed very well with fresh water.

I'm thinking of another stock motor (CenturyUK has them and the spinner) but may go for an aluminium turbo spinner instead. Can anyone tell me the size of the stock spinner? Also, it was a while ago when I ordered the replacement prop - I'm pretty sure it was 14" but canny mind the pitch - can someone remind me?

Cheers,

Rory
RoryG is online now Find More Posts by RoryG
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2014, 08:42 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
763 Posts
Info from my Arcus Sport:

. Prop: 14x8
. Spinner: 48mm
Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:12 PM
markemark
United Kingdom, Wales, Pontypridd
Joined Apr 2013
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryG View Post
Hi All,

Yesterday I lost my prop, spinner and motor bell from my D2500. I was flying line of site and noticed the motor starting to slow down on the second climb. The third climb I heard the motor pulsing, and decided to do a low overhead pass with the motor running to see what was going on. As she passed I could clearly see the motor starting and stopping, then appearing to run normally. I went for a fourth climb and saw the spinner, prop (a nice Aeronaut Cam Carbon job) and what I thought was the entire motor departing as I throttled up

No problems bringing her back in, I had enough altitude to circle the field and land, but after an extensive search I could't find the motor bell and prop. The grass was about a foot high in the field and very dense, so it was like looking for a needle in a haystack! The grass will eventually be cut for silage so I doot it's a goner. I think the circlip at the rear must have failed, maybe corrosion after the swim in the sea but it was rinsed very well with fresh water.

I'm thinking of another stock motor (CenturyUK has them and the spinner) but may go for an aluminium turbo spinner instead. Can anyone tell me the size of the stock spinner? Also, it was a while ago when I ordered the replacement prop - I'm pretty sure it was 14" but canny mind the pitch - can someone remind me?

Cheers,

Rory
Rory, saw a video quite some time back of a D2500 flying with the motor and prop dangling from the front of the aircraft. The glue holding the wood to the foam on which the motor is screwed into isn't the best.
I removed the wood and re glued mine securely as I could see that there was a good chance my motor was going to try to bail out in flight, touch wood I've been flying mine regularly for 16 months with only one slight problem to date, and that was a replacement wing following a mid air collision with another D2500.
markeMark is offline Find More Posts by markeMark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Mosquito
Old Jul 30, 2014, 08:54 AM
The Shetland Flyer
Joined Jun 2008
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke View Post
Info from my Arcus Sport:

. Prop: 14x8
. Spinner: 48mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeMark View Post
Rory, saw a video quite some time back of a D2500 flying with the motor and prop dangling from the front of the aircraft. The glue holding the wood to the foam on which the motor is screwed into isn't the best.
I removed the wood and re glued mine securely as I could see that there was a good chance my motor was going to try to bail out in flight, touch wood I've been flying mine regularly for 16 months with only one slight problem to date, and that was a replacement wing following a mid air collision with another D2500.
Thanks Guys,

Ordered the motor and spinner from Century and an Aeronaut prop from Puffin Models, so should be good to fly again soon

Thankfully the motor mount is fine, the motor coil is still attached, it was only the shaft and bell that departed. Pretty sure the circlip failed and the whole lot pulled out. I may take my Phantom up to the field and see if I can spot the spinner and prop from above, but the grass is that long it's unlikely I'll find it.

Cheers,

Rory
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2014, 01:05 PM
United Kingdom, Sudbury
Joined Oct 2011
10 Posts
Demise of a diamond

I was flying yesterday in the most perfect conditions imaginable - a gentle breeze with early morning sunshine and lots of empty Suffolk fields where the farmer allows me to fly. To cut a short story long (as they say) I was amazed to see the Diamond suddenly rising at one heck of a rate of climb and flying itself higher and higher without any transmitter input. I managed to deploy flaps and it seemed to stop climbing, but within less than 3 mins or thereabouts the same thing happened again and this time the Diamond was becoming hard to see at an altitude way beyond sensible or safe. The word Thermal means something to me now So that's when I decided I had to take drastic action before I lost sight of the glider altogether - I inputted full down elevator and flaps to try get the glider to lose height... And that was the biggest biggest and most stupid mistake I could have made, because within seconds the Diamond entered into a 'Peregrine Falcon' power dive from which there was no escape and despite full flaps and up elevator the model never pulled out of a spiralling dive that took it into the deck. Total write off territory despite landing on cut straw, but thankfully those empty fields meant no-one injured by the glider. Phew. It could have killed someone if it had hit them...........
Will need to replace this model asap because it is a brilliant glider - but is it worth upgrading the elevator servo to a more powerful one that can push against the airstream, just in case I do another silly thing like this??
ALAN L WRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by ALAN L WRIGHT
Old Aug 08, 2014, 01:38 PM
The Shetland Flyer
Joined Jun 2008
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAN L WRIGHT View Post
I was flying yesterday in the most perfect conditions imaginable - a gentle breeze with early morning sunshine and lots of empty Suffolk fields where the farmer allows me to fly. To cut a short story long (as they say) I was amazed to see the Diamond suddenly rising at one heck of a rate of climb and flying itself higher and higher without any transmitter input. I managed to deploy flaps and it seemed to stop climbing, but within less than 3 mins or thereabouts the same thing happened again and this time the Diamond was becoming hard to see at an altitude way beyond sensible or safe. The word Thermal means something to me now So that's when I decided I had to take drastic action before I lost sight of the glider altogether - I inputted full down elevator and flaps to try get the glider to lose height... And that was the biggest biggest and most stupid mistake I could have made, because within seconds the Diamond entered into a 'Peregrine Falcon' power dive from which there was no escape and despite full flaps and up elevator the model never pulled out of a spiralling dive that took it into the deck. Total write off territory despite landing on cut straw, but thankfully those empty fields meant no-one injured by the glider. Phew. It could have killed someone if it had hit them...........
Will need to replace this model asap because it is a brilliant glider - but is it worth upgrading the elevator servo to a more powerful one that can push against the airstream, just in case I do another silly thing like this??
Alan, really sorry to hear that. A bit of reflex and less elevator might have got you out of it, although it sounds like a pretty powerful thermal! I upgraded all my servos to TGY9018MG high torque jobs - direct replacement and much more power than the default ones, 2.5kg at 6v. They are actually noisier than the stock servos though!

Hope you get back in the air soon.

Rory
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2014, 07:48 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,686 Posts
All my servos have been upgraded to Turnigy MG90S's. They've done everything I've asked of them, including some steep dives, though I admit I've never dived to terminal velocity.

If your transmitter has the capability, you can program in some crow(butterfly) mixing to use as airbrakes if you need to scub speed quickly again.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Aug 10, 2014, 08:26 PM
United States, CA, Santa Ana
Joined Jul 2010
434 Posts
BEST WAY TO BRING LOW STRENGTH OLD TIMERS AND FOAMIES DOWN IS PUT THE RIGHT STICK IN BOTTOM RIGHT CORNER. SPIN IT DOWN. SHOULD NOT SRESS IT ENOUGH TO BREAK.

Ross
harborflyer is offline Find More Posts by harborflyer
Old Aug 14, 2014, 04:22 AM
Joined Apr 2010
33 Posts
I got a D2500 and maidened it using a 3s Lipo and it was badly underpowered. So bad that on the last turn into landing it tip stalled and wrote off the fuselage. I've got another fuselage but I want to put a different motor in as I have lots of 3s lipo's and don't want to start a collection of 4s's.
I had the idea of using 2 x 3s lipo's in series and being careful with the throttle, but I'd prefer to just get a suitable motor.
Any suggestions?

John.
Crowstooth is offline Find More Posts by Crowstooth
Old Aug 14, 2014, 05:16 AM
The Shetland Flyer
Joined Jun 2008
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowstooth View Post
I got a D2500 and maidened it using a 3s Lipo and it was badly underpowered. So bad that on the last turn into landing it tip stalled and wrote off the fuselage. I've got another fuselage but I want to put a different motor in as I have lots of 3s lipo's and don't want to start a collection of 4s's.
I had the idea of using 2 x 3s lipo's in series and being careful with the throttle, but I'd prefer to just get a suitable motor.
Any suggestions?

John.
The stock motor won't handle 6S even with throttle management. You could put in a more powerful 3S motor but in all honesty you'd be best going with 4S. I run mine with a 2650mAh 4S and there's plenty of power, even with my FPV kit and extra 3S battery installed she'll almost go vertical.

I shut the motor off when I've reached altitude and only use it again for the next climb, unless I'm soaring where I'll likely not touch the motor again. I only have one battery for the D2500 which does me fine - I've flown all day on just one charge! Consider that a 4S LiPo would probably cost you the same or less as a new motor (and a lot less than the stock motor) and will give you plenty time in the air.

A suitable 3S motor will likely be quite costly, something like the Hyperion GS range. These are great and very powerful motors for hot/warmliners but eat through the battery!

Cheers,

Rory
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:54 AM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,686 Posts
Try a bigger prop first. A larger diameter will give you more thrust. Just make sure your amp load is within the ESC and battery's limits.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 02:24 PM
Joined Apr 2010
33 Posts
Thanks RoryG and Bugman Jeff,
I think I'll have to bite the bullet and get some 4c's It looks so impressive in the air I figure it's best to keep it as intended.
John.
Crowstooth is offline Find More Posts by Crowstooth
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:00 PM
The Shetland Flyer
Joined Jun 2008
512 Posts
Quote:
Thanks RoryG and Bugman Jeff,
I think I'll have to bite the bullet and get some 4c's It looks so impressive in the air I figure it's best to keep it as intended.
John.
Good choice!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:01 AM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,686 Posts
I'm using Hobbyking's Rhino 4S 2350's. At $20 a piece, and pair of them is cheaper than an upgraded motor and because this plane thermals so well two batteries can easily last a few hours(or more, depending on thermals in your area).
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:23 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Any suggestions?

John.
I've only flown mine with 3S and never felt a need for more power. I even fly it with drag-inducing FPV gear on:

http://youtu.be/xz2Txx5PcZE?list=UU-...VZuuJJrhH9WrvA

Are you sure your CoG is good?
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o