Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:03 AM
Craig
Joined Mar 2012
57 Posts
Discussion
Club fuel

Does anyone want to get a drum or two of nitro fuel for club members to purchase as needed? I was thinking that we could use the club funds for the initial expense and as it is bought back by the members this fund would be replenished. This would be a way cheaper way to buy fuel.
3DNinja is offline Find More Posts by 3DNinja
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:32 AM
USA, IL, McHenry
Joined Jan 2011
73 Posts
fuel

Sounds good, bring it up at the meeting.
rodman47 is offline Find More Posts by rodman47
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:41 AM
Craig
Joined Mar 2012
57 Posts
Here is the fuel that I use and the price list (note the the jugs are 1.25 gallons but I was thinking of getting the drums), and anyone who has seen my fly knows that I do not have engine trouble with it.

http://www.magnumfuels.com/files/pricelist.pdf
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:50 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,239 Posts
We've tried this before. It doesn't get far. It's too difficult to get people to agree on which blend and how much, where it will be stored, etc, etc,.

I looked at blending the fuel once, even cheaper.

One problem getting a drum, you have to have empty jugs, so it needs to be planned well in advance so people have jugs saved or it will take all year to empty that drum.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:56 AM
ONEHANDRC
United States, WI, Genoa City
Joined Dec 2007
601 Posts
And who is going to police it? Not trying to put down the idea, just thinking on the negative side. Course us electric guys will want freshly charged lipos on hand for us! LOL!!

Gino
gallfer is offline Find More Posts by gallfer
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:25 AM
Craig
Joined Mar 2012
57 Posts
For the type of flying that most of the nitro guys use at the field I think 15% would work fine I talked to the guy at Magnum fuels and it is 550.00$ per drum shipped (10.00$ per club member gallon!) give a little for tax.. Magnum fuels did say that he would ship some jugs with the drum for 2-3$ per jug, so that puts it at around 13.00$ per gallon club member price with a new jug. I checked with a local hobby shop and for the cheapest equvalant the hobby shop sells it for 21.00 per gallon plus tax. Now, I dont dow about youns but I like the sound of half price fuel! This is a substantial drop in fuel cost for our fellow members. I could police it myself and put it im my garage if we agree on it and just send the fuel report and money to Gino. I could however put i lightning rod im my yard and hook the jumper cables up to a series of lipos for Gino hahaha!
Last edited by 3DNinja; Apr 17, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:13 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,311 Posts
I don't use that much glow fuel, but what I do use is 15% just as Craig mentioned. I'd be in for a few gallons; at $10-13 per gallon, that is a huge savings.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:48 PM
flyindave
United States, IL, Fox Lake
Joined Apr 2012
25 Posts
fuel

Hi Craig. Count me in on 15%fuel. But at the meeting there was mlxed feelings. One thing to keep in mlnd is elect.only guys. &gassers guys. And the other half don't fly?. I've already used up a gallon +. have a good one.Dave.
flyindave is offline Find More Posts by flyindave
Last edited by flyindave; Apr 26, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:51 AM
Craig
Joined Mar 2012
57 Posts
If I had the 550 bucks, I would buy it myself and redistribute the fuel to members as they needed at 10$ a gallon. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to drop that cash. If we used club funding which has way more than what it would take to do this in it it would get paid back ( I thought this was the kind of stuff was the reason for club funding in a not for profit organization) we could even distribute extra fuel at cost at the fly ins if members are afraid that we would not use a drum. If the club cannot agree on this, mabe some of us nitro guys could split up the cost of a drum. ( I would go in for 100 bucks and use ten gallons this summer easily, so if another 4 and a half guys did this we are set) We could even go in together on a few cases, this way everyone could order what blend of fuel they want (although the price would be higher this way). We can argue about all the obsticals that would come up as to reasons why this can not happen, but seriously guys this is not that complicated. There is no obstical that cannot be overcome easly on this.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:01 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DNinja View Post
If I had the 550 bucks, I would buy it myself and redistribute the fuel to members as they needed at 10$ a gallon. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to drop that cash. If we used club funding which has way more than what it would take to do this in it it would get paid back ( I thought this was the kind of stuff was the reason for club funding in a not for profit organization) we could even distribute extra fuel at cost at the fly ins if members are afraid that we would not use a drum. If the club cannot agree on this, mabe some of us nitro guys could split up the cost of a drum. ( I would go in for 100 bucks and use ten gallons this summer easily, so if another 4 and a half guys did this we are set) We could even go in together on a few cases, this way everyone could order what blend of fuel they want (although the price would be higher this way). We can argue about all the obsticals that would come up as to reasons why this can not happen, but seriously guys this is not that complicated. There is no obstical that cannot be overcome easly on this.

I would think you could bring this up for a vote at the next meeting (that the club front the money for the drum of fuel)...the question that I'm sure will be raised is this: what guarantee does the club have that they will get all their money back at the end of the year? We would need someone(s) to possible offer an assurance that the club would be reimbursed if the fuel was not sold...I doubt that would happen, but I'm sure it will come up. We might need a few people to agree to reimburse the club at the end of the year if all the fuel was not sold. I could agree to cover perhaps $100 at the end of the year in the unlikely event that all the fuel wasn't sold. If we had others that would do the same, I think we could get the club to front the money...?
-Mike
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:19 AM
USA, IL, McHenry
Joined Jan 2011
73 Posts
I'm up on the fuel thing-already burned 3 gallons and that is mixed flying with the electrics.Contacted Adventure hobbies in wheeling to see what they could give us for discounts on case prices as this might work out well too. Should have more details later on today. Will post the info when I get it. Rod B.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:44 PM
USA, IL, McHenry
Joined Jan 2011
73 Posts
Fuel prices for club members

These are the prices I got from Adventure hobbies in wheeling. Omega 15%-$16.79 gallon, Cool power 15%-$16.79 gallon, Wildcat premium 15%-$14.96 gallon, Wildcat premium extra-$15.42 gallon, Wildcat 2/4 stroke 15%-$16.82 gallon. These prices include taxes. Anyone know of any better deals???
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:19 AM
USA, IL, McHenry
Joined Jan 2011
73 Posts
Fuel

Buying fuel in quantity sounds like a great way to go. I've gone thru a case already and will need to buy more. There has to be enough glow guys in the club to make this worthwhile.....
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:02 AM
USA, IL, McHenry
Joined Jan 2011
73 Posts
Homebrew

Maybe we could make our own fuel??? Did some research online and it doesn't seem to be a big deal. Would need to find some area vendors for methanol,nitro, castor & synthetic oil. There are formulas online to get the right mix ratios-not sure what the cost savings would be but I assume it would be a lot less than $17 to $20 a gallon. Any thoughts???
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:18 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,239 Posts
I tried to get people involved in this a couple years ago, but there was no interest. Oil and nitromethane can be ordered easily enough, but drums of methanol can be sourced locally. I found a place in Rockford for methanol. I'd guess you could buy nitromethane from one of the dragstrips, Byron, Joliet, or Union Grove, but that's time and money. The same problems exist on getting people to agree on blends and storage. If I flew enough glow, I'd make a barrel myself and offer it to members, but I can't (won't) store it here.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz