Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:58 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair View Post
Ozzie, either you know a trick or your timing was right! I've visited that page a thousand times.....well, seems like it but nearer a couple dozen....and all I've ever seen is 90% 'Out Of Stocks'. That's the VERY first time I've ever seen it that....'loaded'. BIG Thanx!!

Just ordered one....it sure looks different in that photo - hope it fits.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2011, 10:05 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,603 Posts
Hey and thanks to ALL for the multi-headsups on the airtight can. My 'idea' wasn't mine....in fact got the advice from one of the RC vendors' web page! Sure wish I could remember who, so's I could write & tell him he oughta reconsider. Still gonna use one - I mean my gawd, look how they're built! Just gotta figure a way to vent it, & already have something in mind. I might go up to a .50-cal box though....a bit more room to get the charger in there & can add some slotted foam padding.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2011, 10:16 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
That's a good idea.
I seem to remember aj was using one of these.
You owe me one screen-cleaning.
Ain't gonna charge you for that last big swallow of coffee I had in my mouth - it won't that good anyway.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2011, 10:37 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I use the supplied 1300mah even now with no problems with CG. It CAN be achieved. As Prof100 knows, I like to run lite and I have never used any of those useless weights. I have even flown it with a 3S 800mah with no ballast needed. But, I had to make a little change. Any guesses?
AJ
But you're a muy grande piloto....and don' neeeed no e-steenkin' weights!

AFA guesses....added floats -- from a Catalina? Switched landing gear over to Cragar mags? Were towing the Goodyear blimp? Hooked a 15000 kilowatt booster generator to your down-elevator trim gyro circuit? Rerouted the emergency dilithium warp containment field output to the forward deflector array?
Loaded in a lab monkey....perchance named Gene?????
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2011, 01:05 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
But you're a muy grande piloto....and don' neeeed no e-steenkin' weights!

AFA guesses....added floats -- from a Catalina? Switched landing gear over to Cragar mags? Were towing the Goodyear blimp? Hooked a 15000 kilowatt booster generator to your down-elevator trim gyro circuit? Rerouted the emergency dilithium warp containment field output to the forward deflector array?
Loaded in a lab monkey....perchance named Gene?????
Gyro.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Sep 04, 2011, 01:11 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Gyro.
AJ
I was just going to say/ask that
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Sep 04, 2011, 02:24 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Gee, didnt think of it and still have the rubber seal in there.
What about drilling small holes?
For small batteries small holes might be fine. For big batteries even a 3 inch hole isn't big enough. See this > http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355739
Go to 'Thread Tools' and 'Show Attachment in this thread' to quickly get to the photos. It blew the box open in spite of the 3 inch hole.

This one is also interesting. Cheap lipo bags just make you feel safer. Better not to have them at all.

Lipo Battery Fire Containment Test (2 min 40 sec)

Sorry if this is considered OT but I think it is a good thing that this comes up once in a while as a reminder. Now that I have been reminded I am going back to putting all my batteries is as safe a place as I can unless I am using them at the time.

Regards,
Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Sep 04, 2011, 03:02 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,052 Posts
Yet another demo of a lipo fire that was started intentionally bu shorting out the wires. Others I have seen and the ones that I have done myself by poking with a pointed stick.
I still say that one would not 'store' a lipo that has been damaged in a crash.
Other lipo fires can be started by charging at higher 'C's than recommended.
If in dought of a suspect lipo that maybe has been 'bent' over heated, or puffed. It should be placed well away from where it could cause further damage to person or property for a safe time what ever that could be.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Sep 04, 2011, 06:14 PM
flyvertigo
Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
447 Posts
Lipo fire

One of the guys I fly with had a lipo fire yesterday when his charger malfunctioned and charged his 450 mah 2 cell at 7.2 amps.
flyvertigo is online now Find More Posts by flyvertigo
Old Sep 04, 2011, 07:11 PM
USA, NY, Endicott
Joined Oct 2010
227 Posts
Bump.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papo_60 View Post
One thing I was thinking of doing was to remove the foam from where the weight is located, in the V2 back towards the fuse. I have read that some people have had problems getting the correct COG using 1300mah batteries & this would allow you to move them farther forward. Question to all is do you think this would be OK or would it weaken the nose section too much???
Thanks,
Ron
Still would like to hear if anyone has done this or if doing it may weaken the nose of the SS too much... I know that AJ says he flys his SS with the 1300 mah battery with no problems. But I also know that he is experenced enough to fly the SS with it being tail heavy. However I know that I am not & others on this forum have indicated that they had to put weight back into the nose when using the 1300 battery. Any comments or help??? TIA,
Ron
Papo_60 is offline Find More Posts by Papo_60
Old Sep 04, 2011, 07:27 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,703 Posts
Quote:
Still would like to hear if anyone has done this or if doing it may weaken the nose of the SS too much... I know that AJ says he flys his SS with the 1300 mah battery with no problems. But I also know that he is experenced enough to fly the SS with it being tail heavy. However I know that I am not & others on this forum have indicated that they had to put weight back into the nose when using the 1300 battery. Any comments or help??? TIA,
Ron
Hmmm... I had to keep 4 of the washers in mine to barely make CG with a 2150 mAh battery. Now, this is with me adding a 3 mm CF tube in the antenna slot and a 2mm spar in the horizontal stab. Experience means nothing to maintain a controllable model with an excessive aft CG. It's only feasible with a gyro as AJ did. Not rocket science, just basic aerodynamics.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:21 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Hmmm... I had to keep 4 of the washers in mine to barely make CG with a 2150 mAh battery. Now, this is with me adding a 3 mm CF tube in the antenna slot and a 2mm spar in the horizontal stab. Experience means nothing to maintain a controllable model with an excessive aft CG. It's only feasible with a gyro as AJ did. Not rocket science, just basic aerodynamics.

Ted
Something doesn't make sense to me. What CG are you using?
AJ
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:32 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Ron
If you use a CG of 72mm, you can use a 1300mah 3S1P lipo easily with no extra ballast. While the suggested CG is 60mm, I can assure you that 72mm is just as stable. If you added things like a cf 3mm tube down the antenna slot or added a CF tube on the stab, it might be impossible. I have two planes that I set at 72mm and use a 1300mah lipo and they fly perfectly. When I set the CG at 90mm, it becomes very aerobatic and really fun to fly (for me) - Yes. It does take a bit more experience to maintain stability at that CG setting. I don't consider that excessive since it is still very flyable. It is fair to say that an excessively nose heavy plane will not fly either.
AJ
Old Sep 04, 2011, 11:55 PM
USA, CA, Healdsburg
Joined Dec 2007
203 Posts
Reminder NOT to use foam-safe CA

I remember reading earlier in this thread not to use foam-safe CA on this bird. On all three of my earlier builds, I used regular CA joining the tail surfaces to the fuse. I have never had a problem with any of these planes.

I built a V2 to keep at the lake house this weekend and only had Great Planes foam safe CA so I thought "what the heck, let's use it." Got it up flying over the bluffs by the dam and was having a great time for about 6 minutes and decided to pull up with power a bit harder than I had been doing earlier. The vertical and horizontal surfaces came loose about 200' up in the air. Obviously, it immediately started a death spiral to the ground. I was very lucky, it went down in a brushy area and a pine tree and a manzanita bush broke it's fall. No damage but clearly the tail surfaces were well glued but just plain didn't stick...

Reminder to all, if you use CA on this foam, use regular CA. Going to clean off all the bad CA and use Goop on the joint.

AJ - might want to put this recommendation on the first page, discussion about foam safe vs regular CA starts on about post 600. I knew better, and it didn't end well... a nube should not use foam-safe CA on this plane.

Paul
gtoguy is offline Find More Posts by gtoguy
Last edited by gtoguy; Sep 05, 2011 at 12:01 AM. Reason: add recomendation
Old Sep 05, 2011, 12:48 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,632 Posts
[QUOTE=StarHopper44;19224755]Scotty - that thang is WILD! And I'll tell ya what -- if either was me in that photo of Nick's hand launch, that one would be going up on my wall, poster-sized!! Great shot there.

Got a 'failed camera' story for ya. Me & a couple van-loads of family went down to Canaveral to watch the planned final launch of the Shuttle Atlantis - & I borrowed a GOOD vidi-cam from a friend of mine....n

Thank providence I had my cell-phone cam at least. That's all we came away with besides some great memories! Here's a still from my family's forum home page:

I had an opportunity to be present way close to a night launch in July '99. I was a NSF VIP and was getting the royal treatment all week -- but nothing could have prepared me for the visceral experience when that baby roared off the pad. OMG. Just amazing. Now.. since that was a bit OT.. let me say that I wish I had a Night Surfer then. (well I tried to get back OT).
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by scott page; Sep 05, 2011 at 12:57 AM.