Old Jan 19, 2014, 09:19 PM
Find More Posts by highonthai
ไม่เป็นไร
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2013
255 Posts
Discussion
Tech-Areo single battery IBEC set up?

Installed a Tech-Areo IBEC in my new 74" Edge 540.
Wanted to keep things simple and decided to use the IBEC so that I could only have to use one battery.
I'm using a LIFE 2100 mah battery and am being told it is not enough to run the servos receiver and ignition. And I should use at least 2 battery's.
Does anyone use the single battery setup?
Also does anyone know what the DLE 30 ignition draws?

What are my options at this point?
Thanks
highonthai is offline Find More Posts by highonthai
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:07 PM
Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
736 Posts
I'm just finishing up a 74" Edge myself. My setup is an AR9110 Powersafe Rx with HV servos running the Tech Aero Ultra IBEC for the ignition. I'm using 2 1300mah lipo batteries so I have 2600mah total. At this point all I've done is ground testing but I'm estimating a minimum of five 10 minute flights before I will need to recharge. Seems most folks use a single battery setup on 50cc or smaller. I chose the Powersafe Rx mainly for simplicity and a little redundancy.
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:56 PM
Find More Posts by kiwibob72
NZ - Where Kiwi's love to fly.
New Zealand
Joined Apr 2010
148 Posts
I'm personally setting up a 73" Sbach 30cc at the moment, I have a 4 cell 2400 NiMh on the ignition which is more than enough (I can also mount to the firewall and charge remotely from a charge port meaning I don't need to remove the cowl to charge it).
For the mains (as I running HV servos all round) I went with a 2 battery power distributor with two 2cell Lipos as I personally like the redundancy it gives on top of coming with an inbuilt CDI kill switch, as while I get the redundancy I like, being as those powersafe receivers (which I would actually prefer re reducing links in the chain) are HUGLEY expensive down here, I can get the power distributor I'm using and set that up at about 1/4 the cost of buying that receiver locally - I have only ever brought a receiver online once, it didn't work too well, so now I only opt to buy receivers locally even if they are expensive locally (our consumer laws are also VERY protective towards the consumer).
On a side note, I've never understood why people almost always run a CDI kill switch on gas planes "just to be safe in case a servo fails", when hardly anyone ever runs a backup on the one system that is at the heart of all on board control functions, that being our receivers and servos. As any way you look at it, a 30cc aerobat is a big fast moving thing with a hell of a lot of momentum behind it when at speed, so it has to be respected, and to me, that means making sure the electrical control system (receivers & servos) is as safe as "practicable".
Just my thinking and/or 2 cents on the matter, but then as I'm more interested in scale aerobatics over 3D, I'm not quite so restricted by weight as other are.
kiwibob72 is offline Find More Posts by kiwibob72
Last edited by kiwibob72; Jan 20, 2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:23 AM
Find More Posts by kerwin50
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,919 Posts
I would do 2 flights with her on a fully charged battery and see how many amps you are using.
I have a DLE 30 on a 2500 LiFe pack. I'll charge it after 3 or 4 flights though generally it only uses a 1000 for 3 to 4, 15 minute flights.
I have the HV ign on my DLE 20 and use a 500 ma lipo pack on it. It weights very little.
Your motor will pull 1 amp at WOT but for most 3D stuff there is a lot less current draw on the Ign
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:39 PM
Find More Posts by gravityking
Demonstrations on Saturdays!
United States, CA, Woodland
Joined Jan 2012
494 Posts
I have the Tech Aero on 4 of my planes of which 3 run dual batts but my 20cc Edge I wanted to skimp on the weight so it runs on a single 2300mAh A123. I can easily do 3 flights before I recharge. I don't remember how much got used I just recharge after 2 flights religiously.

If I get out today I'll measure it to satisfy all our curiosity!
gravityking is offline Find More Posts by gravityking
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:52 PM
ไม่เป็นไร
Joined Aug 2013
255 Posts
Thanks guys,
I have no problem recharging or even switching in a new battery after a couple of flights.
But with that said, I went ahead and ordered another matching life 2100 bat and a Smart fly BatSave. That way I'll have 4200 mah and I'll still use the IBEC to feed both the ign and the rx.
GravKing, please lets us know what you come up with.
Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:23 PM
Joined Jan 2012
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highonthai View Post
Thanks guys,
....................GravKing, please lets us know what you come up with.
Thanks
Got some numbers for you. Had 3 - 7 minute flights, checked and had plenty of power so took 1 more. So 28 minutes flying time plus 5 minutes doing some tuning and a few chicken runs up and down the strip deciding if it was to windy to fly.

Put 580mAh back in it just now. I would remind everyone that A123 and life batteries discharge differently than Lipo or NiCad in the respect that they supply a constant 3.2 + - volts until discharged where the others drop voltage as they drain so with that test I feel very good about running the one battery.

Plane specs:
Seagull 60 size Edge 540
RCGF 20cc
6 HiTec analog servos (plus choke)
and of course the Tech Aero.
Last edited by gravityking; Jan 25, 2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:05 PM
ไม่เป็นไร
Joined Aug 2013
255 Posts
Wow, that's great. Approximately 30 mins and 580 used out of 2300 mah.
Some of the guys at my field just won't listen to the one battery system, even after the numbers show that its not a problem to use just one Life battery.
I understand the want for redundancy (safety) but, I have not ran across anyone that has had a problem in just using one battery. (yet)
Thanks for the info, I'm sold....
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:16 PM
Joined Jan 2012
494 Posts
I understand doubling up too. Like I said I have 3 other planes with dual batteries and power distribution boards but they're much larger and have more servos and digital on top of it. But for a small 3D the price for the extra weight is not worth it.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 06:08 PM
Find More Posts by kiwibob72
NZ - Where Kiwi's love to fly.
New Zealand
Joined Apr 2010
148 Posts
On my 30cc Sbach, I'm running 7 high torque digital metal geared servos in total. One on each of the flight control surface's, and one each for throttle and the choke. I think you'd be hard to find an equivalent 50cc sized scale aerobat running any more than what I'm using.
As I said above, it's a personal thing for me, and weight is not quite as important to me as I'm not into 3D being as I prefer the idea of scale aerobatics, as I just like the look of them more.
At the end of the day, yes, I could have gone with one battery for the receiver/servos, but I found that just too limiting for what I want from one days flying (and I hate having to take charges, generators etc to the field with me).
It all comes down to what you want from your model, and what your on board electronics systems need to meet the specific "want" that you have.
kiwibob72 is offline Find More Posts by kiwibob72
Old Jan 26, 2014, 06:16 PM
Find More Posts by ace4rc
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highonthai View Post
Installed a Tech-Areo IBEC in my new 74" Edge 540.
Wanted to keep things simple and decided to use the IBEC so that I could only have to use one battery.
I'm using a LIFE 2100 mah battery and am being told it is not enough to run the servos receiver and ignition. And I should use at least 2 battery's.
Does anyone use the single battery setup?
Also does anyone know what the DLE 30 ignition draws?

What are my options at this point?
Thanks
I run a single 2600 Li-Io in all my planes and can fly several flights without any worry. So far the most mah's I have had to put back in after a day was less than 900mah. I am however installing three in a 50%'er I'm building, but, it has a lot more on board electronics.
ace4rc is online now Find More Posts by ace4rc
Old Feb 17, 2014, 01:24 AM
Find More Posts by Dale 813
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,506 Posts
Use to have a 30% Edge with a 55ccDLE. Ran some Sick Ass Digital servos. Used ONE 2500mah A123 with a IBEC on a Smart fly switch. Got in 5 5-7 minute flights with no problem what so ever. The IBEC is designed for the use of Only one Battery. But if I were to want 5000 mah. I would use two 2500 batts. I understand some of you can't see the Voltage on the batteries unless you remove the canopy. In my case. I use a Aurora 9 and can see the RX battery voltage at a glance.

Yesterday. Bought an Older 30% Yak with a DA50. He had a 8oz batt for ignition and two for RX. I Ripped out the 3 Batteries that weighed 20.7oz and will only Use One A123 battery. Ordered the same exact setup as my last plane. So I'll be shedding 1 lb from this plane. Can get really sweet A123's from Wrongwayrc.com or chief
http://shop.wrongwayrc.com/product.s...&categoryId=10

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-c...ur-6252hc.html
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Last edited by Dale 813; Feb 17, 2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:37 PM
Find More Posts by orthobird
Joined Feb 2014
272 Posts
how much does an IBEC draw in a 10 minuter flight?
orthobird is online now Find More Posts by orthobird
Old Jun 08, 2015, 02:24 PM
Find More Posts by nitrowing
Joined Jul 2005
100 Posts
I am testing 3050mah LiFePo4 with Ibec on a DLE35,will report with findings
nitrowing is offline Find More Posts by nitrowing