New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2015, 08:12 AM
Find More Posts by Yellowspider
AMA 504253 Born in the USA
Hatboro Pa.
Joined Feb 2005
886 Posts
Hi Kev.
I have been watching your build for the past few years. So how is it coming along? How is the little one doing? I have been building since 1989 Have about 60 plus aircraft in the hanger now. I too am building a large plane for the past few years. I also have a daughter but she is 34 now. You would think that 18 would be the magic age that would set you free. No way! That is right about when you really need to keep an eye on them and them Drooling hounds that are always chasing them. I still have to keep an eye on my little girl. LOL

But anyway, I have been building a Lockheed Connie. 133 inch span and just over 10 feet long. Yep going to be electric also. I really hope to have it done by 2016 flying season. I have a couple of questions for you. You said your fuz was in two pieces. I too want to do that. How are the two halves connected? I was going to put small access panels on the sides of mine to open and just spin four nuts to permentley mounted carriage bolts. A tweak with a wrench and that would be it. But I am wondering how yours is setup. Pics would be nice on that.
Also what power system di you come up with?
I see you have the batteries in the nacelles as I plan on doing the same thing.
You are hooking up 2 packs in parrell correct? To give you 6C on each motor?
Now I have not looked it up yet. (Metric system) What does 22kg come out to in pounds.
The Connie after an extreme diet should come in around 50 pounds.
I like to over power things a tad so I can use power to get out of trouble. So I have a few ideas on motors, batteries and ESC. I really do not like to cut corners here . I do not need a motor or esc failure on something this big, expensive and labor to pound it into the ground. So hey when you get a chance lets see where your at on your build.
I live about 3 miles where P-3s flew in and out all day long. The base has since closed but they still have one on display at their museum if you need any close up shots of details let me know. I don't know if I can get in the cockpit or not. Maybe.
Thanks and looking forward to you reply.
Dave
Yellowspider is offline Find More Posts by Yellowspider
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2015, 08:29 AM
Find More Posts by N1EDM
Brockton, MA
Joined Nov 2003
437 Posts
Hello Yellowspider,

Pardon me for butting in here, but you mention that you're about 3 miles from where P-3's flew. I presume you're talking about Willow Grove??? Were you part of their P-3 community?

I flew into and out of "The Grave" many times (my home base was South Weymouth, MA) and remember taxiing past the old Pitcairn Autogyro Factory as we'd head down for takeoff.

Bob
N1EDM is offline Find More Posts by N1EDM
Last edited by N1EDM; Jun 27, 2015 at 06:25 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 02:01 PM
Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
4,230 Posts
Yep, Hatboro is right next to Willow Grove.

I grew up in Fort Washington.
barracudahockey is offline Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Jun 28, 2015, 05:17 AM
Find More Posts by Kevc
Australia
Joined Nov 2011
154 Posts
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the email. I have been working on the locking mechanism for the two fuz connections for a while (8 months) as like you I dint want a failure during flight. The plane is designed with 4 tubes connecting the fuz sides together. This is a really good system as it also eliminates twisting of the fuz. So I would recumbent that. 2 on top 2 on bottom.

I installed 2 bolts per side which are countersunk into the top so you just screw 2 bolts per tube down and they tubes are locked together. I'll get you some photos in the next day or so. I tripled up a small section of the formers in order to get enough bits for the screws.

I'm looking at hooking 2 packs to make 6 cells per motor. I am going to use Motrolfly motors. I am thinking there 4325 380kv motor either with 18x8 2 blades or 16x10 3 blade. The 3 blades would almost be scale for the connie would be a great choice. I have been using this 3 blade set up for about 3 years in a patternship and it's bullet proof. I originally had a 19x8 on it with the same motor but ground clearance was an issue so switched to the 3 blade and it's been great. I'm using the 120amp Motrolfly speed controller as well with the heat sink cut out as standard it is covered with plastic and I didn't like that so exposed the heat sink.

Your connie and my P-3 will almost weigh the same weight 22kgs is about 46pound or around that without googling the exact answer.

Little girl is going great she loves planes so that's a massive plus. But she doesnt sleep so building time is very limited. Can't wait till she learns how to sleep longer than 1.5 hours and wakes at that spacing all night. Then building will come along.

Would love to see any photos of the connie. I'll get some updated photos up here soon. Did a bit more sheeting today so it's coming along.

Kev
Kevc is offline Find More Posts by Kevc
Old Jun 28, 2015, 06:21 AM
Hatboro Pa.
Joined Feb 2005
886 Posts
N1EDM yep Barracudahockey is correct. And so are you. It is the old Willow Grove Joint Reserve air base. It is actually in Horsham Pa. And no I was not part of the Milliatary at all. I enlisted right after high school to be a Heli tech but got bounced out due to only having one kidney. I was a few years to young for Nam and was really pissed because the older guys I grew up with on my block were all killed. Not one came home. So I was young and dumb and wamted to just kick some ass.
But anyway. The old Pitcarin auto gyro factory is still there. I think it is some sort of machine shop. Since the base closed the runway is all over grown and just sort of going down hill. There is so much beautiful runway left to fly R/C on but the base even though has been turned over to Horsham Township still is operating drones out of there. Well not actually flying them. But they are piloted from there and flying somewhere else in the world. Pretty neat. But it would be cool to see them actually take off and land. I never missed an air show there. Always had VIP commander passes to his personal tent. I knew a lot of guys that either flew or worked there. The guy that lived next to me was the laod master on the KC-135 and C-5s Then a few doors down was a guy that did avionics on all the A-10s My son in law was in the 467th military police there. I was even there the day the f-14 crashed at the air show. Ugly to say the least. Shuts the entire show down. He actually crashed off base on Horsham road. I saw the mushroom cloud from my back deck when an A-10 went down behind the base also. Both of these pilots were said to be hot dogging.
They have a beautiful musume on the property that is free to the public and you can actually walk up and touch the display planes. Hours are wed to sun I think. Then if you do ever come down just a few miles away in Johnsville navt base. Also closed. We use their runway to fly our bigger stuff and our jets. They have restored the centrifuge and you can go check it out but it is by apt only. So call ahead. I posted pics on here when it reopened.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 06:52 AM
Hatboro Pa.
Joined Feb 2005
886 Posts
I was afraid I was using to much space so I will continue here. and I forgot to spell check. LOL.
Kevc,
Well as long as your getting some time in on her that is what counts. I do know the feeling. The more it looks like a plane the more we want to get her done. I like your idea of the tubes along with the blots. I am going to do that. I have already tripled my formers where the fuz will come together.

Do you think only 6C will be enough? Of course I want to just fly scale but I want enough power to go vertical if need be. LOL Just to much time and money. Speaking of money. 500.00 for the kit. 85 for the plans, 1000.00 for the landing gear. and a small forturne for the motors, speed controls , batteries, props, brakes, and servos. I have everything except motors, escs, batteries ,landing gear and brakes. oh and props. So I figure about another 2500.00 less batteries. Which I will but last.

I am sort of stalled right now with it being flying season and saving up for the landing gear. Robart makes the gear for my connie and converts it from air to electric. It will cost around 1000.00 bucks and is special order. It will take about 4 months for them to make it for me. I really need it in hand before I can start my sheeting or planking in the case of this plane.
Glad to here your little girl is loving daddys hobby. Mine liked them when she was little but nw she is 34 and just enjoys that I like them. She bought me a new Hitec Aroura 9X for my birthday in may. When I told here my older transmitter was acting up. I sent it back to Hitec and they fixed it for free. And it was well out of warranty. So now I have the Aroura 9 and the new Aroura 9X .

I do keep her car in top notch running condition though. Yeah yeah I fix cars for a living. Not helis as planned years ago. But hey if I were a heli tech I probally would not like flying right? So now I hate cars but love the money. It has destroyed my back pretty much but I am the kind of guy if I can stand up everyday I am going to work. I see so many people taking advantage of our system and just not working. But gladly take a check from the gov every month. I cannot do that. I am going to head over to the Willow Grove Musume this afternoon after flying to see what they have done lately. They are always changing aircraft inside. I have not been there in about a year. I drive by like 3 times a week though. I will see whats up with their P-3 and grab a few shots. Just so you can see one of our local planes. Any requests for PICS? How about Ted Williams F9F panter all busted up. They have pics of it and his helmet and flight suit in a glass case. They also have on loan a Great Planes C-47. Yep they have one of those a local model builder built it. I have the Eastren Airlines version of it. I just have to get the motors in. and get it to the field.

Okay guys are calling to go flying. So no time for a spell check again.
Keep plugging away on the P3

dave
Last edited by Yellowspider; Jun 28, 2015 at 06:59 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 07:01 AM
Find More Posts by N1EDM
Brockton, MA
Joined Nov 2003
437 Posts
Hi Yellow,

Don't want to get the thread off-topic here but I went to ASW School there. Spent a fair amount of time and got photos of those planes when they were behind the fence, before that little museum was put there.

I also remember the Bazaar on the main road, and some, ahem, sailor-related stores down the road a little ways. :-) :-)

As for the Pitcairn Autogyro factory, I believe that Amelia Earhart borrowed one of the factory built Autogyro's and took off from Horsham Field (before it was named Willow Grove) and set a woman's altitude record and duration record. A little bit of history in your own back yard. I only knew it was there because Pitcairn Autogyro was painted on the factory's concrete wall and, though faded, was still there 60+ years later.

I was at Floyd Bennet Field in Long Island, now a National Park, and a group flies RC off of one of the taxiways, with permission. The police also use the runways for their heli's, etc., so the agreement is that when a full-scale is departing or arriving, a horn sounds and all planes get on the ground immediately until the traffic clears. Everyone is happy. I wonder if that would work at NAS???

Thanks for the 'interlude' folks; just a walk down the P-3 Memory Lane.

Bob
N1EDM is offline Find More Posts by N1EDM
Old Jun 29, 2015, 06:40 AM
Find More Posts by Kevc
Australia
Joined Nov 2011
154 Posts
Hi Dave,

Photos f the back of the cockpit please hard to get I'm sure.

The motors I'm looking at are slightly over 7kgs of thrust each. 4x7kgs =28kgs on a 22kg aircraft I reckon that's heaps of power never hovered a P-3 before haha. Not enough power to do that but would be funny.

For the Connie retracts speak to Bruce at Century Jet Models. He mad me for retracts for the P-3 they are also electric and were designed to fit my mounting bracket. Just needed to supply langing gear mount size and also leg length and bang I had some great looking retracts.

Kev
Kevc is offline Find More Posts by Kevc