New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2015, 09:36 PM
Find More Posts by decreale
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Sep 2013
36 Posts
Discussion
EF-1 Pylon Racer

Can anyone suggest a good pylon racer. In the market to purchase one . Was looking at the E- Flite Shoestring but reviews are not very good. Problems with the canopy and cowl not fitting properly. Plane vibrating and breaking apart
decreale is offline Find More Posts by decreale
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:44 AM
Find More Posts by delateurj
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Oct 2001
112 Posts
Hi,

I've built three shoestrings and coordinate the EF1 racing around here and seen a lot of Shoestrings and Proud Birds. From those that have built both the Shoestring and the Proud Bird, I have consistently heard the fit and finish on the Shoestring is better. But on both, and I think all the arfs, getting the cowl pieces to mate up perfectly with the fuse is a challenge. Getting to mate up good enough is not very hard. Never heard of them breaking up except when hitting the ground, pylon or other plane. I have personally seen at least 50 heats with Shoestrings in them. I think right now Shoestring and Proud Bird are best available arfs. Proud Bird bit tougher to go together, bit easier to take off and land, a bit easier to pull to hard in turn and snap roll. Shoestring opposite: Easier to put together, needs more care on rudder on take off but more forgiving in the turns.

Regards,
Joe.
delateurj is online now Find More Posts by delateurj
Old Nov 19, 2015, 06:18 PM
Find More Posts by ronin4740
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
4,692 Posts
Haven't built a Shoestring but I have built a few Proud Birds. Assembled with the recommended servos they come in a bit short of the minimum weight limit. The wood is sometimes brittle or green. Cutting ABS plastic wing fairing and gluing it to the fuselage is a PITA. Unless you like hunting for your canopy use some packing tape to secure the trailing edge.

But with all that I like the way it flies and rounds pylons. But DO get the elevator throw right - too much and yours will end up in the dirt just like my first one! The epoxied one piece wing seems strong and doesn't seem to flex in the turns like some others.

It's my go to plane and it is as fast as anything else I've competed against (Shoestrings, Invictus, Pogos, Scarlet Screamers/Outrageous and Dara's).
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:46 PM
Find More Posts by c-182
RC Addiction
Southeastern Michigan
Joined Oct 2007
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740 View Post
Haven't built a Shoestring but I have built a few Proud Birds. Assembled with the recommended servos they come in a bit short of the minimum weight limit. The wood is sometimes brittle or green. Cutting ABS plastic wing fairing and gluing it to the fuselage is a PITA. Unless you like hunting for your canopy use some packing tape to secure the trailing edge.

But with all that I like the way it flies and rounds pylons. But DO get the elevator throw right - too much and yours will end up in the dirt just like my first one! The epoxied one piece wing seems strong and doesn't seem to flex in the turns like some others.

It's my go to plane and it is as fast as anything else I've competed against (Shoestrings, Invictus, Pogos, Scarlet Screamers/Outrageous and Dara's).
Ditto !
c-182 is offline Find More Posts by c-182
Old Nov 20, 2015, 03:37 PM
Find More Posts by Bird09
Joined Jun 2015
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-182 View Post
Ditto !
Ditto +1. Putting together my Proud Bird had a few challenges, namely the plastic fairings, but otherwise was not too bad and the kit was pretty high quality. With my current throws, I can make fast pylon turns without any fear of snap rolling, though I don't doubt too much elevator could cause problems. The Proud Bird is my favorite plane that I own currently, and even though I don't compete, it makes a very quick, fun, and precise flying sport plane using the race setup (eflite power 25 + 4s + 8x8 prop.)
Bird09 is offline Find More Posts by Bird09