New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2015, 03:00 PM
Find More Posts by Protocooler
sloping addict
France
Joined Feb 2003
1,541 Posts
Discussion
Solutions for too short gearbox shaft (Reisenauer)?

Hello,

I just got a superb Peggy Pepper 2524-2950 kV with the 5:1 Reisenauer micro edition 4-plus gearbox (special reinforced / high power version).
http://www.reisenauer.de/artikeldetails.php5?aid=1510

I have a glider with a recessed bulkhead so it comes out that the 20 mm gearbox shaft finally only protrudes 7 mm out from the gider's nose. But I would need 10-11 mm to be on the safe side to fit a Klemm / HM type turbo spinner => so the shaft is too short by 4mm.

Note: A Neu motor with P32 Gearbox has no issue because the gearbox bearing would fit through the bulkhead, providing an extra 7mm. So I want to keep the glider sound for the P32.

So what are the possible solutions assuming I don't want to cut the bulkead and/or the nose off?

- Are longer shafts avaiable for Reisenauer Micro Edition 4-plus ?
- Are there spinners that can mount closer to the bulkead ?
- shaft extenders ?!

The glider I try with is an F3J/F5J Eraser with 40mm spinner.
The target glider is an F5J Jaro Muller Egida with 38mm spinner.
I don't have the Egida yet so maybe I will not face the issue, but I'm intersted nonetheless.
thanks
...Proto
Protocooler is offline Find More Posts by Protocooler
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2015, 07:19 AM
Find More Posts by JeffD
Joined Mar 2000
1,221 Posts
Maybe you can cobble something together using an eflite spinner. http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLSP200. There is a 1.5" version -> 38mm.
JeffD is offline Find More Posts by JeffD
Old Dec 22, 2015, 08:53 AM
Find More Posts by Bmwjoon
United States, NJ, Nutley
Joined Mar 2015
616 Posts
You could make a shaft extension. It would not be hard but you need a lathe. You could possibly use a prop adapter.
Bmwjoon is online now Find More Posts by Bmwjoon
Old Jan 04, 2016, 04:08 PM
Find More Posts by Protocooler
sloping addict
France
Joined Feb 2003
1,541 Posts
Thank you guys. Even with a lathe a short extension does not seem practical as I think the axis holds the 4 planetary bearings, so it is a complex part...
The eflight spinner was the idea I had (though this one is for non-folding props).

Finally the best option would be to cut a square in the existing bulhead to pull the square front of the gearbox forward through the bulkhead, and glue another motor mount flat on the remainder of the former one, closer to the nose end
Protocooler is offline Find More Posts by Protocooler
Old Jan 04, 2016, 07:53 PM
Find More Posts by ptxman
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
2,023 Posts
I ran a self-made special aluminum spinner with extended internal boss on 5mm shaft F5D model for similar reasons. It worked very well a high rpm & high G turns. It needs to be machined on a lathe to ensure hole is reamed & the extending shaft is concentric. That was for a conventional spinner style & fixed prop so it had the integral back plate. I think you are looking to put a folder spinner on?

What about this idea (probably what is being suggested). I don't really think it should make much difference to the planetary gear drive or bearings though as long as its similar rpm & torque as long as its not extending too far out. But the spinner grub screw would have to bite down on something hard (what would have been the motor shaft) so you would likely have to make the extension out of steel = weight.
ptxman is offline Find More Posts by ptxman