Old Feb 03, 2016, 08:13 AM
Find More Posts by dsa44
United States, OH, Chagrin Falls
Joined Apr 2013
855 Posts
Moonbeam, that looks awesome! Just curious how you do your invasion stripes, I have another project to add them to my mossie, and experimenting with various methods before I commit. And I haven't found a good white paint yet that is not too thin and see thru without many coats
Cheers
dsa44 is offline Find More Posts by dsa44
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2016, 08:46 AM
Find More Posts by jiggz
"its not a hobby its obsession
United Kingdom, Meopham
Joined Jul 2014
5,343 Posts
Try revell white ..I found it to be a lot thicker and covers very well ..the tamiya white needs lots of coats
jiggz is offline Find More Posts by jiggz
Old Feb 03, 2016, 08:49 AM
Find More Posts by icarus the 2nd
Fly as high as the sun
Joined Oct 2014
715 Posts
I recently used the Revell white on my Freewing Mosquito, needed 2 coats for full cover.
icarus the 2nd is offline Find More Posts by icarus the 2nd
Old Feb 03, 2016, 10:17 PM
Find More Posts by Moonbeam
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,658 Posts
I have a measuring stick with the scale D-Day stripes marked on it. I first figure out where exactly the starting point is on, say the wing, mark it with a pencil and place several dots to mark the edges. Then mask it off with Frog Brand painter's tape, then spray it with Rust Oleum brand Painter's Touch flat white primer. Once that's dry (and it only takes about two coats and all of 5 minutes per section), I mark the black stripe edges the same way with a pencil.

Here's where it's weird. I haven't found a decent tape that won't peel the white up, so I use this orange rubber type tape from when I was an aircraft mechanic. It's used to wrap around fuel and hydraulic lines, sometimes called "100 mph tape". I use a short piece that I can stretch flat with my left hand fingers and then hand brush the black with my right hand. I do the edges, then I can remove the tape and fill in the middle of the lines. Sometimes I might have to take a small detail brush and touch up the edges with any flat white paint..... Testors, Tamiya, any craft store brand.

What I really need to do is a video of the process. I'm hoping to do that with the next plane.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Last edited by Moonbeam; Feb 03, 2016 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Flying monkeys.
Old Feb 04, 2016, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by TLMARK
The faster the better!
Southern England
Joined Jan 2009
2,412 Posts
Whoops

happened yesterday at Dallas Executive Airport
TLMARK is offline Find More Posts by TLMARK
Old Feb 04, 2016, 09:28 AM
Find More Posts by jiggz
United Kingdom, Meopham
Joined Jul 2014
5,343 Posts
Ouch!! That looks expensive ..
Anyone got a spare prop assembly they can offer the poor chap..

How's your flying been mark with all this horrid wind ..
Old Feb 04, 2016, 09:35 AM
Find More Posts by jiggz
United Kingdom, Meopham
Joined Jul 2014
5,343 Posts
A link to some aerial footage of the wounded stang
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Wor...367529111.html
Old Feb 22, 2016, 09:43 PM
Find More Posts by Viper46
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined May 2014
152 Posts
Hey all, I got a DD last year and finally feel ready to maiden her. But, I need help with programming my newly acquired DX6 TX. I was going through the transmitter trying to set it up and honeslty, am kinda lost. Could anyone give me a rundown on pretty much all your settings.

I started new model, not sure which wing to go under aircraft type but picked wing: elevon. Couldn't find one with dual flaps. Anyway, please let me know if you could give me all the settings to put into my DX6.
Viper46 is offline Find More Posts by Viper46
Old Feb 23, 2016, 02:42 AM
Find More Posts by jiggz
United Kingdom, Meopham
Joined Jul 2014
5,343 Posts
It won't be elevon .. that's sounds like its a setting for delta wings with no tail ..elevon is aileron and elevator mixed .. is there an 'acro' setting?? . Sorry I have dx6i
Old Feb 23, 2016, 05:13 AM
Find More Posts by santanig5
United States, NJ, Roxbury Township
Joined Nov 2014
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper46 View Post
Hey all, I got a DD last year and finally feel ready to maiden her. But, I need help with programming my newly acquired DX6 TX. I was going through the transmitter trying to set it up and honeslty, am kinda lost. Could anyone give me a rundown on pretty much all your settings.

I started new model, not sure which wing to go under aircraft type but picked wing: elevon. Couldn't find one with dual flaps. Anyway, please let me know if you could give me all the settings to put into my DX6.
wrong thread
santanig5 is offline Find More Posts by santanig5
Last edited by santanig5; Feb 24, 2016 at 05:22 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 06:34 AM
Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
7,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
I have a measuring stick with the scale D-Day stripes marked on it. I first figure out where exactly the starting point is on, say the wing, mark it with a pencil and place several dots to mark the edges. Then mask it off with Frog Brand painter's tape, then spray it with Rust Oleum brand Painter's Touch flat white primer. Once that's dry (and it only takes about two coats and all of 5 minutes per section), I mark the black stripe edges the same way with a pencil.

Here's where it's weird. I haven't found a decent tape that won't peel the white up, so I use this orange rubber type tape from when I was an aircraft mechanic. It's used to wrap around fuel and hydraulic lines, sometimes called "100 mph tape". I use a short piece that I can stretch flat with my left hand fingers and then hand brush the black with my right hand. I do the edges, then I can remove the tape and fill in the middle of the lines. Sometimes I might have to take a small detail brush and touch up the edges with any flat white paint..... Testors, Tamiya, any craft store brand.

What I really need to do is a video of the process. I'm hoping to do that with the next plane.
Try the yellow frog tape. It is the least tacky of that brand and I have had good results with it.
GiusedtoBe is online now Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Feb 23, 2016, 07:27 AM
Find More Posts by Shirty
Aussies fly Down Under!
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2012
3,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper46 View Post

Viper I use futaba, been a long time since I used spektrum - but I can tell you elevons is NOT what you want. Elevons are mainly used for jets. You also don't want a set up with two flaps.

What you are looking for is the one that says one flap/one aileron. Normal tail. (Ailerons and flaps are y channeled, so the plane type setting will contain one of each)

Ok edit: did some research for you. The dx6 is a fairly basic radio, you don't get much in the way of wing type options etc, obviously cause it's a limited number of channels to begin with.

Pick airplane
Acro
Wing type is as I said above, 1 aileron, one flap
Tail is normal.
(can't believe I remembered all that lol).

Here's the whole manual for you, go to page 34 for wing type etc. but suggest you read the whole thing. Hope it helps.

Ps: *important: if you are new to the hobby I'd humbly suggest to meet up with someone who has some experience. If you don't know about setting up your rates, expo, end points, flap settings etc - you could inadvertently try to fly your model with the wrong settings and it will crash. (Like elevons). If you do know about this stuff, then follow the dx6 manual and the reccomended throw settings etc in the DD manual. I know it can all seem a bit daunting when you are new, and all these settings and terms you've never heard of, but trust me you will soon pick it all up. The very best thing you can do when new to the hobby is seek the help of someone who knows what they are talking about, like at a club, or an experienced flyer flying a bird if not the same, at least similar to the one you have. (Successfully flying I should add....).

Given you are in the USA, I'd expect you will find your local hobby shop also a good place to start, most will happily explain terms etc and how things work to help you out.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/896...page=34#manual
Shirty is offline Find More Posts by Shirty
Last edited by Shirty; Feb 23, 2016 at 07:42 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 07:39 AM
Find More Posts by Coot83
You haz hurricane?
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Jun 2012
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty View Post
Viper I use futaba, been a long time since I used spektrum - but I can tell you elevons is NOT what you want. Elevons are mainly used for jets. You also don't want a set up with two flaps.

What you are looking for is the one that says one flap/one aileron. Normal tail. (Ailerons and flaps are y channeled, so the plane type setting will contain one of each)

Ok edit: did some research for you. The dx6 is a fairly basic radio, you don't get much in the way of wing type options etc, obviously cause it's a limited number of channels to begin with.

Pick airplane
Acro
Wing type is as I said above, 1 aileron, one flap
Tail is normal.
(can't believe I remembered all that lol).

Here's the whole manual for you, go to page 34 for wing type etc. but suggest you read the whole thing. Hope it helps.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/896...page=34#manual
Viper, as shirty said is pretty much the breakdown of the set up for the dx6i. Remember that unless you put your flap servos or ailerons are on independent channels, they will always be regarded as one aileron and one flap channel as they normally have a Y-connector for the two servo leads going into just one channel. Another way of looking at this as well is if you needed dual ailerons and flaps you would need a 8 channel receiver (2 extra for independent flaps and ailerons) and a 8 channel TX which the dx6i wouldn't be able to do. Also, many times with FMS ESCs, they will require you to arm them initially in order for the motor to engage.

If this is the case, after you have binded up your plane do this simple procedure:

1. Turn on TX and select DD profile
2. Set the throttle stick on your dx6i to the complete UP position
3. Plug in battery
4. Wait for the ESC to emit some beeps and then after the first long beep return your throttle stick to the bottom of the TX.

What this process will do is confirm the stick range and unlock motor from the esc settings. When I had my first FMS bird it took me a little bit to understand this.

Besides the acro ( plane) setting and also setting the wing to 1 ail and 1 flap that should be it. Remember to double check the control surfaces (aileron, Rudder, Elevator) to confirm that they are indeed working in the proper stick movements and if any need to be reversed you can simply do that on the dx6i under one of the servo categories and set that individual servo to REVERSE instead of NORM.

Coot
Coot83 is offline Find More Posts by Coot83
Last edited by Coot83; Feb 23, 2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 08:33 AM
Find More Posts by icarus the 2nd
Fly as high as the sun
Joined Oct 2014
715 Posts
icarus the 2nd is offline Find More Posts by icarus the 2nd
Last edited by icarus the 2nd; Feb 23, 2016 at 08:35 AM. Reason: sry bad post
Old Feb 23, 2016, 09:14 AM
Find More Posts by Shirty
Aussies fly Down Under!
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2012