Old Nov 14, 2015, 01:25 PM
Find More Posts by Louierc
Just Plane Nuts
USA, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Dec 2008
679 Posts
Discussion
Charging UMX packs in the field

I have several Eflite Celectra chargers that I use for indoor season. These are for charging up to 4 of the 1S UMX packs. They are powered by 4 "D" cells (when not on AC power), which will last for a while and have to be replaced.

Has anyone tried using a 2S LiPO in place of the dry batteries ? Can the charger take 8 volts ? Or a big 6V NiMH receiver pack that would be rechargeable.

Seems like a good idea - any suggestions ?
Louierc is offline Find More Posts by Louierc
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2015, 02:04 PM
Find More Posts by Audioguru
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Oct 2011
944 Posts
Some D cells are 4000mAh. That would make a large and expensive 2S Li-Po.
Audioguru is offline Find More Posts by Audioguru
Old Nov 16, 2015, 07:42 AM
Find More Posts by Vince Herman
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,745 Posts
I went another direction.
Buy more batteries and don't bother charging at the field.
For the last several years, I have purchased 50 or 100 1s160 Nano Tech batteries from HK. $1.47 each. Add shipping. Add a few failed batteries. That works out to $2 each.
Now, my whole flying group has access to cheap plentiful batteries.
When there is a youngster with their UMX they got for Christmas, and the have ONE battery to fly/charge/fly, I give them a hand full of last year's batteries.
Vince Herman is offline Find More Posts by Vince Herman
Old Nov 16, 2015, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by Louierc
Just Plane Nuts
USA, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Dec 2008
679 Posts
That will work for the standard 125 and 180 mAh batteries. We are also using 240s, 350s and 550s.
Louierc is offline Find More Posts by Louierc
Old Nov 25, 2015, 09:11 AM
Find More Posts by mawz
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Nov 2015
524 Posts
For a quicky, you can get D-sized sleeves for Eneloop AA NiMH's, allowing you to just swap them in. These may be marginal on voltage.

For the little packs in the field (anything compatible with the USB charger), it's hard to beat a USB charging brick and the USB chargers. 2000+ mAh and it will charge your phone & camera too.

For larger batteries, you could just get a car booster pack and run either a standard DC charger or even AC if the pack has a inverter built in. My pack has 12V car accessory & USB output + a light. Charges off the wall and can run up to 3s chargers with no issue all day long.
mawz is offline Find More Posts by mawz
Old Nov 27, 2015, 03:53 PM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2009
14,744 Posts
I simply use my regular Thunder Power 820CD dual-channel charger to charge all of my RC batts & packs - UM or otherwise. If I'm at the club field, I power it with the car battery. If I'm at home, I power it with a high-current DC supply. And if I'm at an indoor flying spot, I power it with a lightweight switching supply that puts out just enough current to fast-charge a pair of my TP 325 70C UM/UMX 2s packs at full rate, which is 12C. That covers anything I'd fly indoors.

I find the above to be much more preferable than screwing around with 'toy-grade' chargers that aren't programmable and/or don't display charge data.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Nov 27, 2015, 06:45 PM
Find More Posts by DaveG
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,788 Posts
Yah. My Thunder Power charger was one of the best investments I've ever made.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG