Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by daedalusrobert, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:13 PM
United States, GA, Valdosta
Joined Jan 2009
583 Posts
Discussion
91" Yak 54 Design Contest

First of the year approaching fast and with that comes my first "big" plane...the new Extreme Flight 91" Yak 54!

I was lucky to be one of the two winners in the design contest held for the new scheme. Originally the announcement was that the red and black shown below was going to be one of the schemes however, due to recent issues with black Oracover, a darker blue will be used in its place (edit...48" planes are here; 91" scheduled to appear around the first of October...).

The other design is by a very talented and cool guy out on the west coast. His really cool scheme is here: http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=75377

I based my red/white/blue scheme on the original "Russian Thunder" design but used the newer "splinter" type stripes and moved the focus point of the starburst up to the motor area instead of the front of the wing on the original. The new Extreme Flight 60" Extra (awesome looking plane!) uses the splinter approach too - it follows the original starburst layout more closely than mine. My design is also inspired by the 50e SebArt SU-29...love the red front but I didn't care for the curved lines at the rear of the fuselage so I used the splinter here too! I have it coming from a point about mid way up the landing gear to give the appearence of busting though the colors.

I'm going electric with her and have had lots of help from the RCGroups folks with setups! I think I've decided on:

Motor: Hacker Q80-8M
Prop: Mejzlik 24 x 10
ESC: Castle ICELITE 160HV and Castle CapPack with Jeti 150A anti -spark
Servos: Hitec HS-7950TH
Receiver: JR921
Batteries: (2) 6S 5000 mAh in series and a 2S 1200 mAh receiver pack

Here are some of the other schemes I submitted:
daedalusrobert is online now Find More Posts by daedalusrobert
Last edited by daedalusrobert; Aug 30, 2013 at 04:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:22 PM
Carlsbad, New Mexico
Joined Feb 2004
156 Posts
Congrats. I really hope he goes with the red and black. The other yak will have red, white and blue. So I think he should go with the black. This is just my opinion. Can't wait to see your scheme come to life. Both winners were awesome.
noahb is online now Find More Posts by noahb
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:48 AM
Joined Jan 2009
583 Posts
Thanks noahb! I like the red and black too...but the Gator fan in me wants the red white and blue!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:12 PM
<<x USMC
USA, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Jun 2010
663 Posts
Very cool Robert! and thanks noahb!! I can't wait to see our schemes on these monsters. Looking forward to seeing yours in the the air, video would be bonus!! So I finally got a chance to maiden my MXS prize for this contest here is the video:

64" MXS EXP - Maiden (6 min 11 sec)
r0beert0 is offline Find More Posts by r0beert0
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Jan 2009
583 Posts
Awesome flying Beerto! That plane is in trouble if you are flying her that good on the maiden!!!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:39 PM
<<x USMC
Joined Jun 2010
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalusrobert View Post
Awesome flying Beerto! That plane is in trouble if you are flying her that good on the maiden!!!

LOL thanks Robert! I still have lots to learn but I feel like I connected really well with her and I'm pretty sure she's gonna help me hone my skills by not being afraid of trying out new maneuvers since she flies so well. If this is any indication... I can just imagine how the Yak will fly!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Jan 2009
583 Posts
Well come on down near the middle of February...ill fix you up!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:05 PM
<<x USMC
Joined Jun 2010
663 Posts
Wish I could make it out there...all the cool events are on that side of the country!!
RCG Plus Member