Old Jan 05, 2016, 09:53 AM
Find More Posts by phil_g
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,493 Posts
Discussion
5th Single-Channel & Retro-RC Fly-In 5th June 2016 @ Ponty

We have a confirmed date for the 5th of our very popular Single-Channel and Retro R/C events at Pontefract Racecourse, West Yorkshire, here in the UK:
5th June, 2016.

2015 has been an eventful year with lots of new retro kit appearing - on the 'pulse' scene we've seen interest growing rapidly these last few months, I'm very much looking forward to seeing a few Galloping Ghost models flying, everyone last year was fascinated by Glyn's Adams-equipped Tyro and Shauns GG Swift. I'm hoping to have a Ken Willard 'Gasser' on Galloping Ghost, cant decide whether to build a proper 'pulsed tone' GG set, or use a re-coder. One way is much easier than the other so I guess I know which is most likely!

We always have a 'theme' slot, we've had the Sharkfest, formation Galahads, a flock of Veron Impalas, and last year's was any Boddo design - a lot depends on the weather of course but biplanes and 'unorthodox' have been suggested as 'themes' for 2016...
So how about Galloping Ghost canard-biplane
What makes this event different is the traditional Single-Channel, Reeds, Pulse & GG flying, and I'm so looking forward to seeing more retro radio conversions from everyone, we've seen quite a few on the S/C forum recently.
For myself, since last year I've just a couple of new ones, the OS Pixie (which I love) which will be in the Swannee (cheers Doug!) and the RCS 'Inter 6' reeds which will be in the new Falcon 56. Also since last year theres the Kraft 71 of course with its S/C emulation mix, there should be quite a few of these in various guises! For 2016 it will be nice to see a few Ceptimus S/C sets, plenty of time between now & June to have a go & get one built!

Most of all I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again, plus a good few new recruits (or old new recruits of course!) as we've had several new members join up this year which is brilliant, it keeps the interest in S/C and Retro RC healthy and hopefully most will make it to Ponty!

Our club website hasnt been updated yet but I'm sure Terry will be on it soon: http://www.pandasaero.co.uk

... and now we have a date, I'll update the S/C website
and theres plenty of event discussion going on over on the S/C forum.

Previous years 'event videos' can be seen on Youtube channel PHILG2864

Cheers all
Phil
phil_g is offline Find More Posts by phil_g
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2016, 12:21 PM
Find More Posts by GeeW
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,546 Posts
One of these years I will make it there.......

Gordon
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Jan 05, 2016, 05:45 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Joined Jul 2007
1,493 Posts
As per last year the 2016 "Single-Channel & Retro R/C Fly-in" is a two-day event, Saturday the 4th is for general flying, practise or just fun - this is great for those who travel a long way, plus we have permission for overnight camping again, then Sunday the 5th is the actual event. Dave Cowburn will be doing control-line demos and have-a-go sessions, and SAM will be running their vintage events again in parallel with ours,
If you've never been to a Ponty do, please come & try it... its something different you won't see anywhere else...
Not this side of the 1960's anyway

Cheers
Phil
Last edited by phil_g; Jan 05, 2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2016, 07:50 PM
Find More Posts by Balsabird
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,293 Posts
Phil, if you do this again in 2017, there is a slight chance, if my evil plans come to fruition, I can attend. I'm anticipating the video for -16 already
Balsabird is online now Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Jan 06, 2016, 04:39 AM
Find More Posts by kkphantom
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
717 Posts
Highly recommended, we went last year and had a great day! ( it's a bit far for us to go every year but we would if we could) A terrific bunch of people.
Gary
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Jan 06, 2016, 06:44 AM
Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
4,656 Posts
Yup, it's a great, low-key do. Although there are 'competitions' like spot landing etc, most just turn up, fly their models and have a bloody good time doing so!

Bear in mind though that it is a 'Single Channel AND Retro' event - so you don't actually need a single channel model, nor will you be tarred and feathered if your model is covered with film (like my Ohm8). Just don't try and fly an Extra on the Sunday please!! I'll admit that having attended two years with Vintage R/E/T models, this year I am building a Graupner Topsy for single channel push button control for the event. But as long as your model is Vintage or in the spirit thereof, come along and fling it skywards. We have a lovely big field to crash it in! (Actually, should we have a 'Most Spectacular/Most Damaging Crash' award?)

Gary and his lovely wife (who is simply far, far too good for him ) turned up from Oz last year (with a model no less) and I hope were made to feel welcome by everybody there (if not the temperature!). I know he enjoyed the burgers. However I'm not sure that we will be able to equal his 9055 miles 'furthest travelled' record this year!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Jan 06, 2016 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Added pics
Old Jan 06, 2016, 12:07 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Joined Jul 2007
1,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Gary and his lovely wife (who is simply far, far too good for him)
Yep, bonza Sheila that one

The picture of Paul and 'the hat' reminds me to say that if you dont fancy building, the HK Durafly Retro-Junior makes an excellent model for reeds, Pauls is a 6 channel set on rudder/ele/throttle (two channels per function with reeds). Once trimmed its also a good rudder-only model!
Old Jan 07, 2016, 08:57 AM
Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
1,094 Posts
Maybe my employer will find it important enough for me to return to the UK in time for the event!
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest