Old Apr 22, 2015, 03:48 PM
Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
7,300 Posts
Mini-Review
Phoenix models Thunder Streak and Video

Regardless if you like the color scheme or the fact that they cross bred an American and Russian Icon, Phoenix Models have produced a great flying model that has really good presence in the air with no bad habits. The model features light weight construction and an attractive color scheme using Ora Cover and yes it mimics the Blue Angels. The best part is they keep improving their jet models with every release.

The model will be available at Tower soon: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFGJX&P=ML

The model is big at 62.5" long. The plug in wing spans 45". The model can be flown using a 6-7 channel radio using "y" harnesses.
The plug in wings feature a 1/2" carbon spar and and is held tight with a 4mm bolt. The full flying stabs pivot on solid carbon rods.
Even the vertical fins use carbon tubes to key them to the fuselage. Functioning struts and wheel are included with the model that are designed to work the popular E Tracts. There's a link in manual for the retract units.

The full ducting is fiberglass and the bifurcated exhaust is two parts and well done. The model can be built in a week of evenings.
The instructions clearly show the steps of assembly.

I used a DS51 AXI HDS fan with a HET 700-68-1200 motor on 10S and a Castle Creation edge 120 HV ESC
Glacier 5300 5S packs were used.

Servos are Futaba 3174 on most controls and Futaba S3010 on the full flying stabs a Futaba 3004 was used for steering.
The servo mounts readily accept a 28-29 mm long servo. The elevators and steering servos are full size.
Guidance is provided by a Jeti DS-14 with telemetry.

I built the model per the instructions with a few minor changes.

I redrilled the holes in control horns, 4mm further out and with a 1/16" drill so I could use Dubro Kwik links.

I used Dubro monster ball links for elevator as the stock ball links had too much free play in my opinion.

I glued the flap control horn facing rearward to provide better mechanical advantage.

I had to grind a small flat on the one side of the landing gear struts to ensure the retracts could cycle fully before contacting the retract body.

I trimmed part of the flange on the inlet lips. The full lip would not allow them to fit over the fuse.
I am using an inlet ring on the fan so I cut the ducting about four inches short of the fan face.
I also found the inlet ducting was a bit small in diameter where it glues to the inlet lips. I resolved this by cutting strips of 1/16" balsa grain short and then gluing these strips around the front edge of the inlet, once I confirmed the fit I sprayed the inlets with a coat of gray primer to give them a finished look. I then put a bead of thick epoxy (Hysol 9462) around the outside of the ducting and pushed them into the back side of the inlets. I blocked them in place to allow the glue to cure. The exhaust ducting is three pieces. I found with the DS51 I had to trim 3/8' off the front of ducting. The individual left and right ducts were slide into place and checked for proper fit and alignment to the aft end of the fuse. They were then glued the forward section with epoxy and I used a two screws to hold the each exhaust duct to the back of the fuse.

I balanced the model per the plans at 90 mm and I found the model balanced perfectly with the gear down and is slightly nose heavy with gear up.

The test flight was completely stress free. I chose to do the take off clean. Once in the air I found model needed a bit more expo on the ailerons and slightly higher elevator throws. I found that a few clicks of up elevator was needed as expected. After a few circuits I decided to set-up for landing. I dropped the gear and then lowered the flaps to check for pitch change a click or two of down elevator was added, glad my radio feature separate trims through flight modes. Once on final I simple adjusted the throttle to hit my landing spot, the roll out concluded the flight and had me smiling.
A second flight allowed me to do a bit more fine tuning and then I was ready to do a video flight.

To date I have made 6 flights with the model and I am very pleased. It tracks solidly has great presence in the air, and slows nicely for landing.

This will be another very popular jet from Phoenix Models.

Thunder Streak EDF Jet ARF 90MM (3 min 15 sec)
Robert Belluomini is online now Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Last edited by Robert Belluomini; Jun 23, 2015 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Change thread title
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2015, 03:52 PM
Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,396 Posts
It looks like that Sport-ish F-18 type thing?
I forget the manufacturer, there was a post about it a few months ago.
AceMigKiller is online now Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Apr 22, 2015, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by nerv
Joined Jan 2007
410 Posts
Looks like phoenix model's F-27 or Su-18, lol sorry, can't help it. I like your review on their Preceptor jet, so looking forward for the review on this one as well.
nerv is online now Find More Posts by nerv
Old Apr 22, 2015, 05:10 PM
Find More Posts by TTRotary
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,388 Posts
I think it's called the Thunderstreak or Thunderclap, or whatever.

Hopefully the 90mm version is the one tested, but both would be nice. Jetfan 120?

Where's the Gripen?
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Apr 22, 2015, 05:14 PM
Find More Posts by efflux RC
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
9,512 Posts
Putting a Jet fan or a HDS in it Bob.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Apr 22, 2015, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by sam51401
Fly more Foam
United States, IN, Sellersburg
Joined Jun 2004
1,127 Posts
You know that now the cat is out, you will have to fly it at the Jet jam!!!!!!!!!!!
sam51401 is offline Find More Posts by sam51401
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:21 PM
Find More Posts by Eddie P
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
8,033 Posts
You got one! I bet it flies nice.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:42 PM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post

Hopefully the 90mm version is the one tested, but both would be nice. Jetfan 120?

Where's the Gripen?
That's what I was thinking --does anyone recall the name of the model expo it was featured in -can't find the thread . TIA
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Apr 23, 2015, 02:38 AM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,388 Posts
German model expo with that gorgeous Mirage. Should come up easy on goofgle Phoenix models Vietnam website has the new big EDFs listed with specs. There is also a 335, I think. This all looks very good and is a breath of fresh air in EDF-land.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 01:47 PM
Joined Dec 2008
6,856 Posts
Thanks--Just wanted to add the pic.

Two sizes available--90mm and 120mm.

http://phoenixmodel.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=611

http://phoenixmodel.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=612
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Apr 23, 2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 05:14 AM
Find More Posts by lrb75
United States, VA, Springfield
Joined Oct 2004
424 Posts
Is anyone going to import them?
lrb75 is offline Find More Posts by lrb75
Old Apr 24, 2015, 05:53 AM
Joined Dec 2000
7,300 Posts
[QUOTE=lrb75;31435105]Is anyone going to import them?[/QUOTE

I would think http://zigirc.com/jet-edf
Will eventually
Old Apr 24, 2015, 06:04 AM
Joined Dec 2000
7,300 Posts
Since CBTL blew my cover early . Yes it is the new Thunder Streak from Phoenix. I will weigh all the airframe components and post the weights.
I can tell you it is very lightly built. The duct work is well made and the bifurcated exhaust has an interesting design.
Last edited by Robert Belluomini; Apr 24, 2015 at 06:11 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 06:27 AM
Joined Dec 2008
6,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post

Where's the Gripen?
I wasn't the first one!--
Old Apr 24, 2015, 07:43 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,388 Posts
C'mon I was close!

Robert, will you be testing the 90 as well?

What's the word on the Gripen?